Upgrade Advice Please Help!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yomonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 yomonkey
Member since 2004 • 100 Posts

Hi, I'm planning an upgrade by the end of the year, and I'm trying to find the best bang for my buck. I'm giving myself a budget of about $300-$400.

My specs:

AMD Anthlon II x4 640 3.0ghz

2x Radeon 5770 Crossfire

8gb 1600mhz Ram

Windows 7 64 bit

700 watt psu

I want to replace my 2 5770s with a better single card, but as dated as the 5770 is I think the Anthlon IIs are even more so. Would it be better to spend all three or four hundred dollars on a new GPU or would it make more sense to spend maybe $100 to $200 on a new CPU and then maybe $200-$300 on the GPU. Thoughts?

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

What games do you like to play? If they're mainly GPU-dependent, I'd upgrade the GPU. If you play games that stress the CPU more, I'd upgrade your CPU first. What motherboard do you have? If it's an AM3 board, your options are limited to Phenom II's. If you have an AM3+ board, you can upgrade to a Piledriver CPU.

yomonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yomonkey

My mobo is a standard AM3. Is there any Phenom II that would be a noticible improvement? I've been playing MMO's like Tera Online recently, and those tend to be CPU dependent. Anyway, given that I can only upgrade to a phenom II, would I be better off just spending my entire budget on a GTX 670 or something?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 7235 Posts

yeah, those new AMD pile driver cpus are not a bad choice at all. The 5770's try and sell for $60 each and then get a better video card like the 7850/7870 or maybe the 660.

godlikemouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 godlikemouse
Member since 2003 • 91 Posts

When building a gaming rig your 2 main bottle neck points are going to be the obvious one your graphics card and second one your ram. If I were you and I didn't have enough money to get away from a traditional fsb like you're running now, I'd first max out my ram. Next I'd overclock the cpu and replace the graphics cards with another crossfire configuration, one with faster specs and more memory. Shared processing power between 2 cards will almost always be faster than a single fat card. Now if you're willing to spend a bit more, the prime approach would be to replace your motherboard with an I7 which will get rid of the fsb altogether giving you amazing ram access speeds, then max out the ram, then do another crossfire setup. Just my 2 cents.

My rig specs:

8 core I7 overclocked

32 gb ram

Dual nvidia 2gb sli video

1.5 tb raid ssd

Lightening fast system

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25760 Posts

When building a gaming rig your 2 main bottle neck points are going to be the obvious one your graphics card and second one your ram. If I were you and I didn't have enough money to get away from a traditional fsb like you're running now, I'd first max out my ram. Next I'd overclock the cpu and replace the graphics cards with another crossfire configuration, one with faster specs and more memory. Shared processing power between 2 cards will almost always be faster than a single fat card. Now if you're willing to spend a bit more, the prime approach would be to replace your motherboard with an I7 which will get rid of the fsb altogether giving you amazing ram access speeds, then max out the ram, then do another crossfire setup. Just my 2 cents.

My rig specs:

8 core I7 overclocked

32 gb ram

1.5 tb raid ssd

Lightening fast system

godlikemouse

LOL 32gb ram bwahahaahaha

tumblr_mcekylYtbF1rx8l4do1_500.gif

unless you running photoshop professionally for w/e reason or are operating a high traffic server of one form or another 32gb ram is irrelevant (or your running like 16 virtual machines simultaneously) if your gaming 8-10 is about the most ANYONE should own. as after 12 your preformance goes DOWN

not by much but in real games your fps can drop anywhere from .03 - .8 fps on average and adding more ram only gets worse. the highest ive seen benched under such circumstances is 16 where you were losing whole single digit fps. LORD KNOWS what 32 gb ram is doing to you

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hartsickdiscipl

My rig specs:

8 core I7 overclocked

32 gb ram

1.5 tb raid ssd

Lightening fast system

godlikemouse

32GB of RAM is useless for gaming. Completely useless. Anything over 8GB is total overkill for a rig used primarily for gaming. 16GB if you want to "futureproof." There will be literally 0 to 5 percent difference in gaming and everyday performance between a system with 8GB and 32GB of RAM right now.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I've heard you can even lose some FPS in games when you have so much RAM, but i could be wrong.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ionusX

I've heard you can even lose some FPS in games when you have so much RAM, but i could be wrong.

BattleSpectre

memory_capacity-03.png

its not always true but it does happen. 90% of the time there either isnt a different or going from 12 gb from 6gb adds .1fps more or take 0.3-to-1.0 fps away

memory_capacity-08.png

yomonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yomonkey

Well, as much as I would like to, I can't upgrade my mobo without buying a new copy of windows. When I built this computer several years ago I used a windows 7 system builder, which locks the key to the mobo. So I'm sticking with my AM3 board for now. In the future if I upgrade to windows 8 (it looks stupid though), I may at that time replace the mobo and go for an i7 setup or maybe an AM3+ setup. So I think I just going to go for the beefiest GPU I can get for the money ($300-$400). Want I still really want to know is if there is a standand AM3 socket CPU that I could get that would be dramatically better than my anthlon II x4 640 3.0ghz. Does anyone know?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ionusX

Well, as much as I would like to, I can't upgrade my mobo without buying a new copy of windows. When I built this computer several years ago I used a windows 7 system builder, which locks the key to the mobo. So I'm sticking with my AM3 board for now. In the future if I upgrade to windows 8 (it looks stupid though), I may at that time replace the mobo and go for an i7 setup or maybe an AM3+ setup. So I think I just going to go for the beefiest GPU I can get for the money ($300-$400). Want I still really want to know is if there is a standand AM3 socket CPU that I could get that would be dramatically better than my anthlon II x4 640 3.0ghz. Does anyone know?

yomonkey

get a phenom II x4 965 and up the multiplier get a 20 dollar freezer 7 pro or hyper 212 series (hyper 212+, hyper evo) cpu fan. oc da sh!t out of it. and thats about the only effective option you have. unless you would like to spend 170 bucks on a phenom II x6 1075t on ebay

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts
1.5TB OF SSD = 3x 480GB SSD and 1x 120GB
godlikemouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 godlikemouse

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information, but the I7 intel chipset removes the frontside bus which is where you'll see those slowdown issues with more RAM. I run my games fullscreen at 1920x1080 and I've never seen the framerate drop below 60FPS, I have however seen the framerate as high as 2500FPS on occasion. The more RAM your machine has (depending on motherboard architecture and CPU), the better your system and programs normally will perform. My loading screens are a blink mainly due to the fact that I have so much memory available for the applications to use, it alleviates the need for going to disc for readily cachable textures, models, etc. secondly due to the SSD raid and CPU. Have a look at the I7 architecture, you'll see what I'm talking about.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ionusX

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information, but the I7 intel chipset removes the frontside bus which is where you'll see those slowdown issues with more RAM. I run my games fullscreen at 1920x1080 and I've never seen the framerate drop below 60FPS, I have however seen the framerate as high as 2500FPS on occasion. The more RAM your machine has (depending on motherboard architecture and CPU), the better your system and programs normally will perform. My loading screens are a blink mainly due to the fact that I have so much memory available for the applications to use, it alleviates the need for going to disc for readily cachable textures, models, etc. secondly due to the SSD raid and CPU. Have a look at the I7 architecture, you'll see what I'm talking about.

godlikemouse

hahahahaha you could yank out 16 and nothing would change.. you could yank out 20gb very little would change.

loading screens are determined more by your hard drive or ssd use. id also like to point out that its impossible (or nye impossible) for you to have that much SSD space as that your require you to not be running any of that in raid. as striping (raid 1) or compiling (raid 0) those drives would stop at 3 drives. and theres no way to yet obtain your ahrd drive space amount on 3 drives.

so marc also has a very good point. im calling shenanigans on you and your build

thank you and good day.

godlikemouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 godlikemouse

I usually don't get into these type of debates, being that hardware and software are what I do for a living. However, I also would hate for you to continue on this path not realizing that your information is quite a bit outdated. So I'll give you the full details and you can look them up yourself.

Check out the Alienware 18x, customize it and you'll see an option for:

1.5TB SSD RAID 0 (3x 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dkdwly1&model_id=alienware-m18x-r2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

And yes, loading of games and applications in general load from the hard drive (that's where long term persistence takes place) however, most modern game engines will take advantage of any and all available RAM. Using it to load textures, models, level geometry, etc if it's available. For more information on this check out the Valve Source engine (free download) or UDK (Unreal Engine) and read through the docs a bit. You can also install a memory profiler and try launching a game to get a better idea of what's going on. No hard feelings, just trying to help.

cleet123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cleet123
Member since 2004 • 57 Posts

Hi there long time member looking for advice

My current rig is

Case HAF 922 +2 extra side fans

MOTHERBOARD M4N98TD EVO

RAM 8 gig of ddr3

CPU amd phenomn 695 deneb

GPU bfg gts 250

GPU xfx gts 250 modded with a zalman 2000 heatsink and fan

LSX 750 watt PSU

3 Sata HDD and one IDE HDD

total fans spinning 11

Windows 7 Premuim 64 bit

Reason I'm sharing this is I would like to upgrade my system from its direct x10 limits and I'm open to suggestions I play all kinds of games old and new and I think its just time to change the gpu

I welcome any and all suggestions

Thank you

Skilled_Tactix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Skilled_Tactix
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts
yeah, it seems that way, well i'd really suggest anything from nvidia that ends in a 50 at least, at latest it should be a 4XX nvidia chip, keep an eye out for the gpu memory, i'd say at least a gigabyte is fine for gaming. as all presidential candidates say, i use a 560gtx, and i approve this message.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ionusX

yeah, it seems that way, well i'd really suggest anything from nvidia that ends in a 50 at least, at latest it should be a 4XX nvidia chip, keep an eye out for the gpu memory, i'd say at least a gigabyte is fine for gaming. as all presidential candidates say, i use a 560gtx, and i approve this message.Skilled_Tactix
lol thread necromancy

MonGooS1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonGooS1
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hi guys. I didn't want to make a whole new thread when there was already one sitting here, so I will just ask my question in this one. I wanted to get some opinions before I went ahead and made a decision on my PC upgrade. My Current PC: CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K RAM : Kingston HyperX blu 2x4gb 1600MHz DDR3 GPU : Asus GTX 560 Ti MOBO : Asus Intel P8P67 PSU : Corsair CX500 500W HDD : Seagate 7200 1Tb SDD : OCZ Agility 3 60Gb Case : Cooler Master Elite 370 So I was thinking about just getting an Asus GTX 670 and a Cooler Master Scout 2 case to make it look a bit better. Do you think that would be enough to help keep my PC going with the newer games like Crysis, Bioshock, etc. Or is there anything you guys could recommend? I am willing to spend about $1000. Thanks for the help guys!
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 commander
Member since 2010 • 15381 Posts
[QUOTE="MonGooS1"]Hi guys. I didn't want to make a whole new thread when there was already one sitting here, so I will just ask my question in this one. I wanted to get some opinions before I went ahead and made a decision on my PC upgrade. My Current PC: CPU : Intel Core i5 2500K RAM : Kingston HyperX blu 2x4gb 1600MHz DDR3 GPU : Asus GTX 560 Ti MOBO : Asus Intel P8P67 PSU : Corsair CX500 500W HDD : Seagate 7200 1Tb SDD : OCZ Agility 3 60Gb Case : Cooler Master Elite 370 So I was thinking about just getting an Asus GTX 670 and a Cooler Master Scout 2 case to make it look a bit better. Do you think that would be enough to help keep my PC going with the newer games like Crysis, Bioshock, etc. Or is there anything you guys could recommend? I am willing to spend about $1000. Thanks for the help guys!

If you have a 1000$ to spend, i would sell this pc completely Then buy to ivy bridge, or sandy bridge e because they support pci-e 3.0 I guess it would be possible to buy a sandy bridge e with that kind of money, I mean you would probably still get about 400$ for that pc, maybe even 500$, because it has that 2500k. The i7-3930K (sandy bridge-e) is pretty expensive( 580)-, but it's a 6 core cpu. You still have 900$ left to build the rest of your system, Deduct another 370 for the gtx 670. and you have about 530 left. About 200$ for the motherboard. 200$ for case and psu. Then you have still 130$ left for ram, and harddrive which should be enough, i mean you could always buy an ssd later Ivy bridge is much cheaper and also support pcie 3.0 but that isn't really an upgrade of your i5-2500k, it's actually slower (not much though) and it runs hotter, it does use less power though. Off course just upgrading to a gtx 670 will be sufficient, allthough crysis 3 requirements can be pretty steep, if you look at crysis 1&2, I mean that gtx 670 would be just enough to run crysis 2 at max settings at 1080p, or actually just not enough. Maybe go for the gtx 680? Or sli that gtx 560ti, you will need another psu though, and you risk having no drivers for crysis 3 for that sli setup. choices, choices...
MonGooS1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonGooS1
Can my MOBO do SLI? What about just buying 2 GTX 670's and a new PSU?
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commander
Member since 2010 • 15381 Posts
Can my MOBO do SLI? What about just buying 2 GTX 670's and a new PSU? MonGooS1
Ah, i can't actually do sli, but sli or crossfire is a bad idea if you want to play games on release, a lot of times they release the drives only weeks later after a game has released. Also that board supports only pci-e 4x and 16x if you crossfire, so you're going to lose too much speed there. If you want to make sure you can play crysis 3 on max settings on 1080p, you're best option is the hd 7970 ghz edition, or the gtx 590 or gtx 690. You can also wait till the game is released and see what the system requirements and benchmarks say.
ishankap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ishankap
use ati graphic card or cooler master power supply
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hartsickdiscipl

TC-  I recommend that you buy a new power supply (650 watts+ w/80+ rating) and a new GPU.  Nothing else in your computer seems to need an upgrade, unless you want a different case too.  

Contrary to what Evildead said, an Ivy Bridge CPU would be a bit faster than your current Sandy Bridge, but not by a large enough margin to be at all worth the upgrade.  A 3570k at 4.2ghz is like a 2500k at 4.4-4.5ghz in most tasks.  

Geforce Titan is set to be officially announced/released next week.  We'll have to see how much it costs, but it would be a hell of an upgrade for you.  A new PSU like the one I described earlier would go well with it.  If you have roughly a $1000 to spend and want max gaming performance, I can't think of a better upgrade.  If that ends up being out of your range, I would wait for the Geforce GTX 700 lineup to be released.  

MonGooS1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MonGooS1
I have been paying close attention to the Titan, but I somehow think it will be out of my range. If it does fall in my range however, will the rest of my system hold up fine with it? Out of curiosity, if I just went and got myself a 670, what kind of performance boost would I get over my current system? I think that is the best plan for now, I will wait for the Titan and see how much it is going to set me back.