Walk with character in a Space Sim game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jsweet2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jsweet2k4
Member since 2003 • 2372 Posts

Hey do you know any space sim games that play in 3rd person view like Freelancer or Earth & Beyond?

Also, more importantly, Do you know any that let you dock/land on stations/planets and walk around with a humanoid character in 3rd person view just like Earth & Beyond?

I love space sim games, but i always feel traped in the ship. I wanna be able to get out sometimes, maybe walk around a bit in my own ship ya know? or walk around in a space station. Maybe someday someone will make a game like that, but also let you land on a planet, and explore/kill stuff with lightsabers or lazer-guns, in sizeable areas.

col_hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 col_hannibal
Member since 2007 • 389 Posts
Dark Star One lets you view the inside of the space station, it's 2d, like point-and-click adventure style but you can't really interact with characters or anything.
df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

Hey do you know any space sim games that play in 3rd person view like Freelancer or Earth & Beyond?

Also, more importantly, Do you know any that let you dock/land on stations/planets and walk around with a humanoid character in 3rd person view just like Earth & Beyond?

I love space sim games, but i always feel traped in the ship. I wanna be able to get out sometimes, maybe walk around a bit in my own ship ya know? or walk around in a space station. Maybe someday someone will make a game like that, but also let you land on a planet, and explore/kill stuff with lightsabers or lazer-guns, in sizeable areas.

Jsweet2k4

That sounds like it'd be really sweet... It'd be cool to have an FPS where you went on space ships, landed on planets, walked in and out of your ship, but made it more realistic. Doom 3 comes to mind, but I was thinking with more freedom, and have it so your oxygen tanks lasts for more than 20 seconds. Somehow I don't understand how you're guy sucks down a whole tank in 20 seconds. He's like homer simpson when he was climbing the murderhorn mountain.

captainkeys343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 captainkeys343
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
hey, I know this thread is a bit old, but if your still interested Star Trek: Elite force lets you roam pretty much the entire ship, and *visit* planets and such. But you dont get to fly the spacecraft or actually choose which planets to 'beam' down to. Darkstar One basically IS freelancer, more or less. And col_hannibal, the method of interacting with the stations is just like freelancer. df853 - your an idiot. Doom 3? Its a sci-fi fps, not space sim. The closest thing to what your after is the battlecruiser series. You cant walk around your own craft, but you can land on planets in FPS and shoot stuff up. Oh, if you can find a version in english, look up Parkan II. Thats basically what your after, but only europeans are cool enough to actually make it. I've been thinking of excactly the same idea for a game. I know a little about development, and im trying to work out how you could incorporate real-time damage to the interior of the craft. And I've come up with a few good ideas already. With the power of gaming rigs now-a-days, I don't think its too much to think you can have whole starship interiors running. Especially if you construct it 'on the fly' with pre-made modules (A metre of corridor for instance), and sort of copy paste them infront of your LOS as you move around the ship, and remove them as you walk by, according to tables that tell the game what the ship should look like, saving heaps of space and freeing a whole lot of GPU/CPU power.
Isimbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Isimbot
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Mass Effect... but it's not really a sim, yet it's really!!! good.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
No.. But if you want a game with amazing depth and options.. Its X3.. though you don't get to walk around teh station, you can do infinitely more things then games like Freelancer ever could. Though be warned the game is anything but dumbed and requires patience and research to learn the game, but the people who get by the steep and play it for a prolong time all have positive reviews.. Infact I think I have only gotten a handful out of hundreds of negative feedbacks of people who played for at least 15+ hours at least.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
Parkan II. It's a crappy Russian space sim with terrible translation and uninspired gameplay, but you can jump out of your ship and go into FPS mode.