Upgrading my monitor...what should I get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This is the monitor I'm upgrading from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009163

It's a good monitor, but its about 5 years old at this point and lacks the sharpness of more modern screens. I haven't been keeping up with monitor releases, so I have no idea what I should pick.

My price range is around the $200 mark

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

The Asus PB238Q is $209... Its the best monitor in that price range. Its a 23 inch 8 bit IPS. It will give you far better colour's than what you are currently getting.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Once you go IPS you will never go back

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

unless youre a gamer.. you will probably got TN ;P

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@TDuiker said:

@04dcarraher said:

Well depends on what he wants. Color accuracy and visual clarity, or a faster response time. I went with a good ips screen and I'll never go back. Put it up against any of my friends monitors and tv's and non of them even come close to looking as good. Their TN and plasma's might have lower response times but everything is washed out with a greyish hue.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TDuiker

@ribstaylor1 said:

@TDuiker said:

@04dcarraher said:

Well depends on what he wants. Color accuracy and visual clarity, or a faster response time. I went with a good ips screen and I'll never go back. Put it up against any of my friends monitors and tv's and non of them even come close to looking as good. Their TN and plasma's might have lower response times but everything is washed out with a greyish hue.

Ofcourse a IPS panel is going to look better then TN, but if youre a online gamer you really want to get a TN.

Ive got IPS panels, but now im getting a TN (VG248QE)

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7  Edited By Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

i used a samsung 1680*1050 TN monitor from April 2011 to July 2013, i still felt great immersion playing games like Alan Wake and Crysis 3 on it. But the Samsung S27C350 took immersion to the next level. There was one problem though, i died more often in crysis 3 and alan wake because i could not react as fast. Im actually thinking in a few years time to go for a cheap 4k tn panel. I really miss the responsiveness of a TN panel. I own the ASUS PB278Q 1440p monitor now.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 04dcarraher

@TDuiker said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

@TDuiker said:

@04dcarraher said:

Ofcourse a IPS panel is going to look better then TN, but if youre a online gamer you really want to get a TN.

You see no difference between a 60hz TN vs 60hz IPS actually helping you in MP.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TDuiker

@04dcarraher said:

@TDuiker said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

@TDuiker said:

@04dcarraher said:

You see no difference between a 60hz TN vs 60hz IPS actually helping you in MP.

I guess you dont :P

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Both are limited by 60Hz. The only reason to go for TN is if you want 120/144Hz... And have the GPU power to pull 100+ frames per second.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere

I don't have a high end CPU or GPU (7870 and i5 2500k)

I think I'll go with an IPS monitor simply because it looks better.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 04dcarraher

@JangoWuzHere said:

I don't have a high end CPU or GPU (7870 and i5 2500k)

Good choice

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I have an IPS and I'll never go back as well. I caught my 27" on a huge sale. If you look around you got find bigger size in your range (I'm talking about IPS).

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Sorry for my misspelling, I just got out of the hospital, I was in a huge car wreck at nearly 100mph so forgive my slowness.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

that is my biggest fear once i get Asus 1440p 144hz monitor. The switch to TN is going to be brutal.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@insane_metalist said:

I have an IPS and I'll never go back as well. I caught my 27" on a huge sale. If you look around you got find bigger size in your range (I'm talking about IPS).

There are different types of IPS panels... They range from 6bit, 8bit, 10bit and they all have different types of coating. Size is meaningless especially if you don't increase the resolution.

Asus PB238Q27" $200 IPS
Panel8bit6bit
PPI9580
ErgonomicsTilt, swivel, height adjustTilt at best
Connectivity4x USB, HDMI, DP, DVI, D-SUBHDMI, DVI

Its a generalisation but you pay premium for better quality and features.

The ASUS PB will give you a better image since it has a higher PPI and a 8bit panel in comparison to a cheap 27" $200 IPS.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TDuiker

@horgen said:

Both are limited by 60Hz. The only reason to go for TN is if you want 120/144Hz... And have the GPU power to pull 100+ frames per second.

Faster refresh rates do help. Faster response time aswell..

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@TDuiker said:

@horgen said:

Input lag hasn't been a issue for the past 5 years now... Back when IPS panels where 30ms+ input lag was problem. Now its really not a issue and in some cases like the Dell S27 IPS panel has lower input lag than a Benq 120Hz and even my monitor the Dell U29 is at 17ms while the Benq is at 13ms.... basically you won't notice a difference.

Colour and resolution along with PPI will give you a better visual experience in every game... Refresh rates are all TN's have as a advantage right now but even that is heavily flawed since you need a GPU that can achieve 120fps in order to take advantage of that feature or you could lower your settings.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TDuiker

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@TDuiker said:

@horgen said:

Input lag hasn't been a issue for the past 5 years now... Back when IPS panels where 30ms+ input lag was problem. Now its really not a issue and in some cases like the Dell S27 IPS panel has lower input lag than a Benq 120Hz and even my monitor the Dell U29 is at 17ms while the Benq is at 13ms.... basically you won't notice a difference.

Colour and resolution along with PPI will give you a better visual experience in every game... Refresh rates are all TN's have as a advantage right now but even that is heavily flawed since you need a GPU that can achieve 120fps in order to take advantage of that feature or you could lower your settings.

17 and 13 ms.. seriously :P

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@TDuiker said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@TDuiker said:

@horgen said:

16ms = 1 frame... 1 frame out of 60 frames in 1 second... You won't notice a thing.

17ms is from a IPS and the 13ms is from a TN 120hz panel.

The lowest input lag on that graph is 3.2ms... That's a IPS panel by the way.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Another option to consider is the BenQ GW2450 which only cost $150 and uses a True 8 Bit VA panel this has a few advantages compared to TN or IPS panels you find in most monitors that effects image quality. First off it has more then double the contrast ratio of the best IPS monitors which only have around 1000:1 max static contrast ratio this is around 2500:1 contrast ratio depending on the back light settings you use.

This a important factor in determining image quality most monitors are really lacking in this department. The hyper inflated dynamic contrast ratio you see advertised mean nothing due to no standard and are just marketing fluff they can shut off the panels back light completely and compare that to the monitor back light at max on a white image and say they have 20 million to one of whatever other nonsense number that means nothing in actual use.

Although the BenQ GW2450 actually does have a usable dynamic contrast mode that can reach over 15000:1 dynamic contrast at its highest settings it lets you pick from 1-5 levels. When turned on you lose control over the controls for color and contrast and brightness it will control this for you in scenes that are brighter it raises the backlight up to as much as max if you have it at the highest settings or less for lower settings and in darker scenes it will lower the back light down gradually over several seconds.

its not as good as having a high static contrast but its there if you want to use it. Personally I don't use it since it over saturates the colors and applies this sharpening filter you can't disable. But I can see some people would like it and use it for games and movies.

Personally I'd probably use it more if this didn't happen but oh well with around a 2500:1 static contrast ratio I'm content with how it looks normally I'd prefer having a higher static contrast ratio like the Eizo monitor I posted below has.

The second area most monitors really fail in is black levels ip and tn panels have pretty poor black levels a best have 0.12 black levels and most are going to have higher levels. This is another area where va panels really excel in over tn or ips monitors the black levels are much lower around 0.04-0.06 across the board that 2-3 times improvement over the best ips or tn panel monitors.

Deeper black levels are another big factor in image quality of a display and VA panels are simply the best right now in this department as far as monitors are concerned its still a farcry from what the best t.v or projectors are capable of hopefully one day consumer oled monitors will come out that change that but until then have to make due with what available to us.

Now I've discussed the advantages VA Panels can offer and for $150 you probably thinking this is a pretty good deal for a monitor but there has to be some kind of catch sadly there is you can't have everything you want and keep the price so low. The big issue with VA monitors is motion blur the response time on VA panels is bad natively and results in lots of ghosting and overdrive settings are needed to help smooth out the motion earlier VA monitors had pretty atrocious ghosting even with there overdrive settings set to max which made them totally unusable to fast paced gaming.

The BenQ GW2450 has greatly improve in this area with its over drive settings off its better then the past VA monitor with there overdrive settings at max. Turn it on to its high settings and you get much smoother motion but still some motion blurring is noticeable especially when turning at high speed it depends on the game how noticable it will be TF2 is the best test of this in my experience. Turning it to its highest premium setting results in very smooth motion for a 60HZ monitor even smoother then what my 60HZ IPS Panel was capable of. But sadly its to aggressive and overshoots this causes this very noticeable color shift when moving around in games.

So only high settings is usable which still has some ghosting you can notice especially in a game like TF2 I was thinking of returning mine personally but luckily by overclocking the monitor refresh rate you can improve motion smoothness and reduce motion blur. It excepts as high as 71.4HZ over DVi without any artifacting.

This extra boost in motion smoothness is just what it needed it still not perfect but I can defiantly live with it now most games I don't notice any motion blur at all and with the other advantages it offers I plan to keep my GW2450 for the $130 I paid for it I'm happy.

Another disadvantage compared to a good ips is viewing angles are poor its not a big deal for me as 99.999% of the time when I'm viewing this monitor head on within the sweet spot but if you need really good viewing angles this monitor ain't for you.

If someone wants more info on this particular monitor you can get a really good in depth review of the BenQGW2450 from TFT Central. Also I don't recommend getting a refurbished or used version of this monitor go for a new one the latest revisions have a newer back light that are flicker free I didn't notice any of this on mine despite using it for dozens of hours until recently when playing Alan wake but the money you save not worth it to have to potentially deal with seeing it especially if you end up begin sensitive to it.

For someone looking to overclock this monitor you will this program Custom Resolution Utility add a new detailed resolution and set the timings to LCD standard and change the refresh rate to 71.4hz. Make sure this resolution is at thetop of the list in detailed resolution so games will choose this when you launch them. Then you just need to restart you PC.

Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

If it doesn't work and your using amd then download and run this pixel patcher I was having trouble and it worked for me once I ran this and restarted my computer.

AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DJ_Headshot

@daious said:

@04dcarraher said:

that is my biggest fear once i get Asus 1440p 144hz monitor. The switch to TN is going to be brutal.

If you can afford it you don't necessarily need to sacrifice anything The Eizo FG2421 is a True 120hz 10bit VA panel with a light boost like technology built in to give it 240HZ smoothness but with all the advantages of a VA panel. Its better then any other VA monitor before it this is the grandaddy of them all. It has an impressive contrast ratio nearing 5000:1 and has a calibrated black level of 0.025(they round up to 0.03 on the graph) but it can go lower then 0.02 if you lower the back light more. You can find an in depth review here only problem is the high cost and the seemingly poor quality control you take a gamble buying one so always buy new and somewhere with a good return policy like newegg.

If you manage to get a decent one you have what is most likely the highest quality gaming monitor currently in production. Only a high end crt like the Sony GDM-FW900 would offer any real competition in overall image quality. Yeah some monitors might have higher resolution and pixel density or even smoother motion but this will slaughter them in contrast ratio and black levels and depending on the display colors as well all of which are very important in how good a display looks.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TDuiker

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@TDuiker said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@TDuiker said:

@horgen said:

16ms = 1 frame... 1 frame out of 60 frames in 1 second... You won't notice a thing.

17ms is from a IPS and the 13ms is from a TN 120hz panel.

The lowest input lag on that graph is 3.2ms... That's a IPS panel by the way.

http://www.displaylag.com/exposed-input-lag-vs-response-time/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ97Ni4Hb3c

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@TDuiker said:

@04dcarraher said:

My KDS rad-9 blows away my IPS panel. (LG ips 236-v) and its a TN panel. Not all IPS screens are good. You need to drop a chunk of change to find a decent one

MillCityMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MillCityMadman
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

You just can't go wrong with the Qnix 27" 2560X1440 120hz+ Overclockable monitors. Bare bones, no fluff or extras, but the absolute best quality/price ratio. Sure there are better WQHD panels, but they are all $600+

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

I wish people would really stop believing this.

It depends on MODEL and BRAND. I've seen good TN panels that look better than an IPS monitor, and vice-versa.

For gaming you don't need to go IPS if you don't want to. IPS is needed for things like Photoshop and Video Editing mostly.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere

Does anyone else have any other recommendations for monitors? I'm considering the PB238Q. The VA monitors sound cool, but the lack of HDMI ports makes them less then ideal for my setup.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TDuiker

I myself am getting a VG248QE but that wouldnt probably interest you. 24" 1080P TN 144Hz 1ms.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DJ_Headshot

@JangoWuzHere said:

Does anyone else have any other recommendations for monitors? I'm considering the PB238Q. The VA monitors sound cool, but the lack of HDMI ports makes them less then ideal for my setup.

You could always use a HDMI to DVI cable since my graphics card only has one dvi port needed this to be able to connect both of my displays at once since they both use DVI.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JangoWuzHere
@DJ_Headshot said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

You could always use a HDMI to DVI cable since my graphics card only has one dvi port needed this to be able to connect both of my displays at once since they both use DVI.

I actually do all my gaming on my my monitor, so I have all my consoles hooked up to the HDMI port. I use my PC for the DVI port.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I just picked up this monitor. Asus VG248QE. I thought about an IPS monitor but I wanted the 1ms response time for gaming, as well as the 3d capability so when I pick up Nvidia 3d vision it would be supported by my monitor. For the price of the monitor and the features it came with it was rather hard to pass up.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TDuiker

@ferrari2001 said:

I just picked up this monitor. Asus VG248QE. I thought about an IPS monitor but I wanted the 1ms response time for gaming, as well as the 3d capability so when I pick up Nvidia 3d vision it would be supported by my monitor. For the price of the monitor and the features it came with it was rather hard to pass up.

I am also planning on getting that monitor, so let me ask you this ; How much do you like it ?

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

Slightly off topic but I use my 51" plasma and home theater setup for PC gaming and it's pretty sweet, but is there a difference vs using a monitor?

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TDuiker

@fatalscorpion said:

Slightly off topic but I use my 51" plasma and home theater setup for PC gaming and it's pretty sweet, but is there a difference vs using a monitor?

1080P on 51" vs 1080P on say 24" ..response time .. i suppose if you want to look pretty you can slap on a bunch of antialiasing.. but seriously do you game from your couch or something .. ?!?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@TDuiker said:

@fatalscorpion said:

1080P on 51" vs 1080P on say 24" ..response time .. i suppose if you want to look pretty you can slap on a bunch of antialiasing.. but seriously do you game from your couch or something .. ?!?

I hooked up my 42" Panasonic once to play Crysis 3 and due to it being a plasma it was a better visual experience than my IPS panel... That being said I was 3 feet away and can't imagine using it as a daily driver.

If its 50" 1080p no way in hell you can use that daily on a desk like you would a monitor... Well at least I couldn't and that was a 42" TV.

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

@TDuiker:

Oh, well I don't think I'll really care about response time, and yes haha! It's very comfortable!

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Yeah I mainly use it for daily use. It's a little difficult with games like Warface and other FPS but it's a breeze with RPG's. I use a Logitech M570 thumb trackball style mouse so it doesn't really matter where I control it from.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ferrari2001

@TDuiker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

I am also planning on getting that monitor, so let me ask you this ; How much do you like it ?

It comes in the mail tomorrow, so I don't even have it in possession yet. I'll let you know tomorrow though.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@fatalscorpion: I've been using a 42" with my PC for a couple of years, and I love it. I could never see going back to my little 23" monitor...

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DJ_Headshot

@superclocked said:

@fatalscorpion: I've been using a 42" with my PC for a couple of years, and I love it. I could never see going back to my little 23" monitor...

I used a 32" T.V as a monitor wall mounted on the wall in front of my desk for 4 years and honestly thought I could never go back to a smaller monitor after using that. When I bought the BenQ GW2450 I was worried I would find a 24" monitor way to small coming from a 32" display and would have trouble adjusting but surprisingly I had no problems at all getting used to it.I have it closer up then my 32" so it negates the size difference and the extra sharpness due to higher ppi is nice and not needing to use my glasses to be able to read text comfortably is a nice bonus.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ferrari2001

@TDuiker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Finally got my monitor set up. After adjusting the brightness and color settings I gotta say, the monitor looks fantastic. It can also get incredibly bright. I had to turn the brightness down to like 20, although I'd imagine if I ever start using the 3d functionality I'll have to crank that up to get a bright picture. The display looks fantastic, and the monitor itself is also really sleek. It's bigger than I was expecting but so far it performs really well. I'm also use the built in speakers since I don't have any and they to are surprisingly good to. The monitor has a huge variety of movement so you can adjust it to the perfect angle. Great investment I think.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TDuiker

@ferrari2001 said:

@TDuiker said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Finally got my monitor set up. After adjusting the brightness and color settings I gotta say, the monitor looks fantastic. It can also get incredibly bright. I had to turn the brightness down to like 20, although I'd imagine if I ever start using the 3d functionality I'll have to crank that up to get a bright picture. The display looks fantastic, and the monitor itself is also really sleek. It's bigger than I was expecting but so far it performs really well. I'm also use the built in speakers since I don't have any and they to are surprisingly good to. The monitor has a huge variety of movement so you can adjust it to the perfect angle. Great investment I think.

I got a vesa mount for the wall, and a vesa mount for the desk. si i got all the mobility i need in that respect ;) and thnx.