What are the best, most content packed PC demos you've played?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

Trials and shareware doesn't count - it must be a demo, and it must be indefinitely replayable.

But my personal top three would be.

3. Flatout 2 - This fantastically fun, destructive racing game had a demo that consisted of two main races, a demolition derby match, and the darts minigame. It may not be the most expansive demo out there, but it's still pretty generous, and the replayability (for people such as myself) more than makes up for it.

2. Zeno Clash - This demo had the opening levels up to the first boss, as well as a challenge mode. Not to mention, the fighting mechanics in it were something you don't normally see in video games. Replayability is a plus.

1. The Witcher 1 - This demo had the first half of the prologue and the entirety of the first chapter, side missions and sandbox world included. I leveled up Geralt to be an absolute powerhouse in this demo, and I eventually picked up the full game. Unfortunately, I was a bit tuckered out from the Witcher at that point, and never progressed any further.

Honorable Mention: Portal - The first slice - What can I say, it's the first half of Portal. Even though the game is fairly short, there's a reason it became as popular as it was. Quirky puzzles, scheming fembot AI, you know the game. The only reason I didn't put it as a main entry is because the levels are too easy to quickly breeze through after you've beaten the demo once.

What are some of your favorites?

Edit: Huh, now that I think about it, I should have put Prey on here. Oh well, it's already done. ^^;

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I think Titan Quest had a fair amount of content if my memory serves me right. I remember playing the demo and loving the game so I bough it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Crysis demo. It has the full Level 1: Contact. Prior to playing the demo, I thought just like the haters did. Once I played the demo, it turned out I liked the game a lot.

Doom 2016 demo. At the time, the lackluster MP made me avoid the game. Once I played the demo, the SP seemed fine to me.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

resident evil 7

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Zuon said:

Trials and shareware doesn't count - it must be a demo, and it must be indefinitely replayable.

But my personal top three would be.

3. Flatout 2 - This fantastically fun, destructive racing game had a demo that consisted of two main races, a demolition derby match, and the darts minigame. It may not be the most expansive demo out there, but it's still pretty generous, and the replayability (for people such as myself) more than makes up for it.

2. Zeno Clash - This demo had the opening levels up to the first boss, as well as a challenge mode. Not to mention, the fighting mechanics in it were something you don't normally see in video games. Replayability is a plus.

1. The Witcher 1 - This demo had the first half of the prologue and the entirety of the first chapter, side missions and sandbox world included. I leveled up Geralt to be an absolute powerhouse in this demo, and I eventually picked up the full game. Unfortunately, I was a bit tuckered out from the Witcher at that point, and never progressed any further.

Honorable Mention: Portal - The first slice - What can I say, it's the first half of Portal. Even though the game is fairly short, there's a reason it became as popular as it was. Quirky puzzles, scheming fembot AI, you know the game. The only reason I didn't put it as a main entry is because the levels are too easy to quickly breeze through after you've beaten the demo once.

What are some of your favorites?

Edit: Huh, now that I think about it, I should have put Prey on here. Oh well, it's already done. ^^;

Forza 6 Apex.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 had marvelous demos back in the day. BF1942 had 2 levels with 64-player multiplayer and I think BF2 offered a 32-player MP map. And it was some of the best maps if I remember correctly (e.g. Wake Island).

Half-Life: Uplink was a very interesting demo for Half-Life. It was basically just a demo for Half-Life, but featured a mission not seen in the game. Even though it's not "in" the game, it seemlessly blends in and serves as a very cool prologue. It was like an hour or two long I think...might be a lot faster for an experience HL player though.

Halo PC had a SP mission from the campaign and a couple multiplayer levels (Blood Gulch and something else), offering a lot of replayability. Played this in high school a lot over LAN. Was popular enough that you could often boot it up at one part of the school to play with random people who are fudging around somewhere else in school.

Quake 3 had some MP levels with a few modes and was also really popular over LAN.

UT2004 demo had one or two fun singleplayer missions and a fun multiplayer level. Was popular for a long time over the internet.

Far Cry SP demo had a decent length level from the campaign which had a lot of replayability (big open level).

Might be another memorable one I'm missing but that covers the popular ones I remember

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Nobody plays demos anymore.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Correction. There are no demos anymore. If there were people would use them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#9 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

SHAREWARE! ^_^

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#10 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

No Man's Sky, so much mining in that demo!! I hope more content is in the full game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@hillelslovak said:

No Man's Sky, so much mining in that demo!! I hope more content is in the full game.

I see what you did there

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58390 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Starshine_M2A2 said:

Correction. There are no demos anymore. If there were people would use them.

Every time I see a game has a down these days, I'm like "Holy shit, a demo!"

I feel like that double rainbow guy..."what does this mean!?!??!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#13 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@hillelslovak said:

I see what you did there

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

UT 2004. Torlan onslaught map. Best mode and best map. I've played that demo for ages. Eventually I did buy the game but still kept coming back to the same map/mode haha

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 had marvelous demos back in the day. BF1942 had 2 levels with 64-player multiplayer and I think BF2 offered a 32-player MP map. And it was some of the best maps if I remember correctly (e.g. Wake Island).

Yeah Battlefield 1942 demo had Wake Island (though I can't remember any other maps, perhaps there was another one)

I remember playing that demo for days. Everyone just kept playing that demo until the game itself released.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

The Dark Messiah - epic demo including mp demo

Halo demo + mp demo

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Both have to be star trek games. Star Trek Bridge commander and Elite Force.