What do those water colling systems do?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
How do they work?
Are they worth the money?
Are there any risks to hardware with them?
What sort of maintenence do they require?
Thanks
_0V3RKI11_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 _0V3RKI11_
Member since 2006 • 2267 Posts
How do they work?
Are they worth the money?
Are there any risks to hardware with them?
What sort of maintenence do they require?
Thanks
Platearmor_6
Instead of using air as the medium to transport heat away from teh CPU/GPU/whatever you're cooling, it uses water, much less thermal resistance = better cooling. If you overclock/have loud componants and want silence yes. Water+Electricity = BAD Most are safe though if you take the necessary precautions, I shall be building one soon ^_^ Water needs topping up.. No worries :P
macpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 macpop
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
How do they work? they dispurst heat better than air
Are they worth the money? yes if ur looking to oc
Are there any risks to hardware with them? yes if u dont know wat ur doing the risk of leaqs is high
What sort of maintenence do they require? nothing i dont think refilling is needed
Thanks
Platearmor_6

bassically not for newbs
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Platearmor_6
Well I'm not a total thick head by my computer is my entire entertainment system and part of my work so I think I'll look a little more into it before purchasing one.
Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
They replace the fan with a water cooling system, which is silent.
macpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 macpop
Well I'm not a total thick head by my computer is my entire entertainment system and part of my work so I think I'll look a little more into it before purchasing one.Platearmor_6
well unless u want room temps for ur stuff i say go with aircooling tuniq t 120 is the best for ur situtation, if ur gonna go mad oc then watercooling is wat u might look into, but dont come here sayin my h2o system leaked my pc is fried :P
macpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 macpop
They replace the fan with a water cooling system, which is silent.Sandro909
not true, u still got fans in teh case, depends on teh size of ur radiator, u can have 2x120mm fans in ur case cooling ur air cooled and still have 2x120mm fans in the case cooling and moving the cold air into the rad so its not always silent
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Platearmor_6
Well I do overclock but only a little, its not my strong point and I don't wanna overdue it. So I think I might just stay with air cooling for the time being.
Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts
If you dont put it in right they leak all over and blow up your PC ;)
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts

They work like waterfountain. A pump pushes the water through the tubing and through the cooling blocks. The better the blocks, bigger the gauge of tubing and bigger the barbs, the better flow and the better the cooling Pump >>> Radiator >>> CPU Block >>> GPU(s) Block >>>>Pump and all over again. You would only do it if you are into overclocking or live in a hot temperature area. The risks are that it could leak, which is why you perform a leak test before installation and use clamps on the barbs. That way the tubes are secure and avoid leaks. Its better to use 7/16" tubing instead of 1/2" cause of the tighter fit.

Some setup come as never re fill, but its better to empty it and refill it every once in a while.  which is where a fillport come into effect.  I prefer a "T" line setup instead of a reservoir.  I wont get into that, but if you want to google it, go ahead.

Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
[QUOTE="Sandro909"]They replace the fan with a water cooling system, which is silent.macpop
not true, u still got fans in teh case, depends on teh size of ur radiator, u can have 2x120mm fans in ur case cooling ur air cooled and still have 2x120mm fans in the case cooling and moving the cold air into the rad so its not always silent

Unless it's a water cooled case. :D
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="macpop"][QUOTE="Sandro909"]They replace the fan with a water cooling system, which is silent.Sandro909

Unless it's a water cooled case. :D

only if its a fanless watercooling with the whole case designated as a giant radiator. It really depends on how many fans you got already that you gain silence.
Ephexis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ephexis
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts
Topic:

Funnily Enough its A peice of Equipment that COOLS Your Pc with WATER!
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Platearmor_6
Topic:

Funnily Enough its A peice of Equipment that COOLS Your Pc with WATER!
Ephexis

Well I was trying to keep it short.
littlehelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 littlehelp
Member since 2004 • 1264 Posts

I personally don't find it necessary unless you're overclocking. It's pretty expensive and I'm sure there are cheaper ones but I'd hope you want good quality when putting water in your computer. Besides that, I remember seeing difference in heat in videos and articles and such. A high-end system difference in idling from full load with watercooling would be about a 6-12 degree(fahrenheit) decrease. Nothing too major over using normal fans. Again, overclocking.

I guess you can use the money you saved on buying cheaper processors and such if you plan on overclocking and use the money saved on the watercooling. :P

9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 9mmSpliff

I personally don't find it necessary unless you're overclocking. It's pretty expensive and I'm sure there are cheaper ones but I'd hope you want good quality when putting water in your computer. Besides that, I remember seeing difference in heat in videos and articles and such. A high-end system difference in idling from full load with watercooling would be about a 6-12 degree(fahrenheit) decrease. Nothing too major over using normal fans. Again, overclocking.

I guess you can use the money you saved on buying cheaper processors and such if you plan on overclocking and use the money saved on the watercooling. :P

animemog
it would be more then 6-12f decrease. More like 6-12c decrease for loads.