Two options for College, which to choose?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Davyvfr
Member since 2008 • 789 Posts

Ok, so I am going to college this fall and will be needing a laptop. I had two choices or ideas in mind:

First Choice:

Macbook Pro 13" (4GB DDR3, i5 Ivy Bridge, 500GB HDD, Intel HD 4000)

Ipad 3 (16GB)

HP ENVY 110 Printer

Second Choice:

Dell Inspirion 15.6" (i7 Ivy Bridge, 750GB HDD, GT 525m 1GB, 6GB DDR3)

Free Xbox 360 included (4GB)

Insignia 32" LED TV

HP ENVY 110 Printer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The First Choice is slightly more expensive which would allow me to buy a TV with the second choice. I am not doing any gaming or intensive work so any simple laptop will do just fine.

Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
second choice easily
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Macbooks are the best laptops. I wouldn't get a Dell laptop. The screen on a Macbook is the best there is. It's kinda late to get an Xbox with the next one right around the corner.

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Davyvfr

Macbooks are the best laptops. I wouldn't get a Dell laptop. The screen on a Macbook is the best there is. It's kinda late to get an Xbox with the next one right around the corner.

bloodling

Macbooks generally have better build quality, but are out-dated after one year. Also, its really good news a new Xbox is coming out, since those $60 games will drop.

By the way, does anybody think a 32" TV is too big for a dorm room to put on a small desk?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Second one easily.. Better hardware and has an Xbox, allows you to get a TV so it's like everything you need.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bloodling

Macbooks generally have better build quality, but are out-dated after one year. Also, its really good news a new Xbox is coming out, since those $60 games will drop.

By the way, does anybody think a 32" TV is too big for a dorm room to put on a small desk?

Davyvfr

What do you mean, out-dated after one year? Nobody buys a new laptop every year... Even if you plan on playing games on it, next year's macbook won't necessarily be much better for playing games...

Edit: Well, the ultrabooks are going to drop in price, you might want to get one in 2-3 years, which is why you don't want to put a lot of money on a laptop right now unless you play games.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bloodling

I don't understand why those are your only 2 options. There are plenty other options that are much better imo.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bloodling

I'll just throw this out there:

you said you didn't plan on playing games on it, right? Then why not buy a netbook with an external dvd writer? Or a laptop from a better brand but with lower specs like an i3 or i5, which will be much, much cheaper. With the rest of your money you can buy a great HDTV. Maybe you can find a cheaper model that also gives out an Xbox 360.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

The First Choice is slightly more expensive which would allow me to buy a TV with the second choice. I am not doing any gaming or intensive work so any simple laptop will do just fine.

Davyvfr

Why bother paying more for nothing to get an Apple then?

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

Davyvfr

Thats a bit bs on build quality, i have heard just as many issues with macs laterly as pc. If you aren't gaming just walk into to best buy or any store that sells laptop and spend 500-600 on any laptop you like

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

Davyvfr

failurerates.png

JC_Spot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JC_Spot
Member since 2012 • 431 Posts

[QUOTE="Davyvfr"]

[QUOTE="bloodling"]

ronvalencia

failurerates.png

That's why you buy ASUS :cool:

And I love using that graph to own Apple fanboys who always rave on about teh build quality.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="Davyvfr"]

JC_Spot

failurerates.png

That's why you buy ASUS :cool:

And I love using that graph to own Apple fanboys who always rave on about teh build quality.

I'd like to know where that info came from. I don't doubt it whatsoever, as I know from experience (myself and friends) that Apple's claims of build quality are bs. I would just like to know the official merits of the graph.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf
Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Davyvfr

I'll just throw this out there:

you said you didn't plan on playing games on it, right? Then why not buy a netbook with an external dvd writer? Or a laptop from a better brand but with lower specs like an i3 or i5, which will be much, much cheaper. With the rest of your money you can buy a great HDTV. Maybe you can find a cheaper model that also gives out an Xbox 360.

bloodling

The Xbox 360 is a promotional Student Offer. Which means you have to spend $699 or more on a laptop to get the 360. I thought about a netbook but the screens are way to small for my preference, so 13" will be the smallest I will go for a screen size. And as far as buying a better or bigger TV, it will not do me any good since I am living in a dorm and 32" will be the maximum.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bloodling

At that price, might as well go for an ultrabook. Some of them are less than 800 dollars.

When shopping for an HDTV, size isn't the only thing that matters, quality is important as well.

Davyvfr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Davyvfr

At that price, might as well go for an ultrabook. Some of them are less than 800 dollars.

bloodling
Ok, I think I will change it out for an ASUS ultrabook. Generally they have Solid State hard drives so they only come with 128GB of storage (normally).
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
[QUOTE="bloodling"]

Davyvfr
Ok, I think I will change it out for an ASUS ultrabook. Generally they have Solid State hard drives so they only come with 128GB of storage (normally).

Honestly for school 128gb is fine you can always buy an external hdd.
FleXxzoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FleXxzoR
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

If you ask me, get the first choice but I'm just in love with apple

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

$300 netbook.

That's all you need.

If you wanna game, buy a pc or console and a 24" monitor.

Zevante101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zevante101
Member since 2009 • 565 Posts

failurerates.png

ronvalencia

I found this very timely as my HP purchased in May of '09 just blew up. Don't get HP.

JC_Spot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JC_Spot
Member since 2012 • 431 Posts

If you ask me, get the first choice but I'm just in love with apple

FleXxzoR
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I would honestly just buy a cheap $300 laptop for pure word/excel/spreadsheet/internet usage and then get a decent desktop. Reason being is that in classes requiring heavy computer usage in-class, they will provide computers. Plus, if you're taking those kinds of classes (i.e. 3d modeling), you'll want a decent computer that most laptops can't handle well. If you aren't taking computer heavy courses, you shouldn't even be worried about getting an over the top laptop. Just get something with the basics. Also, the xbox isn't right around the corner, you still have plenty of time to enjoy the 360.
thphaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thphaca
Member since 2005 • 202 Posts

I find it funny how college students think an iPad or a cutting edge laptop will boost their productivity when all they'll be doing is surfing facebook or playing Diablo 3. I would know, I watch them from behind. ;) The best gear is found outside of mainstream, it seems.

If you want something useful, get a Lenovo convertible tablet. It's not a gaming PC- though a recent model may not be too shabby in that area- but you'll have far more functionality than an iPad or a standard laptop. It rotates fully into a keyboardless tablet BTW.. It's strange that most pics don't illistrate that.

Edit: Here's a pic for the lazy ones:

lenovo-x220t1.jpg

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

$300 netbook.

That's all you need.

If you wanna game, buy a pc or console and a 24" monitor.

kraken2109
At $300, I would rather look for a sale on a good laptop. I got a good Toshiba laptop for $349 on sale and it stomps all over any netbook out there. Netbooks are pure crap.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Neither. Prioritise the following attributes: Battery-life > weight > size > screen resolution > internal hardware. If you want to play games, either get a desktop, or a second less mobile laptop, or your life will be hell. A console is a valid gaming option as well if you have the room. Personally I would recommend a Sony Vaio SB/SA/Z (depending on budget, ignore GPU), or one of those new ultraportal laptops from Samsung or Lenovo with much cheaper integrated GPUs. Although Macbook Pro 13-inch fits into this category, the price is quite outrageous compared to PC alternatives.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="GhoX"]Neither. Prioritise the following attributes: Battery-life > weight > size > screen resolution > internal hardware. If you want to play games, either get a desktop, or a second less mobile laptop, or your life will be hell. A console is a valid gaming option as well if you have the room. Personally I would recommend a Sony Vaio SB/SA/Z (depending on budget, ignore GPU), or one of those new ultraportal laptops from Samsung or Lenovo with much cheaper integrated GPUs. Although Macbook Pro 13-inch fits into this category, the price is quite outrageous compared to PC alternatives.

Personally, I would put display type above all else, and battery life very close to it. Weight, size aren't that big of a deal as that goes with the display size, type you're seeking for anyways. Even the largest laptops out there are not that heavy.. seriously. But nothing is worse than a crappy display when you're sitting outside and you can't see jack-**** because it has a cheap display. Or you're in a library and the lights are glaring your screen. Because this is a mobility hardware right?
csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

I had a 32" in my dorm freshman year nad I had plenty of space...even a home theater system!

Daanyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Daanyal
Member since 2009 • 773 Posts

I find it funny how college students think an iPad or a cutting edge laptop will boost their productivity when all they'll be doing is surfing facebook or playing Diablo 3. I would know, I watch them from behind. ;) The best gear is found outside of mainstream, it seems.

If you want something useful, get a Lenovo convertible tablet. It's not a gaming PC- though a recent model may not be too shabby in that area- but you'll have far more functionality than an iPad or a standard laptop. It rotates fully into a keyboardless tablet BTW.. It's strange that most pics don't illistrate that.

Edit: Here's a pic for the lazy ones:

lenovo-x220t1.jpg

thphaca

I own a convertible PC, they are very useful for school. I'm typing this on one right now, a Dell Latitude XT3. And before this one, I had a Toshiba Portege M780. If you actually want to boost productivity, get a convertible tablet.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I own a pro 2011 13inches and let me tell you, dont buy into the hype. Get an AZUS PRIME ultra book and be happy.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
At $300, I would rather look for a sale on a good laptop. I got a good Toshiba laptop for $349 on sale and it stomps all over any netbook out there. Netbooks are pure crap.Elann2008
Agreed, especially when it's all too easy to get an HP EliteBook 2730p or Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 for under $300 on eBay these days. Convertible business-class tablets at netbook prices? How could anyone pass that up? [QUOTE="thphaca"]I find it funny how college students think an iPad or a cutting edge laptop will boost their productivity when all they'll be doing is surfing facebook or playing Diablo 3. I would know, I watch them from behind. ;) The best gear is found outside of mainstream, it seems. If you want something useful, get a Lenovo convertible tablet. It's not a gaming PC- though a recent model may not be too shabby in that area- but you'll have far more functionality than an iPad or a standard laptop. It rotates fully into a keyboardless tablet BTW.. It's strange that most pics don't illistrate that.

Convertible ThinkPads are pretty sweet...right up until they ruined the design with the X220t. I'm pretty sore about that, since now that just leaves HP and Fujitsu for decent convertibles with Sandy Bridge. Still, used X200t/X201t models are great buys if you can find one at a good price, and consider yourself really lucky if you ever find an X61t with the 1400x1050 AFFS screen.
Daanyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Daanyal
Member since 2009 • 773 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]At $300, I would rather look for a sale on a good laptop. I got a good Toshiba laptop for $349 on sale and it stomps all over any netbook out there. Netbooks are pure crap.NamelessPlayer
Agreed, especially when it's all too easy to get an HP EliteBook 2730p or Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 for under $300 on eBay these days. Convertible business-class tablets at netbook prices? How could anyone pass that up?
I find it funny how college students think an iPad or a cutting edge laptop will boost their productivity when all they'll be doing is surfing facebook or playing Diablo 3. I would know, I watch them from behind. ;) The best gear is found outside of mainstream, it seems. If you want something useful, get a Lenovo convertible tablet. It's not a gaming PC- though a recent model may not be too shabby in that area- but you'll have far more functionality than an iPad or a standard laptop. It rotates fully into a keyboardless tablet BTW.. It's strange that most pics don't illistrate that.thphaca
Convertible ThinkPads are pretty sweet...right up until they ruined the design with the X220t. I'm pretty sore about that, since now that just leaves HP and Fujitsu for decent convertibles with Sandy Bridge. Still, used X200t/X201t models are great buys if you can find one at a good price, and consider yourself really lucky if you ever find an X61t with the 1400x1050 AFFS screen.

There are Dell, Toshiba, AvaDirect, Asus, Samsung, and soon to be MSI convertible tablets.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I gotta agree with these guys. Never buy anything from Apple, overpriced, overhyped, worthless crap.

I mean seriously? 32" 1080p TV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ipad (never just don't)

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="GhoX"]Neither. Prioritise the following attributes: Battery-life > weight > size > screen resolution > internal hardware. If you want to play games, either get a desktop, or a second less mobile laptop, or your life will be hell. A console is a valid gaming option as well if you have the room. Personally I would recommend a Sony Vaio SB/SA/Z (depending on budget, ignore GPU), or one of those new ultraportal laptops from Samsung or Lenovo with much cheaper integrated GPUs. Although Macbook Pro 13-inch fits into this category, the price is quite outrageous compared to PC alternatives.

Personally, I would put display type above all else, and battery life very close to it. Weight, size aren't that big of a deal as that goes with the display size, type you're seeking for anyways. Even the largest laptops out there are not that heavy.. seriously. But nothing is worse than a crappy display when you're sitting outside and you can't see jack-**** because it has a cheap display. Or you're in a library and the lights are glaring your screen. Because this is a mobility hardware right?

2.5kg can become quite painful after a year compared to 1.5kg. It doesn't feel much when you first get it, but after using it for a long time you will start regretting the weight. High resolution (not screen size) is useful for word processing/graphical editing. "Display type" isn't so important because it's both cheap and easy to get a matte aftermarket anti-glare coating, if one is not already present.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
There are Dell, Toshiba, AvaDirect, Asus, Samsung, and soon to be MSI convertible tablets.Daanyal
Dell's Latitude XT line uses N-trig digitizers, which are less desirable than Wacom Penabled + capacitive, but better than pure capacitive, at least. Unfortunately, the Latitude XT3 also screwed up the screen resolution by going 1366x768. Toshiba's Portege M700/M750/M780 line looks cheap and seems to use a cheap TN LCD panel. Not acceptable when your competition's packing PVA, IPS, and especially AFFS+. Asus hasn't make a convertible I'd consider since the R1f from back in the XP Tablet PC Edition days. The Eee Slate EP121 is worth considering (Wacom Penabled, IPS), but is a pure slate and on the expensive side. Samsung...I haven't seen them make a convertible tablet at all. The Series 7 Slate is pretty nice specs-wise (except for that 1366x768 resolution), but again, a pure slate, not a convertible. MSI...I don't have my hopes up, but maybe they'll surprise me. Maybe. Long story short, HP and Fujitsu aren't the only ones making convertible Tablet PCs by a long shot, but they're the only ones that consistently get it right in my experience to the point where I could pick up a 2760p or T901 and have practically no regrets. Note that I have three main criteria that I look for in a Tablet PC: -Wacom Penabled digitizer, or at least N-trig DuoSense (But I'd prefer Wacom for better Win-Tab API support and the ability to keep using my Axiotron Studio Pen.) -AFFS+, IPS, PLS, PVA, or generally non-TN LCD with excellent viewing angles and outdoor viewability (and minimum 1280x800 resolution in both directions; 1366x768 is worse because it looks even more anorexic and cramped in portrait orientation) -Battery life (Tablet PCs typically struggle with this due to power-hungry x86 hardware, but an HP 2730p with a slice battery can last 8-9 hours. It won't be too much longer before I find out what a Fujitsu T5010 with a battery in the modular bay can do.)