We hear about how great Gaming Years of 1998, 2004 and 2007 was. But how about 2002? (also hardware wise)

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Ever since last year when Call of Duty World War II and Battlefront II came out people started to compare how Medal of Honor was better than Call of Duty WWII and how the Best Star Wars Game, Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast far eclipses the current Battlefront II game. Having already a copy of Medal of Honor 10 Year Anniversary Pack and always wanting to play it I decided to give it a go and it didn't disappointment. Then after recommendations of Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast I decided to get that game having played for a limited time back in 2002. I decided to give it a shot and was amazed how much better it is than the current Battlefront games. Just recently I decided to give No One Lives Forever 2 a shot having brought the original copy almost a decade ago which has been sitting on my shelf all with it's original box (gorgeous box art by the way). I am playing through it right now (all in 1080P with a custom mod-patch). I am so far liking it very much having played through the first couple of levels.

It turns out having played through all these games (mind you all at 1080P) with some config file changes, I now see a whole lot of games that came out that year that were legendary. Take for example, James Bond Nightfire. Some people say it was the best James Bond game since Goldeneye and got stellar reviews. I played couple of levels of the PC version which was made by Gearbox, totally different than the console version so it's not an equal comparison. But still it was a top notch game minus the PC version.

2002 also had Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 which was an awesome game which I played on the PC. Not to mention Dungeon Siege and of course who could forget Mafia which was one of the best games of 2002 (with an awesome soundtrack). Then there was Warcraft III, still the last strategy based Warcraft, Unreal Tournament 2003, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Metroid Prime on the console. The list goes on and on. Seems like 2002 is severely underrated.

And on the PC front we had the release of the 9700 Pro which was one of the greatest if not the greatest GPU ever released. It was the first Direct X 9.0 GPU ever released an API that existed for almost 10 years until Xbox One and PS4 was released which brought DX 11 Gaming to the console masses. Console Gamers have been using a 10 year old API in their games until then!

So, what do you guys think? 2002 almost up there with the those other gaming years mentioned?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

2002 had Medal of Honor Allied Assault in my opinion the best WW2 game of all time not only singleplayer but MP is amazing people still play it to this day it actually takes skill no regenerating health or other forms of hand holding needed. Also that year GTAVC where the 80's trend really started.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#3 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts
@warmblur said:

2002 had Medal of Honor Allied Assault in my opinion the best WW2 game of all time not only singleplayer but MP is amazing people still play it to this day it actually takes skill no regenerating health or other forms of hand holding needed. Also that year GTAVC where the 80's trend really started.

100% agree. But to be frank I don't remember that many heavy hitting games other than VC that was set in the 80's era off of the top of my head.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:
@warmblur said:

100% agree. But to be frank I don't remember that many heavy hitting games other than VC that was set in the 80's era off of the top of my head.

I remember after Vice came out I started seeing more references to the 80's not in games though more in tv and movies could be a coincidence I dunno.

Azghouls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 314

#5 Azghouls
Member since 2006 • 815 Posts

That was a great year however I would include 1985 and 1994 as well.