What are your favorite headphones?

• 178 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6427 posts) -

I've bought and used alot more headphones since I got my AD700 but I still like them the best overall and use them the most by far going to upgrade to the AD900X when I get the money for it.

#52 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I like akg702's because of the massive soundstage

edinsftw
I'm tempted to buy a pair, but opinions seem so divided. Some people say they're comfortable, others say they're painful. Some people say the bass is fine, others say there's none. I really want to try some but nowhere anywhere near me seems to stock them.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#53 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
Sennheiser for guaranteed quality, though some of those Grados are downright sexy--and I'm not one to take looks over substance.
#54 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

kraken2109

I'm tempted to buy a pair, but opinions seem so divided. Some people say they're comfortable, others say they're painful. Some people say the bass is fine, others say there's none. I really want to try some but nowhere anywhere near me seems to stock them.

They are comfortable, but the leather takes a little while to get soft and until it does its not that comfortable and they are light and doesn't sit on top of your ear unless your around 90. The bass is there, but it is not accentuated, it goes pretty low, you can hear most sub bass and very clearly, especially on sine waves.

#55 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="edinsftw"]

edinsftw

They are comfortable, but the leather takes a little while to get soft and until it does its not that comfortable and they are light and doesn't sit on top of your ear unless your around 90. The bass is there, but it is not accentuated, it goes pretty low, you can hear most sub bass and very clearly, especially on sine waves.

So you'd recommend them? Trying to pick between them, DT880 or maybe spend more for HD600/650. HD650 is the only one I've used though.
#56 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] I'm tempted to buy a pair, but opinions seem so divided. Some people say they're comfortable, others say they're painful. Some people say the bass is fine, others say there's none. I really want to try some but nowhere anywhere near me seems to stock them.kraken2109

So you'd recommend them? Trying to pick between them, DT880 or maybe spend more for HD600/650. HD650 is the only one I've used though.

There all good headphones. I'd say try to audition them. Where do you live? Maybe you could go on Head-Fi and see if anybody's willing to let you try their headphones.
#57 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] I'm tempted to buy a pair, but opinions seem so divided. Some people say they're comfortable, others say they're painful. Some people say the bass is fine, others say there's none. I really want to try some but nowhere anywhere near me seems to stock them.kraken2109

I own a pair of HD600s. They're great. To my knowledge there isn't much difference between the two. The nice thing I've realized about Sennheiser is that they seem to go on sale a lot over at amazon. I actually got mine for just over $200. While this was around the holidays(November shopping season), I've still seen them at far below the average cost.
#58 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="edinsftw"] So you'd recommend them? Trying to pick between them, DT880 or maybe spend more for HD600/650. HD650 is the only one I've used though.Wolfetan
There all good headphones. I'd say try to audition them. Where do you live? Maybe you could go on Head-Fi and see if anybody's willing to let you try their headphones.

South East UK, nowhere seems to have decent stock anywhere near me :(

I own a pair of HD600s.  They're great.  To my knowledge there isn't much difference between the two.  The nice thing I've realized about Sennheiser is that they seem to go on sale a lot over at amazon.  I actually got mine for just over $200.  While this was around the holidays(November shopping season), I've still seen them at far below the average cost.Heirren

For some reason 650s are £280 and 600s are £300, I thought 650s were meant to be better?

K701 are £200, K702 are ~£230, DT880 seem to be £180-£200

#59 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Heirren

I own a pair of HD600s. They're great. To my knowledge there isn't much difference between the two. The nice thing I've realized about Sennheiser is that they seem to go on sale a lot over at amazon. I actually got mine for just over $200. While this was around the holidays(November shopping season), I've still seen them at far below the average cost.

650's are different. 650's are more laid-back and darker.
#60 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

It really depends what you use them for if its just listening alot of times sennheiser is better because most people like accentuated bass. I use mine for mixing/ making sounds for video games so the completely neutral and open back is necessary. Auditioning them would be the best to do, but if you cant i would go for sennheiser as a safer bet for just listening.

#61 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

edinsftw

It really depends what you use them for if its just listening alot of times sennheiser is better because most people like accentuated bass. I use mine for mixing/ making sounds for video games so the completely neutral and open back is necessary. Auditioning them would be the best to do, but if you cant i would go for sennheiser as a safer bet for just listening.

It's difficult because I'd like something as good as possible at mixing while still being listenable for average music. The AKGs are also much cheaper than the senns. Decisions :?
#62 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] So you'd recommend them? Trying to pick between them, DT880 or maybe spend more for HD600/650. HD650 is the only one I've used though.kraken2109

It's difficult because I'd like something as good as possible at mixing while still being listenable for average music. The AKGs are also much cheaper than the senns. Decisions :?

I think the Sennhiesers are just higher quality. They're the most comfortable larger phones I've ever used. While I like AKGs a lot(probably my second favorite brand--my fave phones might even be AKGs), I feel that there is some coloring to the sound with them in the same sense as listening to a pair of grados. My only gripe with the senns is the 1/8inch stock. 650s could be 1/4 inch, I don't know. Even the box on the Sennhiesers is quality--it comes in a case you can comfortably store them in, whereas the AKGs just come housed in a plastic case. The Sennhiesers also come with a two year warrantee. I think you'd be happy with either, but my recommendation is to go with the Sennhiesers.
#63 Posted by mark552495786 (69 posts) -

top-ten-best-headphones_243237.jpgStyle is key with these handsome headphones. Delightfully cushioned, these combine a cool, minimal design with matt rubbery texture and a subtle and comfy fabric headset. Add to that reasonable quality, full sound and a lightweight build and the result are a brilliant set of headphones suited to everyday use. For a sweet social feature, the ear cups also contain an extra headphone jack to plug in a second set, meaning you can share music with a friend/anyone who might require a bit of musical education.

#64 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

Heirren

I think the Sennhiesers are just higher quality. They're the most comfortable larger phones I've ever used. While I like AKGs a lot(probably my second favorite brand--my fave phones might even be AKGs), I feel that there is some coloring to the sound with them in the same sense as listening to a pair of grados. My only gripe with the senns is the 1/8inch stock. 650s could be 1/4 inch, I don't know. Even the box on the Sennhiesers is quality--it comes in a case you can comfortably store them in, whereas the AKGs just come housed in a plastic case. The Sennhiesers also come with a two year warrantee. I think you'd be happy with either, but my recommendation is to go with the Sennhiesers.

I borrowed HD650s for a month, they have 1/4" cable. I did really like them, but i did find them to be coloured, they are quite warm and not hugely detailed, which is partly good as bad quality audio still sounds good, but i'm wondering if the AKGs are more accurate. The AKGs are also cheaper. Hmm. Then there's the qeustion of 600 vs 650 too.
#65 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] It's difficult because I'd like something as good as possible at mixing while still being listenable for average music. The AKGs are also much cheaper than the senns. Decisions :?

I borrowed HD650s for a month, they have 1/4" cable. I did really like them, but i did find them to be coloured, they are quite warm and not hugely detailed, which is partly good as bad quality audio still sounds good, but i'm wondering if the AKGs are more accurate. The AKGs are also cheaper. Hmm. Then there's the qeustion of 600 vs 650 too.

Wow, really? That makes me glad I picked up the 600s. I'm baffled though, as spec wise they are almost identical. Like I said though, I think you'd be happy with either. Read some reviews--the negatives I hear around the AKGs are the comfort, particularly the leather band. What was driving the 650s? I'm really surprised to hear that. Maybe they were equalized?
#66 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Heirren"] I think the Sennhiesers are just higher quality. They're the most comfortable larger phones I've ever used. While I like AKGs a lot(probably my second favorite brand--my fave phones might even be AKGs), I feel that there is some coloring to the sound with them in the same sense as listening to a pair of grados. My only gripe with the senns is the 1/8inch stock. 650s could be 1/4 inch, I don't know. Even the box on the Sennhiesers is quality--it comes in a case you can comfortably store them in, whereas the AKGs just come housed in a plastic case. The Sennhiesers also come with a two year warrantee. I think you'd be happy with either, but my recommendation is to go with the Sennhiesers.

Wow, really? That makes me glad I picked up the 600s. I'm baffled though, as spec wise they are almost identical. Like I said though, I think you'd be happy with either. Read some reviews--the negatives I hear around the AKGs are the comfort, particularly the leather band. What was driving the 650s? I'm really surprised to hear that. Maybe they were equalized?

600's are neutral, 650's are dark.
#67 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] I borrowed HD650s for a month, they have 1/4" cable. I did really like them, but i did find them to be coloured, they are quite warm and not hugely detailed, which is partly good as bad quality audio still sounds good, but i'm wondering if the AKGs are more accurate. The AKGs are also cheaper. Hmm. Then there's the qeustion of 600 vs 650 too.

Dark is a poor description for sound. Sonically they are rather similar--the specs show this.
#68 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Heirren"] Wow, really? That makes me glad I picked up the 600s. I'm baffled though, as spec wise they are almost identical. Like I said though, I think you'd be happy with either. Read some reviews--the negatives I hear around the AKGs are the comfort, particularly the leather band. What was driving the 650s? I'm really surprised to hear that. Maybe they were equalized?

Dark is a poor description for sound. Sonically they are rather similar--the specs show this.

Specs? There have been comparisons saying the HD650 is darker. Dark means bassier.
#69 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (3117 posts) -

I have dr dre beats solos. not comfortable but can hear everything in games and music is great

#70 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I have dr dre beats solos. not comfortable but can hear everything in games and music is great

_SKatEDiRt_
Can't tell if trolling
#71 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
It sounds like you need to visit a high if shop. $300+ for headphones is a lot of cash, IMO. It's best to be happy with what you get. The other factor is amplification, especially when you visit shops as they tend to have them all connected to nice setups. I'm still looking for a really good, fairly priced, headphone amp. Shiit makes nice gear but they are pricey, and I'd like an all-in-one solution which would require an optical in because of my tvs restriction of optical only out. I'm debating picking up the new Onkyo integrated stereo reciever.
#72 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

It sounds like you need to visit a high if shop. $300+ for headphones is a lot of cash, IMO. It's best to be happy with what you get. The other factor is amplification, especially when you visit shops as they tend to have them all connected to nice setups. I'm still looking for a really good, fairly priced, headphone amp. Shiit makes nice gear but they are pricey, and I'd like an all-in-one solution which would require an optical in because of my tvs restriction of optical only out. I'm debating picking up the new Onkyo integrated stereo reciever.Heirren
The problem is next to no shops stock half decent headphones.

EDIT: Just realised how OT i've dragged this, sorry, i'll make a thread at some point.

#73 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
It sounds like you need to visit a high if shop. $300+ for headphones is a lot of cash, IMO. It's best to be happy with what you get. The other factor is amplification, especially when you visit shops as they tend to have them all connected to nice setups. I'm still looking for a really good, fairly priced, headphone amp. Shiit makes nice gear but they are pricey, and I'd like an all-in-one solution which would require an optical in because of my tvs restriction of optical only out. I'm debating picking up the new Onkyo integrated stereo reciever.Heirren
Get a FiiO E17 for a all-in-one.
#74 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"]It sounds like you need to visit a high if shop. $300+ for headphones is a lot of cash, IMO. It's best to be happy with what you get. The other factor is amplification, especially when you visit shops as they tend to have them all connected to nice setups. I'm still looking for a really good, fairly priced, headphone amp. Shiit makes nice gear but they are pricey, and I'd like an all-in-one solution which would require an optical in because of my tvs restriction of optical only out. I'm debating picking up the new Onkyo integrated stereo reciever.Wolfetan

I saw that, but it's just a dinky amp. Id buy that if I wanted one solely for iPod play, but I stick to iems for on the road. Onkyo released an integrated stereo amp, $499, that looks pretty good but I'm unsure of the headphone output.
#75 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="Heirren"]It sounds like you need to visit a high if shop. $300+ for headphones is a lot of cash, IMO. It's best to be happy with what you get. The other factor is amplification, especially when you visit shops as they tend to have them all connected to nice setups. I'm still looking for a really good, fairly priced, headphone amp. Shiit makes nice gear but they are pricey, and I'd like an all-in-one solution which would require an optical in because of my tvs restriction of optical only out. I'm debating picking up the new Onkyo integrated stereo reciever.Heirren

I saw that, but it's just a dinky amp. Id buy that if I wanted one solely for iPod play, but I stick to iems for on the road. Onkyo released an integrated stereo amp, $499, that looks pretty good but I'm unsure of the headphone output.

Ooo, up to $500.. Then why not a Schiit Asgard 2 with a JDS Lab ODAC or HRT Music Streamer II? The Asgard 2 is supposed to be extremely powerful too, more then the 1st one.
#76 Posted by Teddy_Bear123 (29 posts) -

I got a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT150s.  They do a good enough johb for me.

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-150.html

#77 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] It's difficult because I'd like something as good as possible at mixing while still being listenable for average music. The AKGs are also much cheaper than the senns. Decisions :?kraken2109

The 702s are very accurate, they are also on a much higher level than other akg products.

#78 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Heirren"] I think the Sennhiesers are just higher quality. They're the most comfortable larger phones I've ever used. While I like AKGs a lot(probably my second favorite brand--my fave phones might even be AKGs), I feel that there is some coloring to the sound with them in the same sense as listening to a pair of grados. My only gripe with the senns is the 1/8inch stock. 650s could be 1/4 inch, I don't know. Even the box on the Sennhiesers is quality--it comes in a case you can comfortably store them in, whereas the AKGs just come housed in a plastic case. The Sennhiesers also come with a two year warrantee. I think you'd be happy with either, but my recommendation is to go with the Sennhiesers.edinsftw

The 702s are very accurate, they are also on a much higher level than other akg products.

What about the AKG K1000?;)
#79 Posted by Allicrombie (26207 posts) -
I have cheapo $20 something or others that are okay. Been wanting a pair of Sennheiser 598's, though.
#80 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -
I have cheapo $20 something or others that are okay. Been wanting a pair of Sennheiser 598's, though.Allicrombie
They're nice, and comfy. Shame I don't like the colour :( Also I find it annoying that there's such a huge gap in sennheiser's pricing - in the UK the 598s are £160 and there's nothing between them and the HD650s (£280).
#81 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I have cheapo $20 something or others that are okay. Been wanting a pair of Sennheiser 598's, though.kraken2109
They're nice, and comfy. Shame I don't like the colour :( Also I find it annoying that there's such a huge gap in sennheiser's pricing - in the UK the 598s are £160 and there's nothing between them and the HD650s (£280).

The HD600..
#82 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I have cheapo $20 something or others that are okay. Been wanting a pair of Sennheiser 598's, though.Wolfetan

The HD600..

More expensive than the 650 in the UK.....

EDIT: Well they have been recently, just checked amazon to find the 650s (which have been £280 for weeks) are now £330 and the HD600s have gone down to £300.

Still a huge pricing gap though.

#83 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -
If your talking earbuds, I have a pair of Klipsch ones that once broken in produce rich distinct sounds and cost about $70. But my favorites are my Astros. I have the A40s and the A50s. The A50s are versatile and convenient, and while they sound wonderful for games considering their wireless nature, they do sound a bit worse in the bass department than my overall favorites, the A40s. I'm not a big audiophile, though... I really just care about quality virtual surround sound for gaming, and the ability to get high quality sound on a variety of platforms.
#84 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4412 posts) -
I have the 2013 A40 system and think they sound great. I guess I could have got into the whole audiophile thing and bought the mixamp with something else but I wasn't really interested in buying the Mixamp from their site due to recent tech support issues and I would have much rather bought from a store where I could get an easy return and replacement plan. You can't just buy the mixamp from a store. Out of the A50's and the A40's, the A40's are better headphones believe it or not. They have a better frequency response which is the same as the Sennheiser PC360's and are open back vs the closed back A50's. a lot of people have the misconception that they are a wireless version of the exact same headphones. Next time around, I'll probably go with something else since the A40 headphones by themselves cost 200.00 which I believe is a bit overpriced for what they are. I already have the mixamp now so my next upgrade can now focus strictly on headphones.
#85 Posted by Angry_Mushroom (708 posts) -
Love my Sennheiser HD598. Excellent gaming cans and even better for music. Keep my ultrasones around for the more bass-y music. The 598s according to some are hitting above their price range, and appear to be capable of taking on the HD600s. Can't say, but the 650 is on my short list of to buy headphones.
#86 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
Love my Sennheiser HD598. Excellent gaming cans and even better for music. Keep my ultrasones around for the more bass-y music. The 598s according to some are hitting above their price range, and appear to be capable of taking on the HD600s. Can't say, but the 650 is on my short list of to buy headphones. Angry_Mushroom
HD650 is very laid back. It will need a very nice amp. Think the Bottlehead Crack then get a Schiit Bifrost with it.
#87 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -
Love my Sennheiser HD598. Excellent gaming cans and even better for music. Keep my ultrasones around for the more bass-y music. The 598s according to some are hitting above their price range, and appear to be capable of taking on the HD600s. Can't say, but the 650 is on my short list of to buy headphones. Angry_Mushroom
I've only heard the 598 briefly, but considering it's generally half the price of the 650s it's certainly good value for the sound. I'd say you start heading towards diminishing returns after 598 money. The 650s are noticeably better, but i'm not sure they're 'twice' as good like the price suggests.
#89 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="Angry_Mushroom"]Love my Sennheiser HD598. Excellent gaming cans and even better for music. Keep my ultrasones around for the more bass-y music. The 598s according to some are hitting above their price range, and appear to be capable of taking on the HD600s. Can't say, but the 650 is on my short list of to buy headphones. kraken2109
I've only heard the 598 briefly, but considering it's generally half the price of the 650s it's certainly good value for the sound. I'd say you start heading towards diminishing returns after 598 money. The 650s are noticeably better, but i'm not sure they're 'twice' as good like the price suggests.

I don't really like the 650 anyways, especially for the price.  I much prefer the HiFiMAN HE-400.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
#90 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -
Got the Velodyne vPulse for like $99. Love them so much and they sound and look great too.
#91 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="Angry_Mushroom"]Love my Sennheiser HD598. Excellent gaming cans and even better for music. Keep my ultrasones around for the more bass-y music. The 598s according to some are hitting above their price range, and appear to be capable of taking on the HD600s. Can't say, but the 650 is on my short list of to buy headphones. kraken2109

Properly amped, the 600s blow away the 598s. They're in another league. I bought the 598s for my younger brother a few years ago for $80, and then a year later I bought myself the 600s--so I've heard both. 598s are still decent cans, though.
#92 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Just recieved my Heir Audio 4.Ai+. There amazing so far, I will have my DT880 on Wednesday to compare the two.

#93 Posted by mark552495786 (69 posts) -

My favorite headphones are The plush Sennheiser Momentum headphone fills a much-needed niche within the Sennheiser sealed-back arsenal and represents the German maker's finest contender in the burgeoning 'audiophile headset' category. Slim-profile circumaural earcup dimensions and sumptuous style meets full telecommunications for iPhone or iPad.

9990080024_8124.jpg

#95 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -
[QUOTE="mark552495786"]

My favorite headphones are The plush Sennheiser Momentum headphone fills a much-needed niche within the Sennheiser sealed-back arsenal and represents the German maker's finest contender in the burgeoning 'audiophile headset' category. Slim-profile circumaural earcup dimensions and sumptuous style meets full telecommunications for iPhone or iPad.

9990080024_8124.jpg

Wolfetan
Its not Sennheisers best audiophile headset, look at the HD598 and up.

He said closed back
#96 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="mark552495786"]

9990080024_8124.jpg

kraken2109
Its not Sennheisers best audiophile headset, look at the HD598 and up.

He said closed back

awww.
#97 Posted by Chris_53 (5436 posts) -
I quite like my Turtle Beach X12s
#98 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4412 posts) -
I quite like my Turtle Beach X12s Chris_53
After you eventually upgrade one day, you will not like them anymore. The difference between my old X11's and my Astro A40's are like night and day.
#99 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_53"]I quite like my Turtle Beach X12s Murderstyle75
After you eventually upgrade one day, you will not like them anymore. The difference between my old X11's and my Astro A40's are like night and day.

They are both horrible.  The difference between an Astro "gaming" headset and a $100 pair of headphones is night and day, the Astro is blown away.

#100 Posted by Chris_53 (5436 posts) -

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="Chris_53"]I quite like my Turtle Beach X12s Riadon2

They are both horrible.  The difference between an Astro "gaming" headset and a $100 pair of headphones is night and day, the Astro is blown away.

Considering I had my X12s for Christmas, I cant complain. To me they sound great, but then again Im not someone who can spend a load on headphones