What happens to us if AMD/ATI dies?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

What will happen?

I don't know if I will be willing to pay the price of a market without any competition.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
If they die Intel & NVidia will rule the roost and prices will remain higher for longer periods than currently due to their being no competition! But thats if they dont decide to go into each others markets to have a go......for example Intel are saying that they are now making a graphics card.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

AMD/ATI will not die. They may get bought by another company, which will hopefully keep releasing desktop parts, but there's no way in hell the company is going to just up and disappear.

While the new acquisition is underway, we'll probably see some pretty lazy releases and high prices from Intel and Nvidia though. Except possibly on the graphics front, but since Intel sounds like they're going the GPU-in-a-CPU route, it might not even be a direct battle as such.

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
That's the worst thing that could happen to the 'PC market', its a basic economic recipe for market failure which leads to many things such an unemployment, and productive inefficiency (i.e. rubbish GPU's and CPU's)
Hitman_887

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hitman_887
Member since 2008 • 316 Posts
Some other company will enter the market.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 yoyo462001
Some other company will enter the market.Hitman_887
extremely unlikely, the barriers to entry to the grpahics card market is too high, even if a new firm entered it, it would be extremely easy for nvidia to push them straight out. it would take 5+ years minimum for a new firm to enter. (only a company the size of VIA might be able to but that's still a long shot)
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
Prices would increase and quality would decrease due to a lack of competition.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
It wont happen but they might bet bought up. AMD cpu's are good but ATI gpu's are bad IMO.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Luminouslight

It wont happen but they might bet bought up. AMD cpu's are good but ATI gpu's are bad IMO.angelkimne

I am hoping the 4XXX series will bring ATI back into the lead.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yoyo462001
Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.PandaBear86
extremely unlikely, however nvidia is already a monopoly though.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Luminouslight

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.yoyo462001

I believe Microsoft is more of a monopoly than Nvidia is.

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yoyo462001

[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.Luminouslight

they have always been one and yeah they are on the verge of being a 'virtual monopoly' (100% market share), and from what ive read they got fined a very large amount of money for 'restrictive practice's' (stopping other firms from entering the market), but because of the nature of the computer industry its hard to regulate monopolies.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PandaBear86

[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.yoyo462001

Extremely unlikely? So you think that Intel would have have smooth sailing if they had 99% market share? And that anti-monopoly bodies would have absolutely no problem whatsoever? If you say so...

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.PandaBear86

Extremely unlikely? So you think that Intel would have have smooth sailing if they had 99% market share? And that anti-monopoly bodies would have absolutely no problem whatsoever? If you say so...

I think he means that it's extremely unlikely for a government body to take the role as Intel's competition.

Should AMD drown, another company will buy them out and take their place. No big deal.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PandaBear86
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.Wesker776

I think he means that it's extremely unlikely for a government body to take the role as Intel's competition.

Should AMD drown, another company will buy them out and take their place. No big deal.

When I said that an anti-monolpoly body would replace AMD, I did not mean that in the literal sense, but in a figurative sense. Intel would be in court over anti-trust charges, so they would be fighting them in court, not in processor market.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Luminouslight"]

[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.yoyo462001

they have always been one and yeah they are on the verge of being a 'virtual monopoly' (100% market share), and from what ive read they got fined a very large amount of money for 'restrictive practice's' (stopping other firms from entering the market), but because of the nature of the computer industry its hard to regulate monopolies.

Qualified: it's hard to regulate de facto monopolies--monopolies that emerge naturally through the competitive nature of capitalism (aka "winner economics").
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="Luminouslight"]

[QUOTE="yoyo462001"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]Intel would have anti-monopoly government bodies as their new competitor to replace AMD.HuusAsking

Qualified: it's hard to regulate de facto monopolies--monopolies that emerge naturally through the competitive nature of capitalism (aka "winner economics").

OK, I'm getting slightly confused here.

When you mention the term "naturally", are you referring to yoyo's comment about the [complex] nature of the computer industry (i.e. Microsoft emerging as the 'natural monopoly')? Or are you referring to a successful, dominant firm in a market situation, and the rewards gathered from doing so?

Sorry for asking, but I'm an undergraduate Economics student, so I sort of cling onto comments that revolve around economics. :P

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts

What will happen?

I don't know if I will be willing to pay the price of a market without any competition.

SinfulPotato

They might as well since they keep letting Nvidia/Intel kick the crap out of them ever since DX10 and C2D were released. I keep waiting for them to answer back, but so far they got nothing.

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts

What will happen?

SinfulPotato

They might as well since they keep letting Nvidia/Intel kick the crap out of them ever since DX10 and C2D were released. I keep waiting for them to answer back, but so far they got nothing.

zidane345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zidane345
Member since 2004 • 695 Posts
microsoft will enter the fight
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17830 Posts

disaster.

intel would have a monoply and would get sloppy. the reason intel have been so brillaint lately is that there trying to beat AMD accross the board. if AMD werent there then intel would get very sloppy and released over priced and underperforming CPUs.

same with nivida. were seeing it at the mo. because ATI are failing to give nvidia a run for their money, nvidia have gotten sloppy. theres a reason the 9800GTX has the nickname the 8900GTX.

i hope ati and AMD give intel and nvidia a good thrashing with their next big releases. nice to see companies staying on their toes.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts
Well other than the fact that AMD isn't going anywhere, let's also remember the past...
Some of you seem to have a lack of history watching the industry, so please do some research and light reading, it might help.
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts
I think if ATi/AMD gets in a bad enough spot some third party company with deep pockets will buy them. What AMD really needs is some cash and to go back in time and not buy ATi. Now they're having to compete against both Nvidia and Intel at the same time.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts

Ok, get back on topic now.

And Hitman, remove your sig.