what if bad company 3 or BF4 or call of duty sequel were an open world FPS RPG ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for poovannaorcbane
poovannaorcbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 poovannaorcbane
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts

think about it.... OPEN WORLD free roam fps rpg hybrid, an inventory system, squad mates like in DA origins who can be commmanded etc. and a non linear storyline and non linear gameplay etc !! thoughts ?? military fps genre needs new life!!

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
if client side hit detection i'm in
Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

think about it.... OPEN WORLD free roam fps rpg hybrid, an inventory system, squad mates like in DA origins who can be commmanded etc. and a non linear storyline and non linear gameplay etc !! thoughts ?? military fps genre needs new life!!

poovannaorcbane

The result would be this.

The console shooter fans would freak out. Since this type of game could not exist on consoles (due to restrictions put on by XBL and PSN) all of the CoD freaks would lose it. It would be incredibly stupid for long time fans to not be able to play the game, they would be outraged. Also, consider the fact that the game just wouldn't have the same feel as shooter fans are used to, they want to pick a server and shoot things, not spend hours figuring out inventory and crap.

Maybe if a new IP came out attempting this it would succeed, but not as a sequel game.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

First I would rather have the RPG elements ditched. I cant think of a single fps whose "RPG" elements did not detract from the shooting aspect.

Second, I am not sure CoD would work like that. Battlefield could work better, but even that, would be best without any of this RPG wannabe mumbo jumbo. And a lot of storytelling is something I do NOT want in an fps, especially considering the horribly low standards of storytelling within the gaming industry (adventure games aside). Either way, in the end it dephends on the execution.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Nah I just want BC2 with less bugs and improved physics and gameplay... Good enough for me, if it was what you say then I'll pass, never liked Crysis and hardly like Borderlands so open world FPS aint my thing.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Won't "ever" happen, BF and CoD are BF and CoD. Just Cause series, Saint's Row series, GTA series and other open world shooters are an entirely different thing with a completely different scope, execution and purpose.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
No. Here's my reasoning. These types of faced paced shooters tend to attract a crowd that wants immediate action with little downtime. Introducing RPG elements can easily overcomplicate things. Besides, who likes being told what to do by some 'commander'? I want to see BF4 incorporate all of the amazing things, and add MORE. More guns, vehicles, detailed maps, gorgeous graphics with more colour to them, more exotic locales, and more player customization. I couldn't care less about the SP, considering these games are basically bought for their MP potential. I would even go as far as scrapping the SP entirely, and focusing development solely on MP.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Adding dungeon-crawler elements remove any neccesity for depth in gunplay. It's the reason why so many flock towards the tasteless "modern military shooters" as the sole act of leveling up draws a sense of betterment, despite there lacking all substance in gunplay. So what is it you want? A good FPS or a good dungeon-crawler? You can't have both.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#9 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Yeah, they could do that, or we could just play ARMA.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#10 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I always hoped that BF3 single player would be far more open than it was, imagine having multiple objectives in a city scape, being able to choose to infiltrate a small base in order to take a tank. Making a shortcut through a building using explosives. Or just picking any building to snipe enemies and if you don't kill them quick enough, a small team is dispatched via chopper or streets. All that would be hard to direct and implement though. You'd probably need some squad commands etc.

In terms of RPG type mechanics well I assume you would look at something like Stalker, being able to get bandages, food, ammo, weapons, vests. You could add vehicle things as well. I'd change it from stalker though. For example I would make it so you are basically the only survivor left in your squad and the zone is far too hot for anybody to extract you. But you can make short calls to HQ for updates and advice, but if you stay on too long more enemies come so you need to move, or set traps. You might get assistance from civilians or they might lead you into an ambush. You could find squad mates along the way. Maybe even make tough decisions like taking injured squads or leaving them.

Hmm the more I think about it, it certainly could work really well. I don't think it will happen anytime soon because the audience rather likes the scripted linear ride.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing Battlefield having an open world campaign like Arma 2 where it's a possibility to lose an objective and still play on.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Probably more applicable to a Battlefield type game. Call of Duty is a linear corridor shooter that will never change, Activision make far too much money from it.

The idea itself is sound though :)

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
That's not what multiplayer shooters are about and Battlefield is kind of about the multiplayer for the most part.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
What we need is a huge open world ww2 fps/rpg. Being able to move around the battlefield, taking orders, leading a squad out on patrol to ambush, or taking a few troops to reinforce a sector under attack. You would have skill points, and would use them to unlock new abilities, attachments for weapons, better ammo etc.