Weird smell coming from computer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sliverwarrior
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

These past 2 weeks, I've been noticing a weird smell coming from my 3 year old computer.

I cannot manage to figure out where its coming from, I guess it smells like electronics?

I even opened the case while the computer was running, but even with proper lightning I can't see anything wrong, there is no smoke or anything.

Now how do I solve this?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
maybe dust? I donno try blowing out all the dust from inside and the fins of the heatsinks. A weird smell can never be good though.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Take the rat out of it.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
Hot electronic smell isnt a good sign, usaully its caused by the psu, ethier its going(dying) or some insulation is getting too warm. Ethier way replace the psu.
Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sliverwarrior
Hot electronic smell isnt a good sign, usaully its caused by the psu, ethier its going(dying) or some insulation is getting too warm. Ethier way replace the psu.04dcarraher
I thought it might be the PSU, but its seriously the coldest piece in my case. Its barely hot at all :/
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Why would you want to get rid of that awesome smell? It's the precursor to your own smoke machine! Okay replacing the PSU is the safe (but unfun) option
Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sliverwarrior
Why would you want to get rid of that awesome smell? It's the precursor to your own smoke machine! Okay replacing the PSU is the safe (but unfun) optionistuffedsunny
Is there a way to make sure its actually the PSU? I don't want to buy a new one only to realize I just replaced the wrong part.
dejo256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dejo256
Member since 2005 • 2580 Posts
[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]Why would you want to get rid of that awesome smell? It's the precursor to your own smoke machine! Okay replacing the PSU is the safe (but unfun) optionSliverwarrior
Is there a way to make sure its actually the PSU? I don't want to buy a new one only to realize I just replaced the wrong part.

sniff it, if its same odor then thats probably what is causing it.
Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sliverwarrior
[QUOTE="Sliverwarrior"][QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]Why would you want to get rid of that awesome smell? It's the precursor to your own smoke machine! Okay replacing the PSU is the safe (but unfun) optiondejo256

sniff it, if its same odor then thats probably what is causing it.

I can't sniff it, I enter the room and I cant smell it anymore after like 20 seconds. I just catch a wiff of it every now and then. Maybe If I used some tissue to "catch the smell" ?
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Stuff some tissues in your case? Right on! Youtube it :)
EddieTheHead84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EddieTheHead84
Member since 2011 • 2131 Posts

Burning semen maybe?:P

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]Why would you want to get rid of that awesome smell? It's the precursor to your own smoke machine! Okay replacing the PSU is the safe (but unfun) optionSliverwarrior

Remove PSU and run it in another room outside of the PC. NB: You will have to jump start it by shorting the pins on the main ATX connector
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I would understand if you just put this rig together and it has that "new" smell we're talking about here.. but it shouldn't be happening on a regular basis or even occasionally. If it's happening pretty often (this smell you're getting), then I wouldn't wait one second to RMA (if you just purchased it), or take it out immediately and order a new PSU. You do not want that thing frying your other components. If the PSU burns up, it'll take the GPU with it first, if anything. Listen well young elf.

RaZoR500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RaZoR500
Member since 2005 • 381 Posts

I would understand if you just put this rig together and it has that "new" smell we're talking about here.. but it shouldn't be happening on a regular basis or even occasionally. If it's happening pretty often (this smell you're getting), then I wouldn't wait one second to RMA (if you just purchased it), or take it out immediately and order a new PSU. You do not want that thing frying your other components. If the PSU burns up, it'll take the GPU with it first, if anything. Listen well young elf.

Elann2008

This

My PSU murdered my old 9800GTX+ so better be on the safe side