This topic is locked from further discussion.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

I have an amd fx 6300 and I am trying to figure out what a good step up would be from it. Should I stick to the A3+ socket and keep the mother board or maybe make the jump to intel. I'm trying to keep the budget in the 300 dollar area. I generally like to play rts like the new war hammer and Rome total war.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

Wait for AMD's Zen. It should be a nice choice. If not, Intel chips will jump in core count and drop in price. I'm expecting a price war.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Same CPU in my PC, I'm waiting for Zen to see if it's worth it, if not I'll switch to Intel. Right now 6600K is the best option, but that CPU+MB I think are more than $300. You definitely need to change the motherboard, AM3+ is a dead end.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

I'd wait till Zen and Kaby Lake. You'll have to buy a new motherboard even if you decide to stick with AMD, as Zen will use the new Socket AM4.

It's going to be hard to keep it under $300 if you switch to Intel; even the i5 6600K is ~$240 alone. You could get a non-K for less, but only marginally less for significantly inferior CPUs - especially because you can't overclock them. Another reason to wait for Kaby Lake and Zen; these last generation parts might get price drops once the ones come, and they'll still last you 4-5 years.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

Thanks for the input i figured some price drops should be on the way with all the new stuff coming out.