Ways developers can attract more PC gamers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

For multiplat developers and even PC developers there are somethings that would help them get more money out of the PC community.

I see to many developers like Ubisoft, Activision, and Capcom make excuses like the piracy card to get away with their lazy/selfishness.

Ubisofts DRM is too ridiculous it makes most of us simply not care about their games anymore if it means we'll be treated as second class citizens, a long with the fact that pirates will easily find away around it.

Activision was pure lazy with CoD since MW2, they figured they could milk more sales out of the console community and decided to give PC users the copy and pasted port and nearly everything in CoD 4 or standard for PC games was taken out. It also showed how they are extremely biased towards the Xbox 360, Black ops on PC and PS3 suffered a lot of issues.

Capcom is like the activision/ubisoft of Asia. They force GFWL on us as a DRM which most PC gamers wouldn't go near unless it's the only way they can play a game they want. They also rip off all gamers in general with there BS DLC or Super/Ultimate versions of games coming out months later. They're stupid to think PC gamers will actually pay for things like skins or character packs.

As for multiplat developers try to tailor the PC versions of your games if we see something like a shoddy console port you will get poor sales since it's another thing that repellsPC usersEx:GTA IV, Cod MW2. Make sure the game is optimized for our tech like being able to use at least quad cores, support sli/crossfire systems, throw in some PC graphic abilities, have dedicated server support, server browsing, etc. Release demos and other things so we don't have to "pirate".

As for PC developers pay attention to things the gamers complain about like clunky controls, bugs, optimization problems and etc. My saying if modding is heavily needed to make your games playable *Coughelder scrolls*then you need to step it up. Also if you choose to go multiplat don't screw over the PC community (Epic Games) because you'll leave a bad taste in their mouth and even make your PC sales even smaller.

As for developers try making something that will get PC gamers attentions like a modern Arena Shooter, a game with a unique story, and etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
PC games, at least in the near future, just won't have the advertising budget behind them. When have you ever seen a game ad on tv ending with a giant PC instead of PlayStation or Xbox?
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
I dont want more PC gamers. The community on TF2 and CSS are somewhat bad enough...
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NoodleFighter

PC games, at least in the near future, just won't have the advertising budget behind them. When have you ever seen a game ad on tv ending with a giant PC instead of PlayStation or Xbox? guynamedbilly

Maybe it's cause PC games don't need advertising in order to sell :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]PC games, at least in the near future, just won't have the advertising budget behind them. When have you ever seen a game ad on tv ending with a giant PC instead of PlayStation or Xbox? NoodleFighter

Maybe it's cause PC games don't need advertising in order to sell :roll:

Yea, real life has certainly demonstrated that.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Make games that PC gamers want. That is the simple answer. Sure, there are companies that develop PC games, but many companies are going the multiplatform route and while there is nothing inherently wrong with it, games tend to be made with the console in mind first and then ported back over to the PC and it ends up being unoptimized with clunky controls and few PCcentric options like dedicated servers and the like.

PC gamers want games that utilize the power of their computers no matter how weak or strong it is. They want to be able to make mods for the games and they want to be able to have dedicated servers that do not require a server to have to have a video card in order to run it.

I think the best game to ever point out that PC and consoles can both share a great game is Ghost Recon. While originally it was supposed to be a launch game for the original XBox, the launch of the console was delayed so GR on the XBox was delayed a year so the PC version was released first instead. GR for the PC had LAN, direct IP and dedicated server support for MP gaming. It had customizable controls where you could remap the keys to your liking if you wanted and it let you play the game how you wanted with plenty of options. The console version played the same way with changes for controls via a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. The number of characters remained the same even though the number of teams changed from three to two (with the PC you could put all 6 characters on one team if ya wanted). The PC version had mod support and still has mods being made to this day.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
If more were attracted to PC gaming you'ld probably just end up with more CoD clones on PC rather than getting a high budget Red Orchestra or STALKER.
Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

They need to make games that are not f-ing crap. Games by gamers for gamers, not @!#¤ like the Modern Warfare series and stuff.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

They need to let me map my keyboard's backspace button to controls.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

For multiplat developers and even PC developers there are somethings that would help them get more money out of the PC community.

I see to many developers like Ubisoft, Activision, and Capcom make excuses like the piracy card to get away with their lazy/selfishness.

Ubisofts DRM is too ridiculous it makes most of us simply not care about their games anymore if it means we'll be treated as second class citizens, a long with the fact that pirates will easily find away around it.

Activision was pure lazy with CoD since MW2, they figured they could milk more sales out of the console community and decided to give PC users the copy and pasted port and nearly everything in CoD 4 or standard for PC games was taken out. It also showed how they are extremely biased towards the Xbox 360, Black ops on PC and PS3 suffered a lot of issues.

Capcom is like the activision/ubisoft of Asia. They force GFWL on us as a DRM which most PC gamers wouldn't go near unless it's the only way they can play a game they want. They also rip off all gamers in general with there BS DLC or Super/Ultimate versions of games coming out months later. They're stupid to think PC gamers will actually pay for things like skins or character packs.

As for multiplat developers try to tailor the PC versions of your games if we see something like a shoddy console port you will get poor sales since it's another thing that repellsPC usersEx:GTA IV, Cod MW2. Make sure the game is optimized for our tech like being able to use at least quad cores, support sli/crossfire systems, throw in some PC graphic abilities, have dedicated server support, server browsing, etc. Release demos and other things so we don't have to "pirate".

As for PC developers pay attention to things the gamers complain about like clunky controls, bugs, optimization problems and etc. My saying if modding is heavily needed to make your games playable *Coughelder scrolls*then you need to step it up. Also if you choose to go multiplat don't screw over the PC community (Epic Games) because you'll leave a bad taste in their mouth and even make your PC sales even smaller.

As for developers try making something that will get PC gamers attentions like a modern Arena Shooter, a game with a unique story, and etc.

NoodleFighter

capcom is alot nicer than u think a few short years ago they didnt even care we existed now we have at least 4 games this year coming form them with promises to make pc their platform of focus. capcom is reading the writing on the wall they jsut aint perfect in their execution of moving away from the failing buisness model that is console gaming but then again no company is perfect right??

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Allow for auto aim in FPS's and controller support as well. Believe it or not, there are those that simply prefer the feeling of a controller while playing shooters. I try to use M/KB for FPS's and I feel like Im being punished because it is simply over complicated Imo. How do you guys feel it is easier to have to press WASD, LShift, LCTRL, Space, 1,2,3,4,5, F1, F2, F3, F4, mouse wheel, etc... When it all can be EASILY mapped to analog sticks, triggers, bumpers, face button and the D-pad!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Well to start, they should fix the DRM crap.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
No DRM at all, people will pirate anything.There should be a reason to want to buy it and support it.
PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PRowcester
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts
1. No DRM beyond either CD checks or Steam 2. Give me the option to save anywhere. Don't be so eager to tell me how to play. I know how to play the damn game! 3. Let me change things in the game, give me options to enable/disable stuff - like glowing weapons, crosshair and so on. 4. For the love god - let me skip cutscenes 5. Have a QA team that will test the game on PC, and hire some PC gamer to do this testing. Really. I know this sounds obvious, but there times when I am left thinking - How the hell did this even clear basic QA! 6. Graphics options, at one point of time, this went without saying, but seeing what Crysis 2 did at launch, we need this "feature" badly. I'll add more when I think of them.
Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

Allow for auto aim in FPS's and controller support as well. Believe it or not, there are those that simply prefer the feeling of a controller while playing shooters. I try to use M/KB for FPS's and I feel like Im being punished because it is simply over complicated Imo. How do you guys feel it is easier to have to press WASD, LShift, LCTRL, Space, 1,2,3,4,5, F1, F2, F3, F4, mouse wheel, etc... When it all can be EASILY mapped to analog sticks, triggers, bumpers, face button and the D-pad!

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Please be trolling. If not, leave gaming forever.

PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PRowcester
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

ShoTTyMcNaDeS
You are joking right?
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

I am at a loss for words.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

What's so hard about pressing 4 buttons to move, 2 buttons to switch weapons, 1 button to perform actions and swirling around a mouse to aim?

Aiming with a controller is a pain in the ass.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NoodleFighter

LOL 5 replies on that same dude :lol:

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

NoodleFighter

Because he had spoken BLASPHAMY.

Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

ArchonOver

Because he had spoken BLASPHAMY.

Blasphemy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 29121994
Member since 2008 • 1166 Posts
I think the PC doesn't have most of its gamers attracted to high budget games, I seem to notice that a lot more PC gamers are ending up playing indie games like minecraft and whole communities are created around that. I think if there were more dedicated PC developers making only PC exclusives, PC gaming would be a lot more succesful. Also as other people mentioned, an appropriate DRM is needed, decent modding abilities for games with 3d engines and there NEEDS to be dedication from the developers for them to fix problems with their games.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

ShoTTyMcNaDeS
I think you should leave now.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NoodleFighter

I think the PC doesn't have most of its gamers attracted to high budget games, I seem to notice that a lot more PC gamers are ending up playing indie games like minecraft and whole communities are created around that. I think if there were more dedicated PC developers making only PC exclusives, PC gaming would be a lot more succesful. Also as other people mentioned, an appropriate DRM is needed, decent modding abilities for games with 3d engines and there NEEDS to be dedication from the developers for them to fix problems with their games.29121994

What do you mean by higher budget games? By console standards at least 50% of the budget is used for advertising. Some fair budget games like The Witcher 2 or Metro 2033 would be nice. Indie games are cool but Terraria ain't going to make any noticable use of my Hardware.

I think todays PC developers should try and make old school games that were popular and still are into modern old school games. Hard Reset, Serious Sam 3, and Tribes Ascend are getting quite some recognition even though they're in a generation of gamers/games where everything is pretty much modern warfare, trying to act really bad like movies through cutscenes and etc.

they should also and try and make more interesting games although it seems that's the indie devs job.

looking at the footage of Tribes Ascend, Serious Sam 3, and Hard Reset reminded a lot of old gamers why people loved Shooters compared to todays.

Mizeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mizeak
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts
[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]

kris9031998
I think you should leave now.

I totally agree with kris. I think more pc-exclusives would do it.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

There's really no good reason why every game made for current-gen consoles can't be made for PC as well. I think that all games should come out for PC. It can't be that hard to make these games run on PC.. since they're often created on PCs. Games like Madden, Forza, Gran Turismo, Halo (the whole series), etc.. should all have PC versions. I understand that companies might initially lose money doing this if they produced tons of copies that didn't sell, so they could just make as many hard copies of the games as are ordered and paid for in advance. Basically making them to order so there aren't a bunch of excess copies laying around.

The other thing that's been hurting PC gaming for a long time is DRM. It's gotten to the point where I won't even bother to buy games from certain devs/publishers because it's so bad. It's ridiculous that a console gamer can buy a game and resell it, but a PC gamer really can't in most cases. Piracy is no excuse, since you can copy X360 and PS3 games almost as easily as PC games. If a console gamer can resell his games, I should be able to as well. I actually think that the government should get involved and force developers/publishers to level the playing field in this way.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

What?! No.. just no. I think you might have to go.

TheFLCLPope88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheFLCLPope88
Member since 2003 • 2172 Posts

[QUOTE="29121994"]I think the PC doesn't have most of its gamers attracted to high budget games, I seem to notice that a lot more PC gamers are ending up playing indie games like minecraft and whole communities are created around that. I think if there were more dedicated PC developers making only PC exclusives, PC gaming would be a lot more succesful. Also as other people mentioned, an appropriate DRM is needed, decent modding abilities for games with 3d engines and there NEEDS to be dedication from the developers for them to fix problems with their games.NoodleFighter

What do you mean by higher budget games? By console standards at least 50% of the budget is used for advertising. Some fair budget games like The Witcher 2 or Metro 2033 would be nice. Indie games are cool but Terraria ain't going to make any noticable use of my Hardware.

The thing with indie games is that they don't require a whole lot to run, with system requirements more or less being a computer, a keyboard, & a mouse. The problem isn't the developers, it's just the price (& hassle for some people) of upgrading the hardware that tends to scare people off.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhiteKnight77

I think the PC doesn't have most of its gamers attracted to high budget games, I seem to notice that a lot more PC gamers are ending up playing indie games like minecraft and whole communities are created around that. I think if there were more dedicated PC developers making only PC exclusives, PC gaming would be a lot more succesful. Also as other people mentioned, an appropriate DRM is needed, decent modding abilities for games with 3d engines and there NEEDS to be dedication from the developers for them to fix problems with their games.29121994

A game does not need to be high budget to attract PC gamers. Blackfoot Studio's Ground Branch is not a high budget game, but uses Speedtree, a licensed version of Unreal's UDK and the CEO bought a motion capture unit to use in creation of his game. He works as a contract developer for other studios to help pay for development of Ground Branch. How much of a system will a gamer need? Hard to say right now, but he claims current PCs can run it. This fly through video highlights some of it's features though as being an early alpha video, things can change.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WhiteKnight77

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

You really opened up a can of worms with this post. This is exactly why MS killed cross platform gaming, the best XBox Live players were getting slaughtered by even the most mediocre PC gamers. The simple fact is, PC gamers do not want their games consolized and adding auto-aim does exactly that. Sure, there are some PC gamers that do not want a challenge, but there are those who do. Sure, some people like a controller, but more like the ability to assign more buttons to do more things. A game like Flight Simulator does not have enough buttons on a controller to run even half properly.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Bring over more Japanese games to the pc. If the small niche jrpg reccetear can sell 150,000 copies then imagine what much more hyped game like Dark Souls would sell clearly theres an untapped market there devlopers are ignoring. Gamepad support in all games as long as it doesn't come at the compromise of m/kb controls and can actually work on a gamepad like arma 2 or WoW would not work on a gamepad not enough controls.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NoodleFighter

Bring over more Japanese games to the pc. If the small niche jrpg reccetear can sell 150,000 copies then imagine what much more hyped game like Dark Souls would sell clearly theres an untapped market there devlopers are ignoring. Gamepad support in all games as long as it doesn't come at the compromise of m/kb controls and can actually work on a gamepad like arma 2 or WoW would not work on a gamepad not enough controls.

DJ_Headshot

handhelds are likethe king of japanesegames and the consoles are the peasents. I remember PC isn't very popular in japan and that most sales are relevant to the japanese users. Also there are japanese games but most don't go global. Why can't the japanese love PC like the South Koreans and Chinese do :( .

I also would like to see more japanese games imagine a DBZ game with PC graphics :D

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

NoodleFighter

handhelds are likethe king of japanesegames and the consoles are the peasents. I remember PC isn't very popular in japan and that most sales are relevant to the japanese users. Also there are japanese games but most don't go global. Why can't the japanese love PC like the South Koreans and Chinese do :( .

I also would like to see more japanese games imagine a DBZ game with PC graphics and otherabilities could end uphaving fights just like the show with all the advance physics, lighting, and etc:D

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
I dont want more PC gamers. The community on TF2 and CSS are somewhat bad enough...kris9031998
At least you're smart enough that you realized PC is the only platform that has trolls, mic spammers, and hackers. Never experienced any of those on a console. Ever. True story.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Not shove PC gamers into the thief category like Ubisoft. Not disregard PC gamers and the platform with shoddy multiplaform games. Maintain good communication with PC gamers so confusion is minimised.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
50 million play Farmville, 12.something play World of Warcraft etc. It's the most diverse platform by far. The PC attracts high budget games - why is it the most supported and developed for platform, even by triple A developers; to the massive scope of independent titles - this is the platform where profit is far easier to be made then on consoles, due to flexible business models. Ain't 2006 I'm afraid.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
I dont want more PC gamers. The community on TF2 and CSS are somewhat bad enough...kris9031998
What..TF2 community, bad? In the same sentence :? Multilayer games need to be less restrictive, more open to modding and public server hosting to extend the life of games.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="kris9031998"]I dont want more PC gamers. The community on TF2 and CSS are somewhat bad enough...JKnaperek
At least you're smart enough that you realized PC is the only platform that has trolls, mic spammers, and hackers. Never experienced any of those on a console. Ever. True story.

I have on MW2 on PS3 and the crappy mic quality makes it even more annoying.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

For me it is very simple:

1. Charge $10 less than the consoole version max

2. Give me a demo

3. give me quick save or manual save

4. Don't use GFWL or you just lost my sale

These things are easy to follow and are things I expect.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

There's only one thing that really matters, "make better games/games worth playing".

If the game is good in the end nobody (or at least almost all) looks at DRM, God knows what gimmicky features they expect in their dreams, nobody will care that it was a multiplatform title or about the price (price is the 2nd most important but people buy expensive games if they're good).

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
PC games, at least in the near future, just won't have the advertising budget behind them. When have you ever seen a game ad on tv ending with a giant PC instead of PlayStation or Xbox? guynamedbilly
No but ive seen toooooooo many advertisements in magazines , stations , TV , radio and more of ... NVIDIA , INTEL , AMD , ASUS , WINDOWS 7 and many more.
judahstarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 judahstarguy
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Actually utilize the technology instead of dumbing down games would be a start.