Upgrading for my birthday/Christmas, need help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Hey everyone!

So, I'm upgrading my computer for Christmas and my birthday combined, so I need some help with hardware.

I currently have a Q6600 quad core CPU, 560ti GPU, 6 GB of DDR2 ram, and a 500GB HD.

I'd like to incorporate an i5 or i7 (not completely sure of the difference in performance between the two), a 670 or 680 GTX, 8GB of DDR3, a 1TB HD and an SSD.

My questions are; is it worth it to keep my current PC and upgrade, or would you guys recommend that I just sell my old parts and completely redo it? Will I need a new motherboard if I just choose to upgrade?

I have a 650watt corsair power supply, would that be enough to power what I'm looking for?

Thanks guys! I'll be checking this thread periodically in the next few weeks :)

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
560ti is not a bad card to keep for the time being, a 670 or 7950Ghz would be a nice upgrade though. But I would definatly go for an i5 3570k, they are great CPUs. Get a decent Z77 motherboard, 8GB or 16GB of RAM and enjoy. That PSU will also be enough to power any single GPU rig no problem.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Get a new cpu motherboard and memory, pick up a SSD, a new case, bigger hard drive, and reuse the psu,and gpu and 500gb if you want too keep it as storage. Right now there isnt much out there in terms of games that requires more then a GTX 560ti to run on high/max settings. So I would hold onto that until you actually need to upgrade it..

Some ideas to get you started

i5 3570k

Z77 based motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600mhz+

256GB SSD

Corsair Carbide Series or Coolermaster HAF series Cases

1-2 Tb hard drive.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

nvidia cards suck right now. 560 ti sucks especially.

get a 7950 and don't look back.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

jakes456

i agree

5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

Get a new cpu motherboard and memory, pick up a SSD, a new case, bigger hard drive, and reuse the psu,and gpu and 500gb if you want too keep it as storage. Right now there isnt much out there in terms of games that requires more then a GTX 560ti to run on high/max settings. So I would hold onto that until you actually need to upgrade it..

i5 3570k

Z77 based motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600mhz+

256GB SSD

1-2 Tb hard drive.

04dcarraher

This ^^

Ignore the fanbois above - they are right but at the same time SOOOOO wrong. Yes the 7950/7970 would be the way to go, and i would advise them over other cards on the market at the moment, BUT there is nothing wrong with the 560ti and as pointed out most the games will still be comfortable and would maybe only give a slight NOTICEABLE performance from your 560ti (example 100 FPS compared to 70FPS, most people struggle to tell the difference above 30FPS and is only really bragging rights)

At least wait for the 8000 series cards and if possible the 700s just to make sure you get a decent upgrade, rather than a very slight one

Obiwan_1O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Obiwan_1O
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

i5 3570k

Z77 based motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600mhz+

256GB SSD

1-2 Tb hard drive.

5SI-GonePostal

This ^^

Ignore the fanbois above - they are right but at the same time SOOOOO wrong. Yes the 7950/7970 would be the way to go, and i would advise them over other cards on the market at the moment, BUT there is nothing wrong with the 560ti and as pointed out most the games will still be comfortable and would maybe only give a slight NOTICEABLE performance from your 560ti (example 100 FPS compared to 70FPS, most people struggle to tell the difference above 30FPS and is only really bragging rights)

At least wait for the 8000 series cards and if possible the 700s just to make sure you get a decent upgrade, rather than a very slight one

+1

Nvidia and AMD both have fantastic cards that you cant go wrong with, AMD just have better price/performance. 560ti will do the job for now if you cant afford to change all at once. If you can then either way I would wait just a tad longer till the 8xxx series cards come out as they will at least drop other prices if not be worth getting themselves, and they should be out early next year. If you can't wait then I would personally choose a 7970as its what I have and I love it, plus the value is fantastic with a good price and 3 great games that will push your rig and show some beautiful graphics.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Keep the case (assuming it's a good one), optical drive, and PSU, that PSU especially should be good for many years. You could probably also keep the GPU for now, it's still pretty solid and (in my opinion) should last you until at least the next gen of cards, that said upgrading to a 670 would be a pretty decent upgrade in power. Definitely go for an i5 2500k or 3750k upgrade and coresponding mobo/ram. The Wolfdale CPU's are starting to show their age in modern games.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Thanks guys, My performance running games right now can be choppy at times; is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? I'm also running this rig on a 24 inch monitor, so I'd like to be comfortably running BF3 maxed out or close to it. How much longer is this gen of GPU's going to be at the price they're at before they drop? The problem being I'm not sure the next time I'll be upgrading my computer, it might be some time.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 04dcarraher
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]Thanks guys, My performance running games right now can be choppy at times; is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? I'm also running this rig on a 24 inch monitor, so I'd like to be comfortably running BF3 maxed out or close to it. How much longer is this gen of GPU's going to be at the price they're at before they drop? The problem being I'm not sure the next time I'll be upgrading my computer, it might be some time.

Yes your stock Q6600 at 2.4 ghz is causing your issues, now if that Q6600 was overclocked to 3 ghz then you wouldnt see any real issues. Now with BF3 the mix between your cpu, and the fact your using DDR 2 and unknown graphic settings will cause you issues. Once you get a new cpu/mobo and memory and use your GTX 560ti with the correct setup with your video settings where you dont saturate your video memory you will be able to play BF3 with a mix of high and mostly ultra settings. With a GTX 560ti you will be able to wait until next year before wanting/needing a new gpu and by then prices on current gpu's will drop and their successors will be out.
5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

Thanks guys, My performance running games right now can be choppy at times; is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? I'm also running this rig on a 24 inch monitor, so I'd like to be comfortably running BF3 maxed out or close to it. How much longer is this gen of GPU's going to be at the price they're at before they drop? The problem being I'm not sure the next time I'll be upgrading my computer, it might be some time.chrisrooR

This is prob you CPU as i have a Q9960 and 8gb of decent DDR2 with a 560ti and i can run BF3 on Ultra minus a few bits of highend AA and such with a good 40FPS+ on 64player maps. The size of the monitor isnt the issue but the resolution - i also play on 1080.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

[QUOTE="5SI-GonePostal"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

i5 3570k

Z77 based motherboard

8gb DDR3 1600mhz+

256GB SSD

1-2 Tb hard drive.

Obiwan_1O

This ^^

+1

Nvidia and AMD both have fantastic cards that you cant go wrong with, AMD just have better price/performance. 560ti will do the job for now if you cant afford to change all at once. If you can then either way I would wait just a tad longer till the 8xxx series cards come out as they will at least drop other prices if not be worth getting themselves, and they should be out early next year. If you can't wait then I would personally choose a 7970as its what I have and I love it, plus the value is fantastic with a good price and 3 great games that will push your rig and show some beautiful graphics.

lol clueless the 560 ti won't be able to handle any new games at high settings. the card sucks. nt tho.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 04dcarraher

[QUOTE="Obiwan_1O"]

[QUOTE="5SI-GonePostal"]

This ^^

jakes456

+1

lol clueless the 560 ti won't be able to handle any new games at high settings. the card sucks. nt tho.

stop trolling

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

blaznwiipspman1

i agree

You just quoted a troll, good job.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

My 560 TI has been working incredibly for well over a year now. I really thought about upgrading it but since it's handled everything I throw at it i'm just going to wait until next year cards come. Just figured I would throw my two cents into this.

danxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 danxxx
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts
yes i had a 560ti 2gb version great card i see no reason for a gpu upgrade atm unless your planning on gaming at much highers resolutions.