Wattage in mobo's fan connections? Updated**

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts
Anyone have any idea how much wattage you can get through the fan connections on a motherboard? Edit: If it matters, my mobo is an Asus P8Z77 V- Pro So I got an answer. [quote="Asus customer service"]Hi CPU fan header 2A the rest combined max 2 A

The manual says 1A about the CPU fan header, however it does also have CPU opt fan header so I guess that one has 1A aswell.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I honestly have no idea. I just tried the google machine and the closest I could find was someone was asking about the 3 pin connector. The answer was that it was under 1.5 amps, but then for the CPU fan abother source was saying 8.4 amps. So, I don't know. I couldn't find anything on the specific motherboard you have. What are you needing the info for anyway?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator
If I can hook up 4 fans to one connector through a splitter, or if I have to connect them directly to the PSU. I don't think I need more than 0.5 amps to pull all four fans. 18W is at least something.
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

Usually, the max amps is 1 for all fan headers combined.  Maybe better get a fan controller and connect the lot directly the the PSU.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator

Usually, the max amps is 1 for all fan headers combined.  Maybe better get a fan controller and connect the lot directly the the PSU.

JimmyJumpy
I can always do that, assuming that a molex plug with a fan connection as well deliver enough power to power up 4 fans. 4 fans that doesn't require a whole lot current though. Edit: I really don't want to buy a fan controller, don't got the money for it atm. Edit again: The only thing I have found so far in the manual is that the CPU fan header can provide 1A (12W) of current.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 horgen  Moderator
I've sent an email to Asus asking about this. Will update the OP as soon as I get an answer from them :)
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I would like to know the answer to this as well. You've got me thinking now, :P

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

That mobo has four chassis fan connectors on it. A fan draws about 2 watts.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

That mobo has four chassis fan connectors on it. A fan draws about 2 watts.

Blistrax
The fans I use on my radiator draws about 1W per fan I believe. These ones... 12V times 0.08A is just less than 1W.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
So I got an answer. [quote="Asus customer service"]Hi CPU fan header 2A the rest combined max 2 A

The manual says 1A about the CPU fan header, however it does also have CPU opt fan header so I guess that one has 1A aswell.