This topic is locked from further discussion.

MxAa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MxAa
Member since 2005 • 906 Posts

So recently I almost had a heart attack (not literally) because I thought my video card was dead. It turns out the dvi port in my lcd screen is dead. I am using the VGA port right now with a dvi convertor in the video card. What's the main difference other then analog and digital. Any visual difference? I see absolutely no difference from dvi.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

DVI supports a higher maximum resolution, can carry audio to built in speakers, and isnt nearly as susceptble to interference.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

DVI supports a higher maximum resolution, can carry audio to built in speakers, and isnt nearly as susceptble to interference.

XaosII

DVI single link does not support a higher res than VGA. Some problems can occur with the lcd phase clock tc http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/clock_phase.php

Also if you have a high quality VGA cable, like an actual high quality one, there shouldn't be interference. However VGA is more subject to EMI. Most VGA cables are not as high quality. Analogue is not inherently worse, so your picture quality may be the same. Also there is a slight chance that you may get less input lag... just slight since some less extra processing might be skipped.

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
The only difference is one is digital and one is analog. Modern video cards and monitors use digital data, so there is some conversions going on. Also DVI does not carry audio.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

It's all about the quality and length of cable.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
DVI is digital, so the image will always be clean and clear. VGA is analog, so it is susceptible to interference. When using a monitor, VGA seems to always be clear. But when using my HDTV, VGA signals are pretty staticy. I'm guessing that it depends on whether or not the display uses an analog signal amplifier, because I seem to get the same staticy results on my HDTV no matter which VGA cable I use. Using a heavily shielded VGA cable would likely help reduce the static a bit, but the cables that I have are decent, so I still think that my HDTV just lacks a signal amplifier for the VGA input...
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

if u have a blu ray ROM, say good bye to high def because of copy protection (HDCP). it requres a digital start-to-finish system with everything along the chain being HDCP complient. old and cheap DVi monitor and all VGA ports are not HDCP complient.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
... DVI does not carry audio.SinfulPotato
The original standard did not provide for digital audio, but PC DVI ports now do and require only an adapter plug to connect to HDMI.