Upgrading my computer help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts

Okaaaay.

So.

I have a MS Windows XP Home SP3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512MB RAM, RADEON X300 Series.

145GB HDD and I just bought a 2TB USB 3.0 external HDD.

My computer doesn't run as smoothly as it used to. It crashes a lot too and slows down quite a bit when more than one program is open at the same time.

It's about 5 or 6 years old now. It also takes about 3-5 minutes just to boot.

Besides buying more RAM, what else could I do to speed up my computer?

I've already done things I've read online, like uninstalling unused programs, disabling unused hardware (like my floppy drive), have an antivirus and whatnot.

Thanks. Oh I know this board is for pc games... but I couldn't seem to figure out where to post this.

I don't plan on buying another computer if this computer can be upgraded to run faster (I'm content with Windows XP... don't want Vista or Windows 7).

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

Is this a store bought computer like an HP or Compaq or Dell or is it a custom build that someone else built for you? That really matters as it decides on what you can or cannot install in it. More than likely, there is no new hardware (like a CPU) that you can use with your current hardware, you will have to buy outdated hardware that works with your motherboard.

You can make your PC seem better by saving all your important documents, pictures, videos, downloads or other files like saved game files on the other drive. You then take and do a complete reinstall of XP over your current install, this wipes all the old stuff off the hard drive and creates a new registry without all the old junk in the registry, that will speed up your PC.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

Okaaaay.

So.

I have a MS Windows XP Home SP3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512MB RAM, RADEON X300 Series.

145GB HDD and I just bought a 2TB USB 3.0 external HDD.

My computer doesn't run as smoothly as it used to. It crashes a lot too and slows down quite a bit when more than one program is open at the same time.

It's about 5 or 6 years old now. It also takes about 3-5 minutes just to boot.

Besides buying more RAM, what else could I do to speed up my computer?

I've already done things I've read online, like uninstalling unused programs, disabling unused hardware (like my floppy drive), have an antivirus and whatnot.

Thanks. Oh I know this board is for pc games... but I couldn't seem to figure out where to post this.

I don't plan on buying another computer if this computer can be upgraded to run faster (I'm content with Windows XP... don't want Vista or Windows 7).

fmacraze

well for one you have a really slow gpu id upgrade that, id also get a new 775 motherboard move your pentium D over and get 2gb ddr2. those would probably help significantly. however the new board if done would require you to have the windows xp cd (the cd is required in this case an ISO will do diddly all for you) as you need to preform an automated system repair which is done prior to your pc loading windows.

in total im thinking 40(mobo) + 35(ram) + 90(gpu) should be a really nice upgrade. itd fix most of what causing your crashing and eliminate slowdowns.

here we go what im talking about:

msi, 775, ddr3 motherboard($60):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130306

corsair, 2gb ddr3 ($20):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145246

XFX hd 6670($84):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150542

total:

$164

tada you are now poised to go extreme up in here and if you really wanted to you could toss that old pentium 4 for a few dollars more and move into a dual core cpu:

intel pentium dual-core e5700 3.0ghz $65:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6524806&CatId=2851

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5KfVwCn5uM&feature=related

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ionusX

Is this a store bought computer like an HP or Compaq or Dell or is it a custom build that someone else built for you? That really matters as it decides on what you can or cannot install in it. More than likely, there is no new hardware (like a CPU) that you can use with your current hardware, you will have to buy outdated hardware that works with your motherboard.

You can make your PC seem better by saving all your important documents, pictures, videos, downloads or other files like saved game files on the other drive. You then take and do a complete reinstall of XP over your current install, this wipes all the old stuff off the hard drive and creates a new registry without all the old junk in the registry, that will speed up your PC.

WhiteKnight77

hes been fine up to this point running what he wants to. hes not out to try and play say bf3 lol. he jsut needs some sprucing up to make it shine like new. you ca do that without a core 2 duo :P

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fmacraze
I'm a complete noob when it pretty much everything you guys recommended... Can I get an idea on prices and what to look for?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ionusX

I'm a complete noob when it pretty much everything you guys recommended... Can I get an idea on prices and what to look for? fmacraze

see my links for a very basic idea of what to look for. granted if you wanted to spend a little more say 75-100 dollars more we could up the ante and get you a nice quad core cpu instead.

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fmacraze

[QUOTE="fmacraze"]I'm a complete noob when it pretty much everything you guys recommended... Can I get an idea on prices and what to look for? ionusX

see my links for a very basic idea of what to look for. granted if you wanted to spend a little more say 75-100 dollars more we could up the ante and get you a nice quad core cpu instead.

And sell all the old parts?

Also... what would be the bear minimum that would help improve performance if I dont want to buy everytihng?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="fmacraze"]I'm a complete noob when it pretty much everything you guys recommended... Can I get an idea on prices and what to look for? fmacraze

Also... what would be the bear minimum that would help improve performance if I dont want to buy everytihng?

of course the old parts probably wont get you mcuh say $65 for the everything. so your basically going to end up paying for the gpu.

as a bare minimum id up the ram for 2gb however given that you already ahve a pentium 4 its a bit qestionable. ram came in two standards around that time ddr and ddr2 and which its running is unknown without basically opening up your pc and checking.

fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fmacraze

[QUOTE="fmacraze"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

ionusX

of course the old parts probably wont get you mcuh say $65 for the everything. so your basically going to end up paying for the gpu.

as a bare minimum id up the ram for 2gb however given that you already ahve a pentium 4 its a bit qestionable. ram came in two standards around that time ddr and ddr2 and which its running is unknown without basically opening up your pc and checking.

I found out by looking in a PDF called Owner's Manual that I have a 512MB DDR2 type RAM already in here. MoreInfo

Okay.. so I'll get more RAM. would 4GB be good?
Would you be able to tell me EXACTLY what to get based on that info in the pic up there?

Okay. I'm doing some research right now. How much would a good quad core cpu cost me?