What causes games to crash?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gammet25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Gammet25
Member since 2009 • 1064 Posts

Please spill it out to me. Every single possibility. I just had a new computer with fine gaming grunt but there are times where the game freezes suddenly and you press control alt delete and then it says Company of Heroes is not responding. This happened many times for more then one game. Please help me destroy my frustrations.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

The software uses up too much memory and causes it to overload. Yea so basically crashes are due to the fact that your PC memory is overloading. That's just my view.

But sometimes you're missing a specific file or software that the software cannot find and therefore also crashes when you try to play that specific game that's crashing. ( I.E corrupt files, missing files etc)

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Please spill it out to me. Every single possibility. I just had a new computer with fine gaming grunt but there are times where the game freezes suddenly and you press control alt delete and then it says Company of Heroes is not responding. This happened many times for more then one game. Please help me destroy my frustrations.

Gammet25

Incompatible driver for any piece of hardware, the need for a game patch, over heating on CPU or GPU, virus (not likely but possible).

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Most common thing is overheating. The average computer will overheat running a demanding game like that. Video cards over the years have gotten hotter and hotter over the years, and yet most computers still come with only one or two cheap fans.

Zakeris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zakeris
Member since 2004 • 29 Posts

nvlddmkm..*sigh*

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Some games simply take longer to respond. Take Crysis for example. On my PC whenever I change something in the Advanced Graphics tab, it takes a while to respond. When playing in a window, it'll even say Crysis isn't responding. Yet after waiting a bit, whatever changes I made takes effect and I can continue the game.

For me most of the time a game really crashed when it crashed to the desktop. That hasn't happened with any game I bought in the last 5 years though. Most of the problems were from a handful of games made during the very early part of the decade (Homeworld 2, Forgotten Battles).

I take the first part back. Some of Oblivion's saved games are flaky although just a few. Same goes for a few user saves in Crysis (the first one only) although all the mandatory/checkpoint saves are fine.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

Please spill it out to me. Every single possibility..

Gammet25
That's not really possible, but I'll do my part to add to the list anyway. User error. :)
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
The above mentioned. Also freezes may occur due to multi core cpus but the game engines you run cant handle them well. Also some games have way too many things in them and need to acess your hard drive and load and delete and reolad graphics and info all the time, like say fallout 3. At the end its mostly how well compressed is the coding on the game engine. For example cheap games have crashes because the developers are not too good to keep it stable. Also never forget drivers incompability and nvidia/ati crap left behind by a previous driver. Maybe the cooperation between ram and the rest of the hardware is not right for some games. Some users have discover that games are more stable on an average ddr2 rather some fast ddr3. Its the way the game acess your memory is not the same as the developers tested. Best course of action is to have some checked hardware to be sure there are no problems and they work well together with your rest of your hardware and have a good fast hard drive that is clean and formated properly without any traces of the old installation. Also sometimes a windows instalation might not work as well as your previous. Also defragment may help if you dont want to format. Oh and the less crap you have running when you play a game, the better. Just mentioning some theories i heard over the years.
Gammet25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Gammet25
Member since 2009 • 1064 Posts

The above mentioned. Also freezes may occur due to multi core cpus but the game engines you run cant handle them well. Also some games have way too many things in them and need to acess your hard drive and load and delete and reolad graphics and info all the time, like say fallout 3. At the end its mostly how well compressed is the coding on the game engine. For example cheap games have crashes because the developers are not too good to keep it stable. Also never forget drivers incompability and nvidia/ati crap left behind by a previous driver. Maybe the cooperation between ram and the rest of the hardware is not right for some games. Some users have discover that games are more stable on an average ddr2 rather some fast ddr3. Its the way the game acess your memory is not the same as the developers tested. Best course of action is to have some checked hardware to be sure there are no problems and they work well together with your rest of your hardware and have a good fast hard drive that is clean and formated properly without any traces of the old installation. Also sometimes a windows instalation might not work as well as your previous. Also defragment may help if you dont want to format. Oh and the less crap you have running when you play a game, the better. Just mentioning some theories i heard over the years.dakan45
Wow thanx but would Windows Vista and 7 play a significant part?

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]The above mentioned. Also freezes may occur due to multi core cpus but the game engines you run cant handle them well. Also some games have way too many things in them and need to acess your hard drive and load and delete and reolad graphics and info all the time, like say fallout 3. At the end its mostly how well compressed is the coding on the game engine. For example cheap games have crashes because the developers are not too good to keep it stable. Also never forget drivers incompability and nvidia/ati crap left behind by a previous driver. Maybe the cooperation between ram and the rest of the hardware is not right for some games. Some users have discover that games are more stable on an average ddr2 rather some fast ddr3. Its the way the game acess your memory is not the same as the developers tested. Best course of action is to have some checked hardware to be sure there are no problems and they work well together with your rest of your hardware and have a good fast hard drive that is clean and formated properly without any traces of the old installation. Also sometimes a windows instalation might not work as well as your previous. Also defragment may help if you dont want to format. Oh and the less crap you have running when you play a game, the better. Just mentioning some theories i heard over the years.Gammet25

Wow thanx but would Windows Vista and 7 play a significant part?

No. Vista and Win 7 are good for gaming, just as good (if not better now) than XP. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly causes a game to crash. Like others before posted, it could be a number of things..... Lack of power from your PSU to properly run your entire system when you're gaming, faulty hardware (could be your RAM, PSU, GPU, MB, north/south bridge, HDD), bad drivers, overheating, software problems.... A question like yours is kind of like trying to find out why a computer doesn't power up from someone that knows next to nothing about a computer. There are so many reasons why, it's hard to know where to start and ever harder to solve the problem because you don't know where to start.