What 2008 PC games could the base PS4 not handle?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeonicTrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NeonicTrash
Member since 2010 • 549 Posts

This quote is from the comment section of a Forbes' Switch article. Just want to know what this guy's talking about, if anyone can name specific PC titles from 2008 that ran at a level the PS4 couldn't even "handle", so he said, 5 years later.

"That’s too simplistic, it doesn’t explain the fact that a very high-end PC from the PS3 era would still out perform a PS4 at launch; so how comes these PC games from 2008 which would be running at a level the PS4 couldn’t even handle mean that the games get more expensive to develop purely at the advent of the new games console? Yes, the new technology allows artists to be more detailed, or add more effects, but it’s not a requirement, and as I’ve said, it would actually be cheaper to port games from the PS4 if the Switch was equal or more powerful than the PS4, provided the architecture is similar."

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

ARMA 2 that's totally maxed out, maybe. But, it's from 2009. My FX-8350 chokes on it. How much more those puny Jaguars?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: yeah my fx 8350 hated arma 2, even overclocked at 4.5ghz it was bottlenecking

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Is this SW?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
@thehig1 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: yeah my fx 8350 hated arma 2, even overclocked at 4.5ghz it was bottlenecking

So far, it's just ARMA2 (and probably ARMA 3) where the deficiencies of the FX-8350 really show. GTA V is also another game where the FX-8350 bottlenecks my GTX 1060, but it's not as bad as in ARMA 2.

It's not that big a deal for ARMA 2 because the game doesn't look that much better maxed out compared to the reduced detail the FX-8350 has an easier time with.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

The original Crysis (and Crysis: Warhead). NOT the gimped, scaled down console re-release for PS3 and X360. I'm talking the real thing. Full foliage, full physics, full destruction, full AI, etc.

The Jaguar cores in the PS4 would absolutely CHOKE on Crysis with its heavy dependency on low core count, but high frequency processors. Even if it was re-optimized, I'm still not convinced it'd be up for the task.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Using my FX-8350 with GTX 1060.....

This is the ARMA 2 editor (almost) maxed out with just one Marine and one M2 Bradley (and crew). Ouch. Imagine if there's a full scale battle going on. ;)

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

A 2008 mmo like Age of Conan without some serious cpu optimizations would likely struggle on the ps4. The game was made back when 2 core was mainstream and it was a very demanding game both cpu and on the gpu side. Im sure it could handle the gpu side of things but with the terrible cpu the ps4 has it'd probably run the game at a bad unstable framerate if it could only use 2 cores with such low clock speeds.

In comparison i had a 2core e8400 wolfdale cpu back then overclocked to 4ghz. Even that old cpu at that clock speed would destroy a ps4 if tested against only 2 cores. Im very sure the ps4 could handle the gpu side of things since i had a amd 3870x2 gpu and even that ran the game at over 40-50fps.

Again, if Age of Conan was remade completely to use all 8 cpu threads on the ps4 it would run perfectly fine, but as base game in 2008 was made for 2 core cpus it just would struggle bad on a ps4 which relies on using more cores at lower clock speeds. But the game was probably the most demanding mmos up to that point so i thought it'd list it here.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@The_Stand_In said:

The original Crysis (and Crysis: Warhead). NOT the gimped, scaled down console re-release for PS3 and X360. I'm talking the real thing. Full foliage, full physics, full destruction, full AI, etc.

The Jaguar cores in the PS4 would absolutely CHOKE on Crysis with its heavy dependency on low core count, but high frequency processors. Even if it was re-optimized, I'm still not convinced it'd be up for the task.

Down clock Intel Core i7 Haswell/Broadwell around 800 to 900 Mhz clock speed and disable SMT.

Loading Video...

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.05 Ghz quad core Jaguar/Puma)

GPU: integrated HD 8400.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@The_Stand_In said:

Down clock Intel Core i7 Haswell/Broadwell around 800 to 900 Mhz clock speed and disable SMT.

Thanks for proving my point? That's unplayable and looks like ass. I was talking about 1080p with a 30fps minimum and at least medium/high mixed graphics preset. That's what I'd call acceptably "handling" in 2017.

You need to communicate more, not just post specs and a video without explanation. I can't even tell if you are disagreeing with me or not. Seriously. Not trying to be mean or anything, it's just your posts are often times so vague.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

How the hell is this thread still allowed, its not SW.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13  Edited By scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Most games back then weren't very well mulithreaded, so the PS4's low clocked octocore might have some trouble. The ~HD 7850 in the PS4 would eat an HD 4870 or 9800 GTX alive though.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ronvalencia

@The_Stand_In said:
@ronvalencia said:
@The_Stand_In said:

Thanks for proving my point? That's unplayable and looks like ass. I was talking about 1080p with a 30fps minimum and at least medium/high mixed graphics preset. That's what I'd call acceptably "handling" in 2017.

You need to communicate more, not just post specs and a video without explanation. I can't even tell if you are disagreeing with me or not. Seriously. Not trying to be mean or anything, it's just your posts are often times so vague.

Change integrated HD 8400 (2 CU, 153.6 GFLOPS) into RX-470 (28 CU, 4.9 TFLOPS) .

AMD Athlon 5350 (2.05 Ghz quad core Jaguar/Puma) + RX-470 can handle Crysis at 1080p with a 30fps minimum and at least medium/high mixed graphics preset.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#15 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@The_Stand_In said:
@ronvalencia said:
@The_Stand_In said:

Change integrated HD 8400 (2 CU, 153.6 GFLOPS) into RX-470 (28 CU, 4.9 TFLOPS) .

AMD Athlon 5350 (2.05 Ghz quad core Jaguar/Puma) + RX-470 can handle Crysis at 1080p with a 30fps minimum and at least medium/high mixed graphics preset.

To be honest that video looked nowhere close to medium or high settings.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ronvalencia

@hillelslovak said:
@ronvalencia said:
@The_Stand_In said:
@ronvalencia said:

To be honest that video looked nowhere close to medium or high settings.

HD 8400 IGP has 2 CU and 153.6 GFLOPS. Add RX-470.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

The problem is will the PS4 run the taxing games of 2008 acceptably? Like 1080p 60fps (at a minimum). My guess is no considering it doesn't do that now.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@The_Stand_In said:

Exactly this. People really don't understand these days how advanced Crysis was. Sure, these days the (vanilla) textures are super dated, but texture detail isn't the only thing there is to "graphics". There are things Crysis did that still haven't been bested except by a tiny handful of games. A handful that doesn't even include Crysis' own sequels.