Ubisoft engineer says M$ & Sony pressuring them 30fps on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Ubisoft engineer says Microsoft & Sony pressuring them 30fps on PC on Guru3D

@TweakTown also

An intersting story was posted at Reddit, basically at a school presentation about game programming a Ubisoft engineer / Game architect slipped a few words he probably should not have told, he stated that they aim for 60 fps but due to "limitations", they have to settle for 30 fps in recent games.

He then implied that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC. Here's a transcript of it all, thanks for harkinsteven for spotting this one:

Original post

Proof : http://i.imgur.com/hBdu5ot.jpg

A lot of things were said during the presentation, there was a Game Architect, an Online Programmer, and a person from HR.

"So what the hell happened with watch dogs?" u/Egg_Slicer

During the presentation, the Online Programmer said that just before they release a game, they have to send a copy to console manufacturers, which then tell them what to keep and what to throw away (sooo yeah Watch Dogs maybe ?).

"30fps vs 60fps" ? everyone

The Game Architect said that they aim for 60 fps but due to "limitations", they have to settle for 30 fps in recent games. He then implied that console makers are pressuring them into doing the same thing on PC.

"Ask how bad the upper/middle management is." u/Ed130_The_Vanguard

The HR rep said that managers are former programmers and can sometimes be interns. But people are always managed by someone who could do their job.

Not asked, but worth mentionning :

The Game Architect said that they try to re-use code as much as possible. So that's maybe what happened with the AI in Watch Dogs which was taken from AC.

"Are you aware of the negative response to the recent decision to lock your games (like AC:Unity) into 30 frames per second? If so, what do you think about that?" u/TwinDragonsOfChaos

I asked this question at the end of the presentation, everyone laughed. The Game Architect said that on consoles, and for this type of game, they have to chose between graphical fidelity and smoothness. He implied that MS is making them lock the framerate on PC too. Then, he smiled, said "But our eyes can't see past 24 fps anyway" and winked at me.

"Then maybe ask about the impact of AI on these APUs in the consoles."

They said they have to use Microsoft's cloud instead of the APU to do the AI in certain games due to hardware limitations.

"You can also ask what is the preferred platform to develop for."

PC, because they have to use specific languages and debuggers for each console and then validate the game with the constructor.

"You should ask them if they get any say in what the PR people are telling us."

They don't. Clearly the two engineers were no peasants, but they were asked questions they could not answer. He only implied that there were hardware limitations all over the place. And his wink when he told me that 24fps was all we needed confirmed that.

"Do people who work for Ubisoft have mobility ? Can they work abroad if they want or change their career path ?" (question from a classmate)

Yes, engineers can become managers and vice-versa, they can also fill openings in other studios, or change teams.

In order to sell their limited by crappy console hardware games, they force the devs not to make the same game superior for the PC...

edit: I guess this was the answer to what revealed 2 hours before this: Ubisoft Digs its Own Grave, Says 30FPS 'Looks Better' than 60FPS

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Yeah. 30fps looks better.....

I think someone should tell dice we need BF5 at 30fps because it looks better. If only we'd found this out ages ago!

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

but how can microsoft and sony really enforce this rule? and this wouldn't go down well with nvidia and amd, both of which stand to benefit from fps wars, as it draws attention and sales to their pc hardware.

could microsoft or sony really pressure ubisoft into limiting the pc version's framerate? surely ubisoft has ways around it, legally or otherwise. on the other hand, they did nerf the pc version of watch dogs so who really knows about the extent of their lies and deception? i think it's ubisoft trying to cover their own hide.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Coseniath
@klunt_bumskrint said:

I think someone should tell dice we need BF5 at 30fps because it looks better. If only we'd found this out ages ago!

I think Microsoft should apply a hidden windows patch limiting any activity to 30FPS (such DirectX and Mantle). So we can all enjoy this FPS sensation.

30FPS haters will say the opposite!

edit:

@Kh1ndjal said:
i think it's ubisoft trying to cover their own hide.

That's what I thought in the begining too. But this also answers The Evil Within 30FPS... So I wouldn't 100% say that the Ubisoft Engineer was lying.

ps: This also answers the huge change of watchdogs from 2012 E3 to what we have today...

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I liked the competition back then when it was actually about being better than the others. Bring out the best games, try to get the best out of a system.

Now it is all about taking away from others. Timed exclusives, lowering res and/or fps on other systems, forcing to release on a specific platform day1 or do not release at all etc., they are mainly about hurting the others right now while the quality of exclusives sinks down more and more. I can easely count several exclusives I hated on my Ps4, but I have a hard time searching for the same amount I enjoyed.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

I liked the competition back then when it was actually about being better than the others. Bring out the best games, try to get the best out of a system.

Your spot on it seems to be the complete opposite today.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-579f651eab962

Right that does it. 30fps cap with afterburner going on!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ArchoNils2

@thehig1 said:

@ArchoNils2 said:

I am sorry I don't really understand what you mean. Can you explain it please?

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Time to return the 144hz monitor for a refund and tell them that I want a superior 30hz monitor.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts
@ArchoNils2 said:

@thehig1 said:

@ArchoNils2 said:

He's saying that back in the day competition was more about making a better product but now it's just about hurting the other companies and their product...this results in nothing good for the consumer.

He's agreeing with you.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I will not buy any game with a 30fps cap.

M$ built the biggest piece of junk ever when the games can't even run in 1080p so I can totally see them pushing for this. I was considering buying one of the new turd consoles when the prices drop but I think I'll pass, I don't want to contribute to bottlenecking gaming.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@Coseniath said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

That's what I thought in the begining too. But this also answers The Evil Within 30FPS... So I wouldn't 100% say that the Ubisoft Engineer was lying.

ps: This also answers the huge change of watchdogs from 2012 E3 to what we have today...

but neither microsoft nor sony can force ubisoft (or the evil within developer) to do that.

it has to be some kind of mutually beneficial agreement like "developer gets larger profits from the console manufacturer if it nerfs the pc version", something that would never be openly said.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

@thehig1 said:

@ArchoNils2 said:

Just agreeing with what you said.

There was a time when competition was about trying to be better than others, however recently the opposite is happening. Less effort on being better than other an more efforts spent on trying to gimp the opposition, Timed Exclusives really annoy me. The money spent on Timed Exclusives could be spent on making games better.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Coseniath
@Kh1ndjal said:

@Coseniath said:
@Kh1ndjal said:

but neither microsoft nor sony can force ubisoft (or the evil within developer) to do that.

it has to be some kind of mutually beneficial agreement like "developer gets larger profits from the console manufacturer if it nerfs the pc version", something that would never be openly said.

I will disagree with the first part. Both M$ and Sony control like 90% of console market.

When a company relies most of its profits from consoles, they will listen to anything their supervisor (Sony and M$) will say.

Sure they could just turn completely and create only PC and Nintendo games but this wouldn't be the right thing to do as Ubisoft.

I completely agree with the second part. Ubisoft might earn more from a console copy than a PC copy....

I think the truth is between these two. We might see an announcement war from these companies blaming each other.

Maybe Sony and Microsoft force them to do it but Ubisoft might wanted this from the begining...

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

This needs to be posted in system wars ;) Consoles really are holding PCs back.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@MlauTheDaft: Yeah I agree. Put this in system wars. I'm on my phone right now or I would. Maybe just copy / paste and credit the TC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

Just tried BF4 with a 30fps cap.

Looks better and Cinematic.....not so much.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArchoNils2

@thehig1 said:

@ArchoNils2 said:

@thehig1 said:

@ArchoNils2 said:

Just agreeing with what you said.

There was a time when competition was about trying to be better than others, however recently the opposite is happening. Less effort on being better than other an more efforts spent on trying to gimp the opposition, Timed Exclusives really annoy me. The money spent on Timed Exclusives could be spent on making games better.

Oh I see, thanks for explaining it :)

I agree with you. Spending money to add ssomething is always better than spending money to take away from others

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#19 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

so they want pc games to run crap 30 fps so their consoles don't look so weak. fck sony and microsoft

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This is partly why I no longer touch Ubisoft's games. Screw their attitude (also FU Sony & M$), I certainly don't need them, but they CERTAINLY need us.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Consoles holding PC's back? Alert the fucking press why don't you?...

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This sounds like bullshit to me.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

since i found out the cinematic feel of 30fps i now limit my fps to 30fps. Hell when i want that extra cinematic feel i even lock my frame rate at 24fps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@adamosmakiI tried the 30fps cap but I must of done something wrong because it looked bloody terrible.

anthonyBA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anthonyBA
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I hope they finally realize we need 900p limitation for PC as well!

1080p is just too much you can't even see all the pixels!

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Coseniath

@klunt_bumskrint: Back in 1997, the best graphics someone could find was in the battles of Final Fantasy 7. They had 15FPS cap :D.

Try 15FPS might be even better. xD

@digitm64 said:

Time to return the 144hz monitor for a refund and tell them that I want a superior 30hz monitor.

Hahaha, I imagine the scene going actually to the store and talking about 30hz superiority. xD

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@anthonyba said:

I hope they finally realize we need 900p limitation for PC as well!

1080p is just too much you can't even see all the pixels!

not only that we also need a lot of screen tearing and no anisotropic filtering destroying the intended look of textures

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-579f651eab962

Get rid of Hardware T 'n' L and perspective corrective textures..

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Coseniath
@klunt_bumskrint said:

Get rid of Hardware T 'n' L and perspective corrective textures..

Haha, Transform and Lighting effects! I remember this was tech from the 1st Geforces. Games back then had minimum requirements of "Hardware TnL".

You are right, we must disable these too!

edit: Meanwhile PC market is dying: Intel Sold Over 100 Million CPUs In Q3 2014, Record Revenue

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Console makers don't want their shitty hardware exposed? Say it ain't so!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

@Coseniath: I remember when I got my first card with T & L I think must of been the Geforce 2 GTS, not sure my memory is old and rusty.

EDIT: Poor Intel :(

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Aw yi

I'm all about simulating poor people on pc.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Coseniath

@MlauTheDaft, @GoldenElementXL: I just noticed it. Feel free to post it at SW forum if you like. I just posted it here cause these are news that PC users should know...

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Someone post this in SW, it'll explode ;p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

I don't venture into SW. It's a scary void with lots of monsters, trolls, and demons chanting words like 900p and 30fps. I don't understand these under worldly terms :O

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

All these horrible port jobs just amount up to one thing for me. Games not purchased. When they don't take the time to use the hardware at hand even slightly over the console versions I generally say screw it.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Coseniath
@klunt_bumskrint said:

I don't venture into SW. It's a scary void with lots of monsters, trolls, and demons chanting words like 900p and 30fps. I don't understand these under worldly terms :O

Those demons are actually Cyber-trolls that came from the future to provide us trully innovating 30FPS and 900p technology in order to stop the resistance from the future of 4K and 144hz.

@ribstaylor1 said:

All these horrible port jobs just amount up to one thing for me. Games not purchased. When they don't take the time to use the hardware at hand even slightly over the console versions I generally say screw it.

This is the only weapon, consumer has. If the largest by far, market (PC gaming revenue is equal to all console gaming combined) starts to decline those ports, then they will understand that THIS shall not pass.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

@BSC14 said:

M$ built the biggest piece of junk ever when the games can't even run in 1080p so I can totally see them pushing for this. I was considering buying one of the new turd consoles when the prices drop but I think I'll pass, I don't want to contribute to bottlenecking gaming.

Its not like the ps4 is any better. It's still garbage compared to any modern gaming pc.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#40  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

Stop necroing threads. It takes exactly .5 seconds to read the time-stamp on a post.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Damn I used to be edgy back in the day.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I have no idea what I just read. But whatever it was it's filled with guesswork and factual inaccuracies (Unity is not locked to 30 fps on PC). There's no actual quotes for all the bits that are supposed to be making the point this thread is about in the first place.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

These are good examples of why I never buy ubishaft games. Keep on shooting for that least common denominator ubi...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@SamiRDuran said:
@BSC14 said:

Its not like the ps4 is any better. It's still garbage compared to any modern gaming pc.

you necro'd a year old thread for this? >_>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-579f651eab962

@SamiRDuran:

@SerOlmy said:

Stop necroing threads. It takes exactly .5 seconds to read the time-stamp on a post.

^Seriously dude! WTF.

Padlock....AND chain for this one!!