Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Topic. I ordered through bestbuy and it arrived at the store. I'm thinking if I should pick it up or cancel it then wait for those ips 1080p panels to arrive.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Can you say a bit more about what you're asking?

Are you asking whether an IPS 144Hz (with likely slower response time) is a better buy? That's pretty subjective/personal taste, IMO.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bikouchu35

@xantufrog: I'm waiting for the ips 1080 144. Im assuming is September when it comes out at least for aoc. I just brought it home and it looks ugly b.c is tn. So I think I'm going to return it.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@Bikouchu35: So you already have an IPS monitor? I also don't know which way to go monitor wise, I have a 60Hz TN, I guess after that every IPS monitor would look motion blurry.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bikouchu35

@PfizersaurusRex said:

@Bikouchu35: So you already have an IPS monitor? I also don't know which way to go monitor wise, I have a 60Hz TN, I guess after that every IPS monitor would look motion blurry.

No this one is TN. I didn't have a TN for a while so I didn't know what to expect. It does look less ugly than old TN, but it still does look ugly. I'm just going to have a joyride with this for a week then return it and wait for an 24" ips 1080p 144 config. Its pretty annoying if the big boys like LG or AUO doesn't make a certain panel than no brands can sell them obviously, so they didn't exist until recently, but hasn't come over to that states yet.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PfizersaurusRex

@Bikouchu35 said:
@PfizersaurusRex said:

No this one is TN. I didn't have a TN for a while so I didn't know what to expect. It does look less ugly than old TN, but it still does look ugly. I'm just going to have a joyride with this for a week then return it and wait for an 24" ips 1080p 144 config. Its pretty annoying if the big boys like LG or AUO doesn't make a certain panel than no brands can sell them obviously, so they didn't exist until recently, but hasn't come over to that states yet.

I get that it's TN, what I mean is you're probably used to IPS picture quality. That's why TN looks ugly to you. I only tried a non gaming ultra wide LG IPS briefly and BF4 looked like motion blur was set to 100%. But I recon as long as those new 144 Hz IPS monitors have low input lag they'll be fine. A little motion blur won't hurt.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bikouchu35

@PfizersaurusRex said:

I get that it's TN, what I mean is you're probably used to IPS picture quality. That's why TN looks ugly to you. I only tried a non gaming ultra wide LG IPS briefly and BF4 looked like motion blur was set to 100%. But I recon as long as those new 144 Hz IPS monitors have low input lag they'll be fine. A little motion blur won't hurt.

Yup, hope I didn't come off as an asshat. Yeah I'll definitely return it for ips, as I surf the web a lot and that becomes much more noticeable. It does feel kind of trippy now that I have it hooked up, everything feels sped up like a michael mann's movie. Thanks for the input.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PfizersaurusRex

BTW any exact models you're waiting for? I only found this Asus 27" monitor VG279Q which is available now, but it's kind of big for 1080p. There's an AOC VA monitor that has good reviews C24G1, it shouldn't be too different than IPS exept it's curved. I'm seriously considering it, but no store in my city has it, so I can't see it, and I'm not sure if I'd like a curved monitor. Sigh...

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bikouchu35

@PfizersaurusRex said:

BTW any exact models you're waiting for? I only found this Asus 27" monitor VG279Q which is available now, but it's kind of big for 1080p. There's an AOC VA monitor that has good reviews C24G1, it shouldn't be too different than IPS exept it's curved. I'm seriously considering it, but no store in my city has it, so I can't see it, and I'm not sure if I'd like a curved monitor. Sigh...

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/aocs-agon-g2-flat-gaming-price-release-date-3691730

I'm eyeing on this or anything ips at that very size.

I really like the VA price, but I'm the same as you. Not a fan of the curve, but havent own one yet, so idk how I'll feel keeping one. Perhaps you are going to have to venture a little further to find a display model or just order one and return if it isn't your thing.

I'm a big fan of VAs since they make good tv panels, but I'm not 100% sold on gaming monitors of it just yet.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 burntbyhellfire
Member since 2019 • 789 Posts

i see a lot of IPS 144hz panels sold that have a ridiculously high GTG response time which would equate to less than 144hz making the monitors not capable of achieving a real 144.. so read the specs and be careful.. if there is a true 144hz IPS, you'll likely be spending more than $300 for a 1080P 24 inch

ive been monitor shopping as well.. i may get a curved because i want to get three of them, thin bezel, and mount them together.. but, i'd imagine i could do a pretty similar job with three flat screens as well

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bikouchu35

@burntbyhellfire: stalk buildapcsale Reddit. They usually have monitors on there. Also if you live within two hours of a microcenter it could be worth the trip. $150 curved va are there. From what I read most ips have slightly higher response time too but isn't too noticeable with most people or non-pros. Given though TN is dinosaur tech so they been making it for ages thus they are able to make such flawless monitors in terms of speed.

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 burntbyhellfire

the poor response time on IPS panels may not be bad enough to not be capable of a true 144hz response time, or it may be.. many IPS monitors try to confuse people by using an MPRT rating which allows them to advertise a response time far lower than what they actually provide

VAs can handle response times a bit better than IPS, short of a middle ground.. but to get a good IPS panel that can do a true 144hz, you'll simply have to pay more than $300

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I love IPS 144Hz

My ideal monitor would be WQHD 27" or UWQHD 34" with IPS panel, 120+ Hz, G-Sync, with full-array local dimming amd 1000 nits for HDR support.

....that is until micro LEDs become a consumer thing.

Also a note about pixel response time and IPS vs TN panels. TN panels look like garbage compared to IPS. So I always opt for a little potential ghosting and backlight bleed and take an IPS rather than the dull-looking TN panels.

When comparing TN with typical GtG (grey-to-grey) pixel response time of 1ms vs a good IPS's 4ms - a 4ms response time will get you to 250 Hz before you get the ghosting effect. Obviously the response time could be higher if you are going full black-to-white - GtG is just used as an average. So a 144Hz IPS panel is a pretty good sweet spot.

This is a completely different metric from input lag.

Also a lot of cheaper monitors use VA panels, which is between TN and IPS, but still look dull to next to a real IPS panel. Slightly better viewing angle than a TN (which again look bad from almost any angle).

burntbyhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 burntbyhellfire

ive been looking at the sceptre 165hz monitor.. better refresh than 144, its color accuracy and darks are really good, no backlight bleed, close to IPS, and its a decent little piece for the price.. the only thing i dont really like about sceptres though is how their vesa mounts are near the bottom which means if you have any other monitors you mount up on the sides for a 3 panel setup, you'll need to make sure to get a mount that lets you adjust the center monitor independently to get them even... i personally think all vesa mounts should be centered on the screen

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bikouchu35

@pyro1245: you should check out TVs for hdr instead, imo, and a seperate higher speed monitor just because of cost. It seems like monitors, the more features you expect from it like size, hz, panels, 10bit etc., the price skyrockets. Where as a tv you can get a true hdr full array tv 55" for $500-600, heck even my cheap ass 4k 43" $250 has beautiful black contrast, for $50 more you can get one with wide color gamut. VAs tv are damn good imo, then just get something smaller/cheaper that's 144hz for a monitor to game comp fps/fast paced genres, while slower pace games and single player can be used for the tv.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts
@Bikouchu35 said:

@pyro1245: you should check out TVs for hdr instead, imo, and a seperate higher speed monitor just because of cost. It seems like monitors, the more features you expect from it like size, hz, panels, 10bit etc., the price skyrockets. Where as a tv you can get a true hdr full array tv 55" for $500-600, heck even my cheap ass 4k 43" $250 has beautiful black contrast, for $50 more you can get one with wide color gamut. VAs tv are damn good imo, then just get something smaller/cheaper that's 144hz for a monitor to game comp fps/fast paced genres, while slower pace games and single player can be used for the tv.

I have a nice 65" TV with full-array local dimming for HDR content. TCL 6-series.

60Hz is a pretty noticeable step down from 144 though. Thankfully game mode helps with the input lag, but I think it also bypasses the HDR and local dimming (maybe?). Also I don't think my TV can do 4K HDR @60Hz, I think it will be limited to 30Hz.

I've tried several different TVs (including my brothers super-nice OLED, and I just keep coming back to the fact that I enjoy the experience on a high-refresh rate monitor way more.

Games that run at 30Hz with HDR (RDR2 on X1X for example) just feel like they have 500ms+ input lag (maybe an exaggeration). Feels bad.

There are products in the large-format display market that are spec'd like a good monitor (Nvidia BFGD), but they are many thousands of dollars.

I would say $600 is the min you can spend if you're going for a good monitor- Needs to be WQHD 27", needs to be IPS, and needs to have G-sync, and needs 120+Hz (IMO, of course)