Upgrading from GTX 460 1GB

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blkmagickid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blkmagickid
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

So I'm about to build a new rig and I currently have some crap old HP in which I put a GTX460 and better power supply. I was thinking about still using the 460 since it handles most of what I play (Skyrim, GW2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Hawken) just fine on med/high - high settings, but upgrading would be nice. Was debating between the GTX 660 and the 760 (Or the Ti's if those are worth it). I'm willing to spend up to 250 but if I could get it for less I'd like that. This is primarily going to be a gaming machine and I am likely to throw another card in later, also likely to overclock, but not right away. I also want this build to last me for a LONG while. Between the 660 and the 760, which upgrade is more worth it from both a graphical upgrade and cost perspective? Does either one have better life? I'm open to other ideas too, but I've had pretty good luck with Nvidia so far so I'm inclined to stay with them.

Other Relevant stats:

Processor- Intel 3570k

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LK

Power Supply - Corsair CS750M

-Don't know what tower I want yet, but it'll likely be a mid size.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Go with EVGA 760 Superclocked.

Worth the extra 50$, it gets to stock 770 performance.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@blkmagickid said:

So I'm about to build a new rig and I currently have some crap old HP in which I put a GTX460 and better power supply. I was thinking about still using the 460 since it handles most of what I play (Skyrim, GW2, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Hawken) just fine on med/high - high settings, but upgrading would be nice. Was debating between the GTX 660 and the 760 (Or the Ti's if those are worth it). I'm willing to spend up to 250 but if I could get it for less I'd like that. This is primarily going to be a gaming machine and I am likely to throw another card in later, also likely to overclock, but not right away. I also want this build to last me for a LONG while. Between the 660 and the 760, which upgrade is more worth it from both a graphical upgrade and cost perspective? Does either one have better life? I'm open to other ideas too, but I've had pretty good luck with Nvidia so far so I'm inclined to stay with them.

Other Relevant stats:

Processor- Intel 3570k

i would get the 760... but get the 4gb version.

4gb is going to pretty much be the standard going forward. there are already several games that use 3gb. titanfall requires 3gb to play on the highest detail setting.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@cyloninside said:

@blkmagickid said:

Other Relevant stats:

Processor- Intel 3570k

i would get the 760... but get the 4gb version.

4gb is going to pretty much be the standard going forward. there are already several games that use 3gb. titanfall requires 3gb to play on the highest detail setting.

The GTX 760 does not have enough behind it to make use of the 4gb effectively. So unless your planning on SLI;ing them its almost pointless to get the 4gb models.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Like Predator said, Superclocked EVGA 760! I have two of them and they overclock very nicely! Plus, 760 is only $50 more then 660. You want it to last you, right? You might want to consider that 660 is last gen..

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

If you want it to last and can wait then you should do so and see what DirectX 12 is all about and the new cards probably coming out around the next quarter.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Definitely 760, it's 256-bit, while 660 is only 192-bit. It becomes important on the highest settings, especially with AA enabled. Another good alternative would be R9 280X 3GB, but only if you could find a good deal for it (it performs similar to GTX 770, so you do the math).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

The 760 is a 670 with less cuda cores, but it's worth the extra over the 660 in my opinion.

blkmagickid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blkmagickid
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Thanks all. I'll probably wait another month or so and try to get a superclocked 760 on sale or see if there's a price drop with new card announcements. And I probably will end up running 2 cards in SLI, but not until summer 2015.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

GTX 760SC would pair up nicely with your system (stock 670/7970 performance is good).