Weird PC issue on boot-up

This topic is locked from further discussion.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

So, about a week ago. I woke up my PC from it's usual sleep mode, only to find that the keyboard and mouse were disconnected and turned off. The only way I managed to fix this was by physically disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard and mouse from the USB ports.

It's happened a few times since then, and just today the same thing happened, but now even disconnecting and reconnecting didn't work. I had to push the reset button on my PC, which forced a full shutdown and reboot. Then they worked

What could cause this? A virus? Faulty hardware (doubt it)? My PC finally beginning to give in after 5+ years of being on minimum 6 hours a day with lots of sleep mode ? (Just wondering, since my PC has been acting weirdly and more slowly recently)

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I would start by scanning that PC with Malwarebytes and then run your virus scanner too. After you clean that up check and see if the issues still remain. This should be a good start towards getting some of the issues resolved.

I have not heard of viruses or malware that affect USB ports but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some douchebag could program them to do something dickish like this. Hopefully the scans will fix 'er up!

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 genius2365

@jer_1 said:

I would start by scanning that PC with Malwarebytes and then run your virus scanner too. After you clean that up check and see if the issues still remain. This should be a good start towards getting some of the issues resolved.

I have not heard of viruses or malware that affect USB ports but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some douchebag could program them to do something dickish like this. Hopefully the scans will fix 'er up!

I ran a quick scan last week, and a full scan about 2 months ago from Kaspersky Antivirus. Well, another full scan can't hurt, can it :)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@jer_1 said:

Haven't heard the recent news?

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/07/31/malware/

Every USB port has a major security loophole.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 genius2365

@GTR12 said:

@jer_1 said:

Haven't heard the recent news?

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/07/31/malware/

Every USB port has a major security loophole.

And this is why I follow these forums. I had never heard about this. Granted, I haven't used my USB stick in over 3 months, but we all know 1 little thing could have made it gone active. And this can go through any USB port? There sure are some determined hackers out there

Well, I know what I'm doing first thing tomorrow morning.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@genius2365:

USB stick? I said USB port for a reason...

It can be ANY USB device, stick/keyboard/mouse/speaker/headphones/smartphone, umm everything else as well.

So your going back to using a PS/2 M/K and ripping out your USB ports? :p

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 genius2365

@GTR12 said:

@genius2365:

USB stick? I said USB port for a reason...

It can be ANY USB device, stick/keyboard/mouse/speaker/headphones/smartphone, umm everything else as well.

So your going back to using a PS/2 M/K and ripping out your USB ports? :p

Ah ok. I just didn't imagine it could go through any USB device.

Yeah, before I would go in the back of my computer and take out the USB connections for my keyboard and mouse, and plug it back in. That would usually work. However, now even that doesn't work. I'm forced to do a reset (full shutdown) in order for them to work.

I'm going to start scanning my computer ASAP

woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#8 woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

Not all USB sticks are dangerous , the problem if there is a malware installed on the firmware which you CANNOT see or handle in your pc.

On the topic , go to BIOS setup , power setting> there some options about allow USB to wake up the computer enable it , and see if your motherboard support further options , try that and tell us .

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 genius2365

@woomar said:

On the topic , go to BIOS setup , power setting> there some options about allow USB to wake up the computer enable it , and see if your motherboard support further options , try that and tell us .

I'll give that a try. Malwarebytes just removed about 15 infected items, some related to registry values (ouch!). I haven't touched my Bios in ages, but maybe something changed.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 genius2365

Alright. So I went through my Bios, doesn't seem like anything power related is affecting my keyboard and mouse (though my CPU overclock was overidden back to stock speeds :(, because of crashes ). I'm still having this issue, and it seems to be random. It'll work fine once or twice, but then either the mouse or keyboard (or both) get's deactivated when I go to log into my PC. Really weird issue.