This topic is locked from further discussion.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

I have been noticing that when I click on to some website I get a new window popping up from a site called gzj.jsopen.net talking about installing a new player and also many hyper links on many sites are green.  For example some hyperlinks on wikipedia are green instead of blue and take me someone else.  Is this a type of spyware or did I maybe download something that caused this.  I am using windows 8 if that helps.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Yes, that sounds like spyware or some sort of adware that might have been installed bundled with some other program. Apps like Adaware will clean that off for you, but if it's adware you can just remove it from Add/Remove programs. Open that up and sort your programs list in reverse order by install date. That'll let you see the programs that have been installed most recently.

-Byshop

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
Download and run Malwarebytes,
toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 toddx77

I didn't see anything called Adaware or similar installed in add/remove programs or anything else that looks strange.  Should Idownload the Adaware or Malwarebytesprograms then?

toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

Do you have antivirus? If so, does it go off when you get this window?

Try MalwareBytes (free) and Tuneup Utilities (paid), and use their cleanup functions

Hope this helps

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Use malwarebytes or spybot - search and destroy.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I didn't see anything called Adaware or similar installed in add/remove programs or anything else that looks strange.  Should Idownload the Adaware or Malwarebytesprograms then?

toddx77

It wouldn't be -called- Adware or anything like that just as viruses aren't clearly labelled "VIRUS!!!!" in big red letters to make them easy to find. If it's a legit adware program, it would have some other name, probably like the name of the website that it keeps trying to redirect you to. If it's a malicious program, it wouldn't show up at all.

Either way, one of the mentioned programs would help you locate and remove it.

-Byshop

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

toddx77

Check here for Malwarebytes.  Install and run the program to let it search your computer and do away with whatever got installed and is now re-directing your browser.

toughtrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 toughtrasher
Member since 2013 • 268 Posts

Let us know if you ever get it figured out, so we know when to stop posting lol

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 toddx77

Well I fix it by doing a system restore,but should I install some sort of anti adware problem to help prevent it from happening again?  Also for anti virus I didn't install one, but doesn't windows come with windows essentials?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Microsoft security essentials is pretty good.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

if none of those programs ping a result and clean it for u, in the add/remove programs list, click on the date to shuffle everything to most recently installed. Anything installed after teh date this started happening can and should be uninstalled  by clicking uninstall. Otehrwise browse ur C drive into the windows>temp directory and delete everything in there (dont forget to empty recycle bin too)

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

If you have Java installed, I recommend either uninstalling it or disabling it for your web browser. It tends to have bad security holes that lets viruses through. I've gotten some that way before.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 toddx77

If you have Java installed, I recommend either uninstalling it or disabling it for your web browser. It tends to have bad security holes that lets viruses through. I've gotten some that way before.

Barujin

Don't I need Java though?

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

Download, install, and run scans with the following programs in safe mode:

Kaspersky Internet Security 2014(use the free trial)

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Spybot Search and Destroy

Make sure to update their databases before going into safe mode and running the scans. I've removed viruses/malware/etc for a lot of people this way. The one time it didn't work was on my grandparent's laptop, and I had to manually remove the virus. 

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

toddx77

Don't I need Java though?

No. Most websites don't use it for this exact reason. Almost all websites use only Flash, instead. If you need Java for games like Minecraft, then you can leave it installed if you disable it in the browser's settings so that it isn't active while you're on the internet.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Microsoft security essentials is pretty good.

kraken2109
It's pretty bad. I accidentally forgot to uncheck some toolbar when it came w/ some other program and kept messing with my browser. Avast caught it instantly. http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/avc_prot_2013a_en.pdf mse has a 92.5% live detection which is really bad
toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 toddx77

Ok, so Iwill install those programs then to check for adware.  Thanks for all the help.