Very slow computer?!?!?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nitro792
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Hi, this is my first post, and heres the deal. Me and my dad wanted to build a computer because he wants me off his running COD 4 (i have mw2 on PS3). So we built one with an intel i5 750 quad core at 2.66 GHz, a Gigabyte P55A-UD3P motherboard, a samsung SATA BD drive, a samsung 250GB HDD, a pioneer IDE DVD drive (from older computer, we used it because we could!), 4GB of CORSAIR 1600MHz RAM, a Nvidia GT 240 video card,and a Cooler Master 500 watt PSU. I have several problems. The first one is that when we managed to get windows XP on (why xp? read.) it said that it had 3.25 GB of ram not 4GB. The second is that windows 7 wont run, it will hang at the "Starting Windows" screen with the windows icon animation. The third, is that when we got XP running (took FOREVER to install) even after i installed all the drivers and tweaked a lot of BIOS settings, it will run SUPER slow. I have disabled C1E which made XP stop hanging on boot and some other options.
dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 dracos9000
Member since 2006 • 1318 Posts

Ok well the problem for the ram is that you are using a 32 bit installation of windows xp so it will not read the 4 gb since it will reserve some of it for the system on a 32 bit system. In 64bit windows xp your computer should show all 4gb. How long did you wait for the windows 7 after it did the installation? The beginning of it does take awhile to boot when first starting. I would recommend reinstalling windows os. Delete the partition and do a full format. Then reinstall the os either 7 or xp; I recommend 7. During installation if you hear any clicking noises or grinding noises that can mean a bad drive which would explain slow installation and slow working os. If you do not hear the noise then it could just mean a bad install it happens. If after reinstalling it still hangs and reboots run a memory test by using this utility. Just download it on your dads computer and burn it to a cd and it will auto boot run the memory test for a day to be safe but if the ram is really bad it should show errors within a few hours. If you do not want to wait that long then run windows with each stick of ram by itself. If the system stops hanging you will know which ram chip is bad. I hope this helps you a little with your problems. Good luck.

jernas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 jernas
Member since 2005 • 1514 Posts

Hi, this is my first post, and heres the deal. Me and my dad wanted to build a computer because he wants me off his running COD 4 (i have mw2 on PS3). So we built one with an intel i5 750 quad core at 2.66 GHz, a Gigabyte P55A-UD3P motherboard, a samsung SATA BD drive, a samsung 250GB HDD, a pioneer IDE DVD drive (from older computer, we used it because we could!), 4GB of CORSAIR 1600MHz RAM, a Nvidia GT 240 video card,and a Cooler Master 500 watt PSU. I have several problems. The first one is that when we managed to get windows XP on (why xp? read.) it said that it had 3.25 GB of ram not 4GB. The second is that windows 7 wont run, it will hang at the "Starting Windows" screen with the windows icon animation. The third, is that when we got XP running (took FOREVER to install) even after i installed all the drivers and tweaked a lot of BIOS settings, it will run SUPER slow. I have disabled C1E which made XP stop hanging on boot and some other options.Nitro792

Which BIOS settings have you tweaked?

Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nitro792
I have disabled C3/C6/C7, EIST (or is it ESIT), and some other options (cant remember) Also we tried re installing 7 numerous times, with different settings, and we got it running, but even SLOWER, and it had so many restrictions, it didnt even let me change my users picture! And my user was an admin. we have also tried another HDD that is known to work (my dead 80GB ps3s HDD and my new slims 120GB)- woah, my dad went into the bios right now, and gave him an error (something about voltage, i only put the voltage up on my RAM, its made for 1.6V to 1.7V) and changed everything to the defaults! The computer wont boot on any operating system unless C1E is disabled as a side note. the only time its stable is on XP on the settings we had, and they just got reset, so XP wont boot and I cant run the mem test file unless the computer starts running. BTW there is internet set up on the computer, so no need to download it on my laptop untill we get it running again. EDIT: BTW 7 is in 32 and 64 bit, we have 64 and 32 bit versions of vista, and 32 bit xp, and I think we have windows 2000, dont know what bit it is, most likely 32 second edit: it just ran XP on default settings with C1E
Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nitro792
I just noticed that in the bios, my cpu temps are 50 degrees C!!!!!!!! that is crazy! it doesnt sound right, even for overheating. This is at idle in the BIOS!! That has to be it!
mitch2411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mitch2411
Member since 2004 • 523 Posts

I just noticed that in the bios, my cpu temps are 50 degrees C!!!!!!!! that is crazy! it doesnt sound right, even for overheating. This is at idle in the BIOS!! That has to be it!Nitro792

I dont know what the problem is, but 50C idle is kind of high, but it will work just fine. I believe intel processors have a higher top end for temps but amd's top out at about 62C but will work absolutely fine at 56(I know this for a fact :P). Its not cpu temps, Im pretty sure its not.

dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dracos9000

memtest boots off the cd. If you can't run the test take out your dads ram from his pc if its possible and try and see if that fixes the problems reset the bios. If that is not possible try to run it using only one stick of ram to see if one of the sticks are bad. checks the voltages on your bios make sure the power supply isn't the culprit but in most cases it ends up being the ram.

Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nitro792
the RAM is fine, right after I downloaded the mem test software, he told me that he had already ran a test on the ram, and it was fine
Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nitro792
Im on the computer right now and I noticed that after making the fan fixed to 100% speed, the computer sped up a little, so that makes me think that it is the heat
dracos9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dracos9000

Even though 50c is hot at idle it still shouldn't cause the problems you are having. Try resiting the processor and reapply the heat paste. How long was the memtest ran when checked?

Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nitro792
IDK about the mem test, but i think i have thermal paste left over from when I tried to fix my first PS3 (BSOD then RLOD)
Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nitro792
ok so i got a 120 mm fan (+blue LEDs!) and now the CPU is 30C at idle!
Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nitro792
that fan seemed to fix it, its running COD 4 at max graphics no problem
Nitro792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nitro792
Turns out it was the heat. Thanks for the help! Its running 7 fine now with no bugs
desertpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 desertpython
Member since 2006 • 1277 Posts

Heat? Maybe, but I would reseat the CPU and apply new thermal paste. A new CPU cooler like Coolermaster's Hyper 212+ would also help. The fans I'm not surprised, my 965 dropped 5 degrees when I turned up the fans in my case to High, and the motherboard dropped by 3.