Total War Games Any Good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pacomontoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pacomontoya
Member since 2005 • 123 Posts
Hey guys, I just seen a trailer for the Medieval II: Kingdoms game that will be coming out soon, and I have never played a "TOTAL WAR" game. I really like C&C and Company of Heroes, would this be something right up my alley? Just curious to see, before I go out and buy it or download it. Thanks in advance.
RTSFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RTSFTW
Member since 2007 • 176 Posts

IDK since i haven't played CoH but i disliked C & C,but i LOVE Total War,try out the demo for medieval 2 first and see for yourself.

P.S. Medieval 2's Grafx kill those of CoH.

codyw32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 codyw32
Member since 2004 • 252 Posts
Yea Total War games are better looking than CoH. I just got done CoH and i personally enjoyed Total war II better.the battles are much bigger. I would download the demo and try it out
Zero_Fate_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Zero_Fate_
Member since 2003 • 3448 Posts

Get the demo, play the historical missions and test out if its up in your alley. The multiplayer is pretty lackluster in comparison to the games you mentioned but the strength in the long lasting singleplayer and downloadable content more then makes up for it.

Or to directly answer your "Are Total War Games Any Good?" question, then yes all TW games are awesome and Medieval 2 is no exception.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I think Total War games are the best out there, but I guess I should warn you they are a mix of turn based strategy, and real time strategy. Your resource gathering, positioning, and troopbuilding is all turn based. Then your combat is all real time. Personally I love this but I have ran into a few people that want a more all in one RTS game.

Copaseticbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Copaseticbob
Member since 2006 • 109 Posts

the total war games are good, not your traditional RTS, very large epic battles. I think you'll enjoy them.
and no, not even the new total war looks as good as CoH, although it does depend on the system. I honestly wish they would make a new Shogun version with the current(or next) engine, I thought it was the best.

Anyway, Yeah, they are good.

WeeWentW0ng5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WeeWentW0ng5
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Yeah, if you're in to huge epic battles and turned based gathering and city building. The game is like a mixture of Civilization and Supreme Commander. The battles are even bigger than SC and the turned based aspects are similar to Civ's. it's a move tactic game than the usually RTS because usually one shot or hit from one unit to another is the end and once you experience a full on cavalry charge you'll understand why it is so awesome. I highly recommend this game. Download the demo first.
Lord_Tigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Lord_Tigger
Member since 2002 • 228 Posts

*clears throat*

TheTotal Wargames are, to me, the epitome of strategy gaming. They are the perfect blend of "old school" turn-based strategy, causing one to recall the days of pen and paper strategy games, mixed with a maddening rush of real-time strategy. The end result is a game that causes you to be careful and meticulous in where to place your castles and how to choose your friends, then throws you into combat the likes of which Ridley Scott could only imagine.

I'm not a fast thinker and I have a hard time with the frantic pace of a lot of RTS games. I have to be able to slow the game and even pause it so I can best choose what course of action to take next. The Total War series lets you take a game as fast or as slow as you want both with the overall pace and ease of pausing combat and rotating the camera. The game is also completely open to HOW you want to play. In the turn-based campaign you can go full force with rolling armies of destruction or sit back and let your economy purchase your territories for you. In combat you can rage and throw your men against the metal teeth of the enemy or go defensive and lure your enemies into a trap.

Command and Conquer has its allure and Company of Heroes is certainly a feast of both eye-candy and mental challenge, but, to me, every single second and every single frame of gameplay in ANY of the Total Wargames is a work of art.Every moment in the game on your screen looks like a hand-painted masterpiece, and the ambient sounds and mood music thrusts you IN the game. Blood is flying, battle drums arepounding and cows...yes cows!...are flying! DUCK! You're no longer a spectator; you're a participant! No other game brings you the entire struggle of global domination in such scale, from foreign relations to hand-to-hand combat. You're not fighting on a map; you're fighting on the face of the earth itself.

Drawbacks? Ever since Shogun: Total War, diplomacy has been hit or miss. The AI still does some pretty odd things with foreign relations, like no matter how good your rating is with someone they still refuse to help you or an ally will break off its alliance just to turn around a few years later and ask to be your friend again. It gets better with everygame, however,and Medieval II has offered the best in diplomacy and economy of the entire series.

I strongly recommend you try the demo for Medieval II, and be sure to fiddle with the graphics settings if your machine has trouble running it. My rig is over 2.5 years old and I had to tone down some of the shiny stuff but the game runs smooth as glass, even in big battles. I also recommend you try some of the demos of the older games, especially Shogun. Despite the gorgeous graphics of the later Total War games, you may find better satisfaction just in the setting and unit types available in the earlier ones. Of all the games together, Rome is my least favorite because of its limited troop variety and balance with the more tribal factions. Medieval II has bumped the first Medieval as my overall favorite.

Give it a shot and let us know what you think! Once more, into the breach!!!

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Dang Lord_Tigger, you sure like your Total War... heck, reading that description almost motivated me to go buy a copy of Medieval 2, it sounded so fun. My laziness prevailed though. :(
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Any good? Total War is among the best franchise on the PC.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
They sell Total War 2 on Steam, not to mention numerous other strategy games.
pacomontoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pacomontoya
Member since 2005 • 123 Posts
Wow, I'm starting to wonder why I even waited so long now. Thanks for all the feedback you guys. I really, really appreciate it. I think I will have to go and download a copy of the DEMO now, if not buy it. Thanks again.
Lord_Tigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 Lord_Tigger
Member since 2002 • 228 Posts

Glad we could help.

I forgot to add this but the link to my review of Medieval II is here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/medieval2totalwar/player_review.html?id=417120

rpg9000owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 rpg9000owner
Member since 2006 • 1859 Posts

An amazing series, the demo for M2TW is a poor representation of the game in my opinion as initially the demo put me off the game, and the series at that, but I got Rome one day (bargin bin, dawn of war was sold out) and I was immersed for weeks upon weeks, now I have jumped to M2TW and it's my favorite in the series.

Get M2TW, patch it to 1.2 (initial release was buggy).... you wont regret it, I don't see how you will not be impressed.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Medieval Total War is the best as far as im concerned. That game kept me hooked for so long its a joke. It will seriously ruin your life if you get as hooked as everyone else lol.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
i dont understand how people enjoy TW games... is it because they aren't fast/skilled enough to enjoy a normal REAL TIME STRATEGY game? Nothing is better than total annihilation: spring IMO There's just an unimaginable level of depth in that game, atleast compared to all other MMO's. (and the game is a free remake)
JeffreyCor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 JeffreyCor
Member since 2004 • 149 Posts
They are fantastic! More should take a lesson from these games, it would greatly improve them accross the board. This is how real games of this type should be done. Games for gamers with brains. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

i dont understand how people enjoy TW games... is it because they aren't fast/skilled enough to enjoy a normal REAL TIME STRATEGY game? Nothing is better than total annihilation: spring IMO There's just an unimaginable level of depth in that game, atleast compared to all other MMO's. (and the game is a free remake)zero9167

Rome Total War isn't a RTS.. It is a hybrid of TBS and RTS.. I am a avid fan of RTS's my self but you can only build your base on a small scope for so long before you get bored.. I like TW games because they pit you in a much greater view of a situtation that require far more thought then the next 5 minutes infront of you.. In my mind these games take way more strategy and thinking then a game like Starcraft because due to time constratints youa re limited..

deniiiii21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deniiiii21
Member since 2007 • 1261 Posts
Man Total War games in my opinion are the best PC games out there, I have every Total War game all the expansion packs, didnt get the Medieval one yet. The best total war game for me is Shogun Total War Mongol Invasion, since it was a lot simpler to organize your armies and the map wasnt all over the whole Europe, nothing better than sending those crazy Mori Warrior monks and watch them annihilate every damn thing in the battle. Rome total war Barbarian invasion was the worst game for me, first its tooo damn hard I finished it with every tribe, but there were times man where I just feelt like the game wasnt fair enough it was hard as hell. So to answer your question yes go buy all of the Total war games you will be addicted.