What companies did some ex-Blizzard employees formed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by radiocreed (1588 posts) -

Ever since Blizzard released WOW, they totally ignored their other franchises and I've been following Blizzard games since Lost Viking up till WOW which I do not want to play. The current game I'm playing is Guild Wars from Arena Net which contains some ex-Blizzard employees. I'm also aware of Flagship studio which has Bill Roper making Hellgate. Is there any other companies out there founded by ex-Blizzard members I do not know of?

#2 Posted by XaosII (16705 posts) -

The company was already formed, but a few game designers from Blizzard did go to Perpetual, who are currently making God & Heroes:Rome Rising.

They have some pretty cool and unique ideas to make MMO's a bit less bland, but i think they are ricing too heavily on those features and wont ultimately be a very satisfying game. But i'd love to be proved wrong about it! 

#3 Posted by Erlkoenig (715 posts) -
Does anyone know if the team behind Warcraft 3 is still at Blizzard?
#4 Posted by XaosII (16705 posts) -

Does anyone know if the team behind Warcraft 3 is still at Blizzard?Erlkoenig

Yes. Most if not all of the WC3 people are there. The people that left were mostly Blizzard North employees who are responsible for the Diablo games. 

#5 Posted by cobrax25 (9649 posts) -
who are making a new game known as Hellgate London.
#6 Posted by zbiggie (363 posts) -
from what i do know some key personel that worked on the Diablo series are working on Hellgate London which so far looks so much better then Diable, I know all the Diablo fans are going to bash me for this one but I never really got into Diablo even though I have the Box set with both games, I just got bored of clicking through dungens
#7 Posted by WarV (34 posts) -

Its funny because the people who started WoW are the guys at who left to make Anet.

Guild Wars 2 is coming =) 

#8 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Flagship
Areana.net
#9 Posted by Jinroh_basic (6413 posts) -

Bill Roper was the one behind Starcraft, ie one of the rts ever made....his leaving Blizzard is not a good news for all the fans. that's why i'm not at all excited by the S2 rumour.

remember.....it's the employees that make a game....not the company. Blizzard means nothing without the talent.

#10 Posted by Teuvan (10151 posts) -

Its funny because the people who started WoW are the guys at who left to make Anet.

WarV

They learned from their mistakes and created a work of perfection. ^_^

#11 Posted by vicscrape (328 posts) -

Flagship

Arenanet

Ready at Dawn

Red 5 studios

Castaway Entertainment

Hyboreal games

Nethera Studios 

#12 Posted by xenophone (251 posts) -
The most notable people that left Blizzard are the ones that were already mentioned (i.e. Roper and a couple of guys that founded Anet).  It is ridiculous to think that just because you don't like WOW, that it was not made by the same folks that made some other games that you loved.  WOW is so successful because it was made by those same people (minus Roper).  Some of the people at Anet were actually instrumental in creating WOW.  Maybe thats why Guild Wars is a great game too?  Blizzard has not 'neglected' their other franchises since or because of WOW.  Blizzard always takes forever to make their games.  Also don't forget that they spent a lot of time and recources on a game that unfortunately will never see the light of day (Starcraft: Ghost).  Blizzard will make Starcraft 2.  I would bet that it is in developement as we speak, if only pre-pro as of yet.  In the meantime, Hellgate: London is going to kick insane ass, moreso than any game in 07 I think; and it is looking to be one of the all time great years for gaming.
#13 Posted by AFBrat77 (26738 posts) -

Blizzard people formed....

ArenaNet (Guild Wars)

Flagship Studios (Hellgate: London)

#14 Posted by bigmit37 (4043 posts) -

Bill Roper was the one behind Starcraft, ie one of the rts ever made....his leaving Blizzard is not a good news for all the fans. that's why i'm not at all excited by the S2 rumour.

remember.....it's the employees that make a game....not the company. Blizzard means nothing without the talent.

Jinroh_basic

I thought he was the one of the main designers for Diablo 2....?

blizzard has enough money from WOW to buy some great talent....They better! 

#15 Posted by pwilletts (881 posts) -
Blizzard only makes millions of dollars a month in service fees. Do 7 million X 15 dollars. the number will scare you.
#16 Posted by Hewkii (26339 posts) -
Blizzard only makes millions of dollars a month in service fees. Do 7 million X 15 dollars. the number will scare you.pwilletts
it's 8 million now, I believe.
#17 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -
Some of the WoW team moved away to make a new company dedicated to developing MMO games due to WoW's success. Not sure what the name is though.
#18 Posted by Ontain (25501 posts) -
Blizzard only makes millions of dollars a month in service fees. Do 7 million X 15 dollars. the number will scare you.pwilletts
Chinese are several million and don't pay 15 a month. they're system is totally different.
#19 Posted by AFBrat77 (26738 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

remember.....it's the employees that make a game....not the company. Blizzard means nothing without the talent.

bigmit37

he was, you are right

#20 Posted by Jinroh_basic (6413 posts) -
[QUOTE="bigmit37"][QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]

AFBrat77

he was, you are right

that, and the executive producer of both Starcraft games. :)

#21 Posted by Acenso (2355 posts) -

Flagship(Large chuck of the Diablo Team)...Are making Hellgate London

Arena.Net....What else did they make...Battle.Net^^ 

#22 Posted by juggernaut8419 (872 posts) -
Does anyone remember which one is the small company formed by ex-Blizzard employees that was making a game like Diablo? It wasn't focusing on graphics but focusing on gameplay instead. I think it started with star something.