Want to get into PC gaming looking for advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scooterguy140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 scooterguy140
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not but here go's:

Can anybody tell me if there are any older games that I could run on my system? I have a Gateway NV55C, Intel Core i3-370 prossor, 4GB.... Not sure what other specs to mention... Even If its like old 90's FPS or platformer I think that would be fun. 

Or what would I need to upgrade to be able to play some games?

I don't have the money right now to buy or build a fancy PC, but I'm starting think about going PC rather then getting a PS4 or Xbox1. Right now I'm just trying to research. Can you tell me what the minimum requirements are for a gaming PC? I've learned at least 8GB is preferred, you need a good graphics card and processor.... But, how do you know whats good and whats not?

Also, I am wondering can you just use your gaming PC as a console? couldn't I just hook up the computer to the TV and use a controller or have a mouse a keyboard on the coffee table, as long as it was wireless or had a long chord? 

Thank for the help!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Also, I am wondering can you just use your gaming PC as a console? couldn't I just hook up the computer to the TV and use a controller or have a mouse a keyboard on the coffee table, as long as it was wireless or had a long chord? 

Thank for the help!

scooterguy140

Yes you can

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts
Dont worry man, you should be able to play tons of games on low settings. Im playing shogun 2 total war on a laptop that has a i3, 4gbs of ram, and a intel 3000. steam offers loads of games that will run on those specs. Check out hotline miami, binding of isaac, awesomenauts, bit.runner, and so on to give you a taste. I hope you will enjoy the pc as many of us do on this forum. Hope this helps.
Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts
Go dl steam and purchase a few games off the store. I think the steam summer sale is still going on.
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Check this out :

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It will tell you if a game you want to play will run on your current pc or not.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Check this out :

LazySloth718
That site sucks.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

[QUOTE="LazySloth718"]

Check this out :

MonsieurX

That site sucks.

Yeah dont listen to that site, it once told me my last cpu (intel g850 that was able to handle Crysis 3) that I could not run Skyrim.

scooterguy140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 scooterguy140

Thanks ill look into those.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Lots of great classic games out there. Fallout 1 and 2, Planescape Torment, Postal 2, etc...

ShermheadRyder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 ShermheadRyder
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts

Check this out :

LazySloth718
This site is awful, constantly inaccurate. You should be able to play a fairly large amount of games with those specs
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Can anybody tell me if there are any older games that I could run on my system? I have a Gateway NV55C, Intel Core i3-370 prossor, 4GB.... Not sure what other specs to mention... Even If its like old 90's FPS or platformer I think that would be fun. 

I don't have the money right now to buy or build a fancy PC, but I'm starting think about going PC rather then getting a PS4 or Xbox1. Right now I'm just trying to research. Can you tell me what the minimum requirements are for a gaming PC? I've learned at least 8GB is preferred, you need a good graphics card and processor.... But, how do you know whats good and whats not?

Thank for the help!

scooterguy140
You don't want to upgrade trust me. It's going to cost a fortune to upgrade your PC because the next gen consoles are just around the corner, and at $400 a PS4 will destroy any PC in terms of a cost-to-power ratio.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46512 Posts

You don't want to upgrade trust me. It's going to cost a fortune to upgrade your PC because the next gen consoles are just around the corner, and at $400 a PS4 will destroy any PC in terms of a cost-to-power ratio.SKaREO

And PC destroys any consoles when it comes to price of games, accesoires, amount of freeware, mods and free to play games. Saying consoles are cheaper is true in the short term, but that's way too short sighted.

Perhaps TC is not interested in console gaming ? Perhaps that is why he asked this in the PC forum ? Have you thought about that ?

IAAGguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IAAGguy
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

Thank for the help!

scooterguy140
You're playing on a laptop right? Well if you're quite lucky the graphics card is not soldered into your PC and you can possibly upgrade your graphics card. For suggestions on games on a PC like that: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Insanely fun game, if you can get past the combat) Grand Theft Auto III (I'm sure your computer can handle this game and GTA: Vice City, Not so sure about GTA: San Andreas though) Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault (A Good Ol' FPS game)
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
What GPU do you have? If it's not decent, you can just add a $100 GPU to that system for now and play any new game out there.. Also, playing PC games on a large HDTV is epic... 1lcx.jpg
scooterguy140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scooterguy140

Sorry I'm not real great at keeping up with my boards. I did finally find a fun game to play on my computer: Evoland. It was short but fun and I think it was a good starting point to remind me that I might be able to enjoy more then just action games and 3rd person shooters. I LOVED FF7 and am still obsessed with it, So I was thinking of looking into a FF game. Also, I was thinking of replaying Symphony of the Night, since I loved it when I first played it back in 1999 or so. Maybe Zelda? but does that have a good story? I never actually beat it as a kid. The thing for me is there has to be a decent story line to it. I should mention PS3, XBOX 360 (canceled XBOX live), and GameCube are all options too.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

If you want some extra help for your other systems, the Games Recommendation Thread in the Primary Games Discussion forum could be another good place to look for help!

You can give a description, and someone might stop by and think of a game that fits it, or with their opinion about a game you mention.

There's Zelda games on the GameCube (most recently there's Twilight Princess). I didn't play all the way through the game, but I think the story does go a bit beyond the general 'rescue the princess' type story and could be pretty good.

The Witcher 1 might be able to run on your computer and has a pretty good story. The gameplay might not be for everyone though so check it out first if you're interested. There's The Witcher 2 as well (not sure if it would work on your computer, but I guess if you end up liking the first one you could get the bonus of a continuing story in the long run if you do upgrade) -- The Witcher 2 is on Xbox 360 as well.

For games that I've liked that I think your computer could run, there's:
- FEAR 1 [shooter with slow motion and some horror parts -- some cool bits in the story]
- BioShock (on low-ish graphics settings?? Try the demo first) [good story]
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent [first person horror game]
- Portal and Portal 2 (also on Xbox 360 and PS3) [first person puzzle games]
- Halo: Combat Evolved (the first Halo game, runs good on weaker computers) [it's Halo]

scooterguy140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 scooterguy140

Oooo, Amnesia: The Dark Descent looks cool. Hopefully I can run it. Thanks!

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]You don't want to upgrade trust me. It's going to cost a fortune to upgrade your PC because the next gen consoles are just around the corner, and at $400 a PS4 will destroy any PC in terms of a cost-to-power ratio.R4gn4r0k

And PC destroys any consoles when it comes to price of games, accesoires, amount of freeware, mods and free to play games. Saying consoles are cheaper is true in the short term, but that's way too short sighted.

Perhaps TC is not interested in console gaming ? Perhaps that is why he asked this in the PC forum ? Have you thought about that ?

You can't lend your PC game to your friend, or try his out and see if you like it. When you buy a PC game, you simply put money into the Internet and out comes 1's and 0's. When you buy a game for the console, you get a physical copy of the game in the store, it still has that new game smell to it. On PC, if you buy the strategy guide bundle, they send you a PDF file.. LOL. On the consoles, you get a nice binded book with beautiful art and a new book smell to it. It feel so much better spending money on consoles. Aside from that, you can buy a used console with tons of games for very cheap, or you can sell your console and all the game years from now if you decide to quit gaming, unlike your PC. Nobody will buy that PC in a few years time, it's garbage.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

You can't lend your PC game to your friend, or try his out and see if you like it. When you buy a PC game, you simply put money into the Internet and out comes 1's and 0's. When you buy a game for the console, you get a physical copy of the game in the store, it still has that new game smell to it. On PC, if you buy the strategy guide bundle, they send you a PDF file.. LOL. On the consoles, you get a nice binded book with beautiful art and a new book smell to it. It feel so much better spending money on consoles. Aside from that, you can buy a used console with tons of games for very cheap, or you can sell your console and all the game years from now if you decide to quit gaming, unlike your PC. Nobody will buy that PC in a few years time, it's garbage.SKaREO

Seems like PC gaming is nothing for you.

I still buy lots of games as physical copies in a store... but I don't do that to smell them. I do that because they are cheaper than the DD versions in most cases. Call of Juarez gunslinger was 15 euro on steam, 10 euro in a store.

I've never bought a game second hand or sold any of my games. I like to support developers. Not supporting developers, piracy and second hand sales has led to the overpresence of DLC and day one DLC we have now. I never intend to sell my games collection. If I ever do quit PC gaming, which will never happen, I'll give my steam account to someone and give my games away. They can still be used by someone else, most of the CD keys allow for multiple uses, you just can't use them at the same time.

If all you want from gaming is to be able to resell your games then please do switch to console gaming.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]You can't lend your PC game to your friend, or try his out and see if you like it. When you buy a PC game, you simply put money into the Internet and out comes 1's and 0's. When you buy a game for the console, you get a physical copy of the game in the store, it still has that new game smell to it. On PC, if you buy the strategy guide bundle, they send you a PDF file.. LOL. On the consoles, you get a nice binded book with beautiful art and a new book smell to it. It feel so much better spending money on consoles. Aside from that, you can buy a used console with tons of games for very cheap, or you can sell your console and all the game years from now if you decide to quit gaming, unlike your PC. Nobody will buy that PC in a few years time, it's garbage.R4gn4r0k

Seems like PC gaming is nothing for you.

I still buy lots of games as physical copies in a store... but I don't do that to smell them. I do that because they are cheaper than the DD versions in most cases. Call of Juarez gunslinger was 15 euro on steam, 10 euro in a store.

I've never bought a game second hand or sold any of my games. I like to support developers. Not supporting developers, piracy and second hand sales has led to the overpresence of DLC and day one DLC we have now. I never intend to sell my games collection. If I ever do quit PC gaming, which will never happen, I'll give my steam account to someone and give my games away. They can still be used by someone else, most of the CD keys allow for multiple uses, you just can't use them at the same time.

If all you want from gaming is to be able to resell your games then please do switch to console gaming.

I don't have to switch, I've been a console gamer my entire life. I've been a PC gamer my entire life also. You seem like you've never been a console gamer at all. So who would take your biased opinion over mine? Haha.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

I don't have to switch, I've been a console gamer my entire life. I've been a PC gamer my entire life also. You seem like you've never been a console gamer at all. So who would take your biased opinion over mine? Haha.SKaREO

Switch as in go full console gamer. Just leave PC gaming !

You also have no clue what you are talking about. I started gaming on the commodore 64 and have owned consoles all my life.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SKaREO
Guy walks into a bar with a Gateway PC donning an i3 and integrated graphics. Bartender shoots him a funny look but goes on about his business keeping the glasses clean. The PC dude walks up to the bar and asks for a AAA game. Bartender says "Look pal, I don't know what part of town you're from, but this is a PC gaming bar, and we only sell PC games. You want AAA games? Go over to the console bar there where people care about ratings. This is a PC bar and here we only care about challenge and good games." The guy looks around the bar and sees a bunch of people tweaking their i7 processors and installing quad SLI systems with multiple discreet graphics processors. "Gee, you know what?" the guy says "I must have been kidding myself to come in this place. What a nightmare, I think I'll go buy a console now." That's my attempt at telling a joke. In hindsight, I will never tell another joke in my life.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]You don't want to upgrade trust me. It's going to cost a fortune to upgrade your PC because the next gen consoles are just around the corner, and at $400 a PS4 will destroy any PC in terms of a cost-to-power ratio.SKaREO

You can't lend your PC game to your friend, or try his out and see if you like it. When you buy a PC game, you simply put money into the Internet and out comes 1's and 0's. When you buy a game for the console, you get a physical copy of the game in the store, it still has that new game smell to it. On PC, if you buy the strategy guide bundle, they send you a PDF file.. LOL. On the consoles, you get a nice binded book with beautiful art and a new book smell to it. It feel so much better spending money on consoles. Aside from that, you can buy a used console with tons of games for very cheap, or you can sell your console and all the game years from now if you decide to quit gaming, unlike your PC. Nobody will buy that PC in a few years time, it's garbage.

On PC, you can get your games however you want them. Physical or digital, same as consoles.. witcher2_contents_collectors.jpg And my $200 GPU is more powerful than the PS4 and XB1 COMBINED. So, yeah, there's that, too...

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SKaREO
[QUOTE="superclocked"]On PC, you can get your games however you want them. Physical or digital, same as consoles.. And my $200 GPU is more powerful than the PS4 and XB1 COMBINED. So, yeah, there's that, too...

And then you can't trade your games or resell them with your system when you get bored of them. You think your junk computer is going to compete with a PS4? No, it's not. No PC on the Earth has 8GB GDDR5 RAM installed in a unified architecture. The PS4 offers developers far more customization possibilities than any PC to date. Don't be ignorant and say silly things like that.
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

Don't bother with S, he is where the term fakeboy came from.

FAHAD_KHATRI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FAHAD_KHATRI
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Download Mortal Kombat: http://avail-softwares-games-ebooks.blogspot.com/2013/07/rg-mechanics-mortal-kombat-2013-pc-game.html
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Oooo, Amnesia: The Dark Descent looks cool. Hopefully I can run it. Thanks!

scooterguy140

no problem (: have fun!