Upgrade or build a new gaming PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

Hi guys. Finally, after a good long run of 5 years of gaming without problems, I've encountered for the very first time this year that I could not run a game because I do not meet the minimum requirements. That would be Planetside 2, then Metro franchise, and recently, could only play Rome 2 Total on minimal settings and still experience lagfest.

Now... here's where that question comes from. Shall I upgrade my current PC or start from the scratch?

Here are my specs from a Dell XPS 420. 

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

RAM: 8 GB 

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series (3875 or 3880? Not sure)

Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC (Idk? Not sure how to find this out.)

Ok, I think that's all the specs you guys need to know. However, I have a question regarding to the motherboard and the ram. How do you exactly find out what kind of ram is installed into your computer and what motherboard you have?  I just looked up in the Device Manager and not sure where to look in there. 

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts
I think it would be better to make a new PC from scratch, However, if you wish to wait a little longer, you could always overclock the CPU to about 3 GHz and buy a new graphics card (something like a 7850). That is also a solution
JackalJnr23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JackalJnr23
Member since 2005 • 844 Posts
I took the leap recently to build a new PC from scratch. My previous rig held me in good stead for roughly half a dozen years. In the end it was ultimately time to upgrade as I was unable, like yourself to play any of the current demanding games even on minimum settings. I'm glad I made the move. The people here are very knowledgeable and can give you great advice if you decide to buy a new rig within any budget.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If it's a dell chances are you'd need a new power supply to run a new graphics card, and you might need a new case depending on size requirements.

I would suggest building a new PC. That PC will still be fine for non gaming stuff though, so you could try selling it or giving it to a friend/family member.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Start from scratch. You couldn't do much with the Dell.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
Ok, how do you find out what PSU you have? Also, forgot to tell you guys on which part I need to upgrade the most. I need to upgrade the GPU the most. My GPU is the reason why it couldn't launch metro, planetside 2, and could only run on minimum settings on other most technically demanding games and sometimes experience lagfest.