Video frame buffer CPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theG168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 theG168
Member since 2005 • 3526 Posts

Well I was recently in my BIOS and I saw something called a video frame buffer or something like that, and had no clue what it is. I saw that I could decrease or increase the speed on this. it was currently at 64m and could go to 128m or 256m. What exactly is this and does it make any difference if I increase or decrease it? Also, will it harm my computer if I increase it, is it sort of like overclocking?

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

After a quick Google on the subject, I found this:

Frame Buffers

Frame buffer size is the total amount of system memory locked by the BIOS for video. A larger frame buffer size should result in higher video performance.

To adjust frame buffer size in the BIOS:

1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
2. Go to the Advanced > Video Configuration menu.
3. Set frame buffer size (options can vary based on board model).
4. Save by pressing F10 and exit the BIOS Setup.

So by the sounds of it, if you have an onboard video card, or intergrated card, this is where you would set up how much memory would be allocated from your total system RAM. If you have an actual video card installed on your computer, then I don't think it really applies. I'll read up a bit more to see if I can find any benefits from tweaking it with and expansion slot card installed. In the meantime, if anyone else has something to add, please do and correct me if my assumption is wrong.