Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Hi all,

Quick question that I think of right now is what does affect on transfer speed between 2 computers via LAN?

I know that the cable type is very important to be CAT6 or even CAT7 on both computers connected to the router.

I know that Ethernet port on both computers and on the router is important to be 1Gbit speed.

Now what bothers me is this: I know that HDD write speed is important on the receiver PC, does read speed is important for the receiver PC? does the sharing PC HDD speeds got any contribute value for the whole transfer?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Provided you are running a 1gbps network, the two places where the caps could be are.

1. The max read rate of the sending PC 2. The max write rate of the receiving PC.

Gigabit is more than enough for anything a HDD could put out / receive. As for SSDs, well you would technically max out the network at 120MB/s.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@dxmcat said:

Provided you are running a 1gbps network, the two places where the caps could be are.

1. The max read rate of the sending PC 2. The max write rate of the receiving PC.

Gigabit is more than enough for anything a HDD could put out / receive. As for SSDs, well you would technically max out the network at 120MB/s.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah with transferring between SSDs I'd need a 10Gbit network cards and a router with such ports as well.