Upgrading graphic card from gtx 275 to gtx 660 ti help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 2uneek4u (2548 posts) -

I got some question to ask before to do upgrade.
1. Do i need to upgrade my mobo?
2. I dont exactly know what mobo i have, How do i check or find out what mobo do i have.
3. Does the gtx 660 ti work on a pci-e 2.0?

#2 Posted by 2uneek4u (2548 posts) -

Edit: You can ignore question 2. I found out my mobo using cpu-z. its a gigabyte EX58-UD4P

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (37403 posts) -
1.No 3.Yes
#4 Posted by 2uneek4u (2548 posts) -

1.No 3.YesMonsieurX
thanks for the quick reply, very help :)

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#5 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6811 posts) -

do not get the 660 ti, it generally sucks major ones compared to the 7950.

#6 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

indeed beyond getting it because "i hate amd" or w/e fanboyism you would like to bring up. in everything but the highest end amd is atm preferred if your talking value for your dollar. especially since drivers are basically the same across both parties. im defining the highest end as the gtx 670, 680 and 690 (dual-gpu). i guess if you wanted a lower end the gt640 wouldnt be a bad alternative to the hd 6670

#7 Posted by JonChaoZ (297 posts) -

indeed beyond getting it because "i hate amd" or w/e fanboyism you would like to bring up. in everything but the highest end amd is atm preferred if your talking value for your dollar. especially since drivers are basically the same across both parties. im defining the highest end as the gtx 670, 680 and 690 (dual-gpu). i guess if you wanted a lower end the gt640 wouldnt be a bad alternative to the hd 6670

ionusX

I think the 660ti handles higher resolutions better than the 7950, and if PhysX is important to you, well, there's that. But I think it comes down to the game. They're both about the same price/performance, depends on the version you get.

I personally have bad luck with AMD drivers but maybe it's just me.

#8 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

gET A hd 7850 INSTEAD

PS: Physx is literally just a bunch of diarrhea flying around. It's really not worth it. Besides you can get Fizz-Ecks on AMD cards

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (37403 posts) -

gET A hd 7850 INSTEAD

PS: Physx is literally just a bunch of diarrhea flying around. It's really not worth it. Besides you can get Fizz-Ecks on AMD cards

ClassicRockFTW

Like your posts usually :lol:

But PhysX is a nice +

#10 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

gET A hd 7850 INSTEAD

MonsieurX

But PhysX is a nice +

>Has a strange obsession with me and my posts

>Might need to get an E-restraining order

#11 Posted by MonsieurX (37403 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

gET A hd 7850 INSTEAD

ClassicRockFTW

But PhysX is a nice +

E-restraining order :lol: Why would I stop following a nice source of lolz?
#12 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (1106 posts) -

[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Like your posts usually :lol:

But PhysX is a nice +

MonsieurX

>Stalker

#13 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

JonChaoZ

I think the 660ti handles higher resolutions better than the 7950, and if PhysX is important to you, well, there's that. But I think it comes down to the game. They're both about the same price/performance, depends on the version you get.

I'd personally pick a normal 660, double the fps of the 275 and way cheaper than the 660ti. Not much slower either.
#14 Posted by MonsieurX (37403 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

ClassicRockFTW

>Stalker

Yes,great game!
#15 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6811 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

JonChaoZ

Its the opposite actually. The 7950 really pulls away at higher resolutions. At 1080p the 7950 is also clearly faster.

#16 Posted by 04dcarraher (22947 posts) -

[QUOTE="JonChaoZ"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

blaznwiipspman1

Its the opposite actually. The 7950 really pulls away at higher resolutions. At 1080p the 7950 is also clearly faster.

At 1080 their virtually the same if you base off of 310.70 vs 12.11 drivers with 306.23 vs 12.11 the gtx 660ti is only 4% slower on average.

#17 Posted by JonChaoZ (297 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="JonChaoZ"]

04dcarraher

At 1080 their virtually the same if you base off of 310.70 vs 12.11 drivers with 306.23 vs 12.11 the gtx 660ti is only 4% slower on average.

Ahhh, well I was close. Personally I never buy the newest line up for Nvidia. I always go one gen back. In this case, a GTX 570 will now cost you as much as a 660, but perform almost as good as a 660ti. Just needs a little more juice than the two.
#18 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5013 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

JonChaoZ

It's the other way around. The 7950 is better if you game at over 1080p but at 1080p their almost identical performance wise.
#19 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

JonChaoZ

Ahhh, well I was close. Personally I never buy the newest line up for Nvidia. I always go one gen back. In this case, a GTX 570 will now cost you as much as a 660, but perform almost as good as a 660ti. Just needs a little more juice than the two.

660 is cheaper, faster and uses less power than the 570...
#20 Posted by Xiumph (109 posts) -

blaznwiipspman1

Oh yeah deffinitely buying the 660ti was my worst mistake (NOT!) dont mind that narrow minded poster, the card is amazing. The big difference with the 7950 is the bandwidth everything else is not drastic.

#21 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5013 posts) -

Xiumph

Oh yeah deffinitely buying the 660ti was my worst mistake (NOT!) dont mind that narrow minded poster, the card is amazing. The big difference with the 7950 is the bandwidth everything else is not drastic.

No doubt the 660Ti is a great card, but why buy an inferior card for around the same price as a card that is superior to it? That would make no sense.
#22 Posted by 04dcarraher (22947 posts) -

[QUOTE="Xiumph"]

Toxic-Seahorse

No doubt the 660Ti is a great card, but why buy an inferior card for around the same price as a card that is superior to it? That would make no sense.

it does make sense if you want certain features.

#23 Posted by Xiumph (109 posts) -

I think some 660's are built better quality wise. Thats just my opinion and im willing to shell out a little more money for that.

#24 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5013 posts) -

I think some 660's are built better quality wise. Thats just my opinion and im willing to shell out a little more money for that.

Xiumph
So you bought a card based on an opinion not backed up by facts? That doesn't make much sense.
#25 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6811 posts) -

Xiumph

Not to mention the over clocking headroom for the 7950 that puts it ahead of a stock 680gtx

#26 Posted by 04dcarraher (22947 posts) -

[QUOTE="Xiumph"]

blaznwiipspman1

Not to mention the over clocking headroom for the 7950 that puts it ahead of a stock 680gtx

Not quite true, you would need the 7950 to be beyond 1.2 ghz to even come close.

With up to date drivers it takes a ghz edition 7970 to break away from a normal GTX 670 by about 10% difference now, and with standard 7970 only 4% faster on average.The GTX 680 and ghz 7970 are pretty much tied again with many games.