what do people think of dreamfall?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ko-ko-kachoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ko-ko-kachoo
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

?

yellowdatsun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 yellowdatsun
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
my fave game why? all I need is a sweet story with characters that seem like they are real because of amazing acting. soo real you start to feel what they feel..
ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
I have a very negative opinion on the game, as it has no ending at all (leaving you feeling like you're a complete failure) and it has no puzzles at all. All you do is walk around all the time, and you don't have to worry about overheating your brain as the game tells you exactly what you need to know all the time. Also the fighting is just annoying (just too simple to be fun) Also compared to The Longest Journey, the characters in Dreamfall are "shallow", you get to know more about minor characters in TLJ than you get of the more important characters in Dreamfall Oh, and Zoe (the lead character) is just annoying, I kept wishing for her to shut up
joppe2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 joppe2
Member since 2005 • 316 Posts
Dreamfall is a great game. I've never really been into adventure games but this one was quite easy and naab friendly so I was really able to enjoy it. It has great charachters and one of the best storylines in a game ever (IMO).
ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ADG_
But how can anyone call it a game? All you did was run around all the time If this was a movie I might have loved it... Being an adventure gamer myself, this "game" doesn't have what an adventure game needs to be called an adventure game IMHO
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
It has a great story.
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts
One of the best I ever played.
MiniBeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MiniBeas
Member since 2006 • 394 Posts
I would call it more of an interactive story where the focus was not making a game for the games sake but to tell a story where you got to control some aspects of it. To me I prefer a good story over anything else.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

Compared to TLJ, there's very little actual gameplay - the game relies on its story to keep the player interested.
Fortunately, the story is verygood, and more than makes up for the shoddy stealth/combat sequences.

I felt that Dreamfall was better than the original game. The writing is better, the characters are more interesting, and the environments offer you more than the series of random, ultra-cliche'd fantasy settings of TLJ.

The only problem lies in the ending, really. I can see why many people hated it, considering how it didn't actually resolve anything...but I liked it. It's one of those things that you either love or you hate, and I guess that it's rather difficult to love an ending like that.

Kokihatu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kokihatu_
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts
This gotta be one of my favorite games, as story seems to be really important for me and Dreamfall's story's gotta be one of the best. I also loved Zoë's voice opposed to one of the previous posters, so I had no problem with her blabbering. But the ending, oh, oh, almost cried there, and at the time not knowing if there would be any continuation to the story was pretty terrible.
emmm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 emmm78
Member since 2005 • 282 Posts
People complain for no ending, mysteries unsolved etc., but that`s just the beauty of it. I loved it and I loved the script even more. Intricate, illusive and beautiful... the perfect recipe.
ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ADG_
People complain for no ending, mysteries unsolved etc., but that`s just the beauty of it..emmm78
I just can't see what people find great about an ending that makes you feel like a complete loser Having mysteries unsolved is one thing, but to have EVERYTHING unsolved is IMHO not acceptable
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts

This is my 2nd favorite game of all time right behind Far Cry.

Amazing charecters and story. It draws you in just don't expect a ton of action.

The sequel will straighten out some things I hope

emmm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 emmm78

I just can't see what people find great about an ending that makes you feel like a complete loser ADG_

You feel like a loser because you do not enjoy the game in itself, but you just want to see a clisee story with a happy ending. Besides the script gives enough clues for us to understand and furthermore imagine what had and would happen. For you it`ll be like this : Zoe recovered, got married and had 3 kids, for the people enjoying the game it`ll be like: did her memories randomly reunite her dreams while she was in a coma or this special state of mind allowed her to swich dimensions? It leaves you wonder and lets you draw your own closure even though there is this hint that all this fantasy was just a flash before her death... but we don`t know... and that`s the beauty I was talking about...

0alex0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 0alex0
Member since 2003 • 317 Posts
It is my 2nd favorite game ever. I loved the story and the characts, and the gameplay was quite good as well. Overall it's just a great and entertaining game.
iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts
I just finished Dreamfall last week as a matter of fact. The story line is good...but I found there to be rather large holes in the plot. There are some puzzles in the game, but they aren't very difficult. The controls take a little getting used to. Graphics and sound are good. The ending was ... Let's just say it's not a Hollywood ending where everyone lives happily everafter. And that's usually a good thing. In this game's case, however, I didn't feel attached to the characters so much, so I really wasn't moved by the ending. Personally, I enjoyed The Longest Journey more. The characters were more likable to me in the first game, and the storyline was more interesting. All told, Dreamfall is a good adventure game and worth playing. It's just not my favorite.
AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

I loved Dreamfall - I can't remember a game that I finished and started from the beginning again the very same day. Yes, the combat is goofy, clunky and quite easy - since the writers and voice-acting is so well done it may have been better for them to have replaced the fights with cutscenes. That's really my only complaint - a few more TLJ-style puzzles wouldn't have hurt, but at least there was not a superfluous amount of bizarre "inorganic puzzles" so that the story-telling isn't slowed.

Don't play Dreamfall if you haven't played "The Longest Journey"... Then again, I assume you haven't because if you had nothing we can say here should even matter ;) But really, play the first one, first.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

?

ko-ko-kachoo

Fantastic story, horrible game.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ADG_

[QUOTE="ADG_"] I just can't see what people find great about an ending that makes you feel like a complete loser emmm78

You feel like a loser because you do not enjoy the game in itself, but you just want to see a clisee story with a happy ending. Besides the script gives enough clues for us to understand and furthermore imagine what had and would happen. For you it`ll be like this : Zoe recovered, got married and had 3 kids, for the people enjoying the game it`ll be like: did her memories randomly reunite her dreams while she was in a coma or this special state of mind allowed her to swich dimensions? It leaves you wonder and lets you draw your own closure even though there is this hint that all this fantasy was just a flash before her death... but we don`t know... and that`s the beauty I was talking about...

I don't care if not everything ends up perfectly (that IMHO makes a boring story... and just for your information: I'm one of the few who liked how the world turns into hell at the end of Terminator 3), but I don't like it when the ending makes you feel like you haven't accomplished anything. During the game you get 3 main missions... you fail all of them... it seems like it wouldn't matter if Zoe existed at all
emmm78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emmm78
[QUOTE="emmm78"]

[QUOTE="ADG_"] I just can't see what people find great about an ending that makes you feel like a complete loser ADG_

I don't care if not everything ends up perfectly (that IMHO makes a boring story... and just for your information: I'm one of the few who liked how the world turns into hell at the end of Terminator 3), but I don't like it when the ending makes you feel like you haven't accomplished anything. During the game you get 3 main missions... you fail all of them... it seems like it wouldn't matter if Zoe existed at all

Well it`s a subjective matter anyway... I personally enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 which was another artistic atmospheric game and a lot of people hated it so... dunno, to each it`s own

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

[QUOTE="emmm78"]People complain for no ending, mysteries unsolved etc., but that`s just the beauty of it..ADG_
I just can't see what people find great about an ending that makes you feel like a complete loser Having mysteries unsolved is one thing, but to have EVERYTHING unsolved is IMHO not acceptable

Yep, it is a great game. I love it but it felt like the game ended 3/4 of the way through. But they did it that way because there are more games intended. Dreamfall was pretty much just a second act. And second acts always end on a downer.

FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
One of the best stories ever. I don't even play these types of games, and I found this AMAZING.
ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ADG_
I could have accepted the ending if there actually was something to do in the "game", but all you do is walk around and listen to dialogs...