Trying to find Battle For Middle Earth II?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for k41m
#1 Posted by k41m (857 posts) -

Anybody know of any websites selling Battle For Middle Earth 2 for the PC? Prefer a digital download.

Avatar image for ferrari2001
#2 Posted by ferrari2001 (17763 posts) -

Yea, that may be one of the most difficult games to find ever. You can get it on Amazon for like $200, it's absolutely crazy. I'm not sure why EA doesn't offer it for a download or at least for sale. It's like they want people to pirate the game.

Avatar image for Branmuffin316
#3 Posted by Branmuffin316 (1208 posts) -

EA doesn't have the license so they can't sell it anymore.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
#4 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

EA no longer owns the BFME/LOTR licence, so they're not actually allowed to make the game available to buy. But they still own the game itself, so nobody else can take it and re-publish it either. If EA would sell the game rights to whoever currently owns the LOTR licence, then they could re-publish it, but EA hasn't done that, probably because they'd rather nobody makes any money off of it, than let anyone else do it.

I might catch some flak for this, but if you really want to play it, just pirate it. As far as I'm concerned, if a publisher has made it impossible to give them money for their game (through their own actions or inaction), then there's nothing wrong with just taking it. I mean, what's the alternative? Give some jackass on ebay or amazon some insane amount of money, none of which will ever go to the game's publisher or developer, for a used copy that might not even work? Fudge that. You deserve to play that game far more than some guy who bought it years ago deserves $200.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#5 Edited by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

EA no longer owns the BFME/LOTR licence, so they're not actually allowed to make the game available to buy. But they still own the game itself, so nobody else can take it and re-publish it either. If EA would sell the game rights to whoever currently owns the LOTR licence, then they could re-publish it, but EA hasn't done that, probably because they'd rather nobody makes any money off of it, than let anyone else do it.

I might catch some flak for this, but if you really want to play it, just pirate it. As far as I'm concerned, if a publisher has made it impossible to give them money for their game (through their own actions or inaction), then there's nothing wrong with just taking it. I mean, what's the alternative? Give some jackass on ebay or amazon some insane amount of money, none of which will ever go to the game's publisher or developer, for a used copy that might not even work? Fudge that. You deserve to play that game far more than some guy who bought it years ago deserves $200.

Nah, no need to pirate it. You find it on eBay and similar websites.

Avatar image for vfibsux
#6 Posted by vfibsux (4497 posts) -

The way I see it ....if it is no longer available as a retail purchase there is no such thing as pirating.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
#7 Edited by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

Nah, no need to pirate it. You find it on eBay and similar websites.

And pay even more than the game cost new, for a copy in questionable condition, without any of that money even going to the dev/publisher? Yeah, no thanks. Doesn't hurt anybody except amazon and ebay gougers if you pirate it. And I don't think anybody believes that they deserve that money.

@vfibsux said:

The way I see it ....if it is no longer available as a retail purchase there is no such thing as pirating.

Exactly this. The only difference between a game that's not available to purchase and abandonware is a stubborn publisher who would rather not let anyone play the game than make money.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#8 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

@FelipeInside said:

Nah, no need to pirate it. You find it on eBay and similar websites.

And pay even more than the game cost new, for a copy in questionable condition, without any of that money even going to the dev/publisher? Yeah, no thanks. Doesn't hurt anybody except amazon and ebay gougers if you pirate it. And I don't think anybody believes that they deserve that money.

@vfibsux said:

The way I see it ....if it is no longer available as a retail purchase there is no such thing as pirating.

Exactly this. The only difference between a game that's not available to purchase and abandonware is a stubborn publisher who would rather not let anyone play the game than make money.

Oh, I didn't know it was completely off the market.

I was more referring to cheap ebay auctions that you might find, but there's a bigger issue here. If the rights have been removed completely, would the game still activate online? (as in are the servers still up?)

Avatar image for BattleSpectre
#9 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Aye, Thy only way pirating should ever be done, ya scurvy dogs.

Avatar image for krazyorange
#10 Posted by krazyorange (2669 posts) -

Lol there aren't any cheap auctions for BFME 1, 2, or Witch-king. I've been holding on to my physical copies for dear life; not because I want to sell, just because I know if I mess up one of the discs I'm SOL.

I found BFME1 full boxed copy with everything in it for two bucks at a used bookstore. That's really your best bet. Just camp out in stores like that and you'll strike gold eventually.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:

Oh, I didn't know it was completely off the market.

I was more referring to cheap ebay auctions that you might find, but there's a bigger issue here. If the rights have been removed completely, would the game still activate online? (as in are the servers still up?)

Probably not. All the more reason to not spend money on a used copy. If it has any kind of online activation requirement, it probably won't work, so you'd need a crack anyway.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#12 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@krazyorange said:

Lol there aren't any cheap auctions for BFME 1, 2, or Witch-king. I've been holding on to my physical copies for dear life; not because I want to sell, just because I know if I mess up one of the discs I'm SOL.

I found BFME1 full boxed copy with everything in it for two bucks at a used bookstore. That's really your best bet. Just camp out in stores like that and you'll strike gold eventually.

Well there ARE cheap auctions if you look and wait for them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Battle-for-Middle-Earth-II-PC-CD-Complete-Game-/161246036696?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item258b0342d8

But the activation might be the issue here.

Avatar image for Postal_Guy
#13 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

Im so glad I didnt get rid of my copies, i've got all 3 BFME's and holding on to them for dear life