Underrated Game : Freelancer with video

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Swizzer-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Swizzer-J
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts

I've always felt that Freelancer was an underrated game, because to me it's one of the best action based games, and is one of the only games that reminds me of super metroid's exploration.

Here's a video I made introducting / providing the strategy you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVtCfrL3Z48

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Freelancer is one of my favourite games of all time, but I never ever got around to understanding the right weapons to use against different enemies. I always go for what deals the most damage, and it works good enough. As the video said missles cost money and I find them to be quite useless, however some mods make missle play extremely fun. They shoot off really fast, arc like real missles, and are quite accurate. When you get into a big firefight and you have 20 misslies flying everywhere it's much more impressive than the vanilla gun battles.

Anyway, nice video. Suited towards pre-game players, rather than people who have already started, since most of that stuff is explained within the first mission.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

I didn't think Freelancer was underrated. It's just old and its time has passed. M$ closed down the servers too.

Great game though. Too bad I didn't get to play it when there were a lot of people on.

Erik729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Erik729
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts

Never played online...didn't even know there was online, actually. But I really thoroughly enjoy this game, lots of fun.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
There are still unofficial servers online...actually there are plenty of them for a game this old. I was just playing on one of them a month back and some of the servers were hosting about 20-60 players during peak hours.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DigitalExile

Never played online...didn't even know there was online, actually. But I really thoroughly enjoy this game, lots of fun.

Erik729

I personally didn't like online too much. To be honest, it was just more of the singleplayer. That's not bad in itelf unless you went online looking for a different experience. On some servers is was okay working together to earn millions and million to buy Gunships and Battlecruisers, but ultimately unrewqarding as they had some issues. These days those issues are all sorted out (ghost docking ring and what not) but the gameplay (after a few years of playing it on and off) has become old.

Swizzer-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Swizzer-J
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts

I felt the game had great potential, it just needed some more mechanics in terms of gameplay. The online is pretty weak, don't even know why it's in the game.

If they made this style of game in to an MMORPG, I think this kind of thing would be more popular that e.v.e ( captain of slow space games ). But comparing action to mmorpg is tough, i just hope to see more action MMORPGs one day.

mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
One of my all time favourite games, a shame it was overlooked by many people and never got a sequel it deserved, possibly because it's a space sim and those have a rep of being on the complex side, but Freelancer works pretty much like an FPS/RPG so it should be easy to get into, and it's still quite playable after all these years so I recommend giving it a try if you haven't yet.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DigitalExile

I felt the game had great potential, it just needed some more mechanics in terms of gameplay. The online is pretty weak, don't even know why it's in the game.

If they made this style of game in to an MMORPG, I think this kind of thing would be more popular that e.v.e ( captain of slow space games ). But comparing action to mmorpg is tough, i just hope to see more action MMORPGs one day.

Swizzer-J

Actualy I disagree. The reason I loved it was because it was a simple fun adventure game, not some complicated space, economic simulator with a mile long list of abiltiies to upgrade and develop. I wouldn't have minded some more complex combat, in terms of movement (such as rolling) and perhaps giving the ships more outlined roles (for example for most of the game any cargo ship can act as a heavy fighter), as well as implementing gunship and capital ship control (and random encounters) from the get-go. And possibly even some wing-men and actually joining a faction. I know the game is called "Freelancer" but I didn't like not being part of a faction and always flying alone, plus it's the only game I know of where encounters with certain enemies (or turning on friendlies) can dynamically change gameplay. For example shoot a liberty fighter (or a lot of them) and then be able to land on a pirate base that was only minutes earlier closed to you.

So, in short, it had the right amount of "RPG" and adventure elements without going overboard, but it could have also expanded in some other areas. Oh well, a great game never the less.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Yeah Freelancer was a good game - deserved a sequel or a prequel

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DigitalExile

Yeah Freelancer was a good game - deserved a sequel or a prequel

Fandangle

Apprantly they (Microsoft?) had a tech demo for a possible Xbox game. You can find some videos on Youtube.

I'd have loved a game set duing the Rhienland-GMG war. :D

WoKeN-Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WoKeN-Snake
Member since 2008 • 92 Posts

Very good game, too bad it wasn't as big of a hit as it should have been.