To all Bioshock WIDESCREEN users!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for yoshizuki_basic
yoshizuki_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 yoshizuki_basic
Member since 2002 • 52 Posts

Here's an issue you might want to know about. Whether or not this issue is moot for you or is significant is for you to decide, but just wanted to let you know it's there:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4883&page=1

Widescreen users should know the significance of this issue...

cloud8900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cloud8900
Member since 2004 • 1896 Posts

thank sucks

no widescreen= :(

firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 firefly026
Member since 2005 • 3270 Posts

thank sucks

no widescreen= :(

cloud8900

No widescreen= :cry:

Hopefully 2K will sort this issue out quickly.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10592 Posts
I've read the thread. 2K Elizabeth (admin and 2K employee) has already taken note and passed on the message. A reply is probably forthcoming. Also, apparently it's not a problem just for the PC version either. The Xbox 360 version also has the Vertical minus widescreen problem. Hopefully this will promptly result in a patch for both the PC and X360 versions to fix this.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58567 Posts

Save me, widescreengaming forums! We need your help once again!

But like someone said, 2k is aware of the issue. Lets just hope they dont push the PC release date back too far to fix this issue (though an extra week or so would be ok with me). Idunno, has it even gone gold for PC yet (i.e. is the master CD sent out for duplication yet)?

whoody12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 whoody12
Member since 2004 • 4717 Posts
the demo has Wideschreen, I play @ 1680X1050
Avatar image for yoshizuki_basic
yoshizuki_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yoshizuki_basic
Member since 2002 • 52 Posts

the demo has Wideschreen, I play @ 1680X1050whoody12

the issue is that your widescreen is "broken widescreen" which is a cropped image from a 4:3 perspective. You're actually losing vertical field of view with widescreen vs fullscreen which shouldn't be happening. Widescreen users should be getting the same vertical field of view but with added horizontal view.

firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 firefly026

Save me, widescreengaming forums! We need your help once again!

But like someone said, 2k is aware of the issue. Lets just hope they dont push the PC release date back too far to fix this issue (though an extra week or so would be ok with me). Idunno, has it even gone gold for PC yet (i.e. is the master CD sent out for duplication yet)?

mrbojangles25
The game was released today in the US.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 madrocketeer
the demo has Wideschreen, I play @ 1680X1050whoody12
Support for widescreen resolution was not the problem - the problem was how Irrational implemented it. We buy widescreen displays so that we could see more things on the screen. By standard, games really should widen the field of view horizontally to fit the widescreen aspect ratio, ie the Horizontal Plus method. Unfortunately, Bioshock did something entirely different: it implemented widescreen by the Vertical Minus method, meaning it reduced the vertical field of view so that the image can fit in the widescreen aspect ratio. This means you actually see less things going on the screen than players who play at standard aspect ratios such as 4:3.
grarap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 grarap
Member since 2004 • 5780 Posts
I found it funny that people on those forums were talking about cancelling their pre-orders just because of a lack of widescreen support. I played the demo on 1680x1440 without noticing my gameplay being hampered at all. Sucks to be them, Bioshock is like nothing I've ever experienced before
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 madrocketeer
I found it funny that people on those forums were talking about cancelling their pre-orders just because of a lack of widescreen support. I played the demo on 1680x1440 without noticing my gameplay being hampered at all. Sucks to be them, Bioshock is like nothing I've ever experienced beforegrarap
Knee-jerk reactions. Really, this is a minor issue, albeit one that does significantly affect the game experience for some people, and one that could be easily addressed, which is what I hope Irrational is doing right now.
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 firefly026
Here's my question: Why does the PC demo implement true widescreen, while the retail version does not?
brilhasti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brilhasti
Member since 2003 • 400 Posts
Well, this is why it'll get a 9.9 instead of 10 though am I right? It's officially less-than-perfect now. I think I can live with it.
brilhasti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 brilhasti

Here's my question: Why does the PC demo implement true widescreen, while the retail version does not?firefly026

What makes you think it does? Again, it'll run in the widescreen resolution properly. That's not the problem. It's how they've chopped off the viewport that is the problem.

firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 firefly026
Well, this is why it'll get a 9.9 instead of 10 though am I right? It's officially less-than-perfect now. I think I can live with it.brilhasti
The problem is being addressed by 2K, it's not a permanent issue.
drunken_end

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 drunken_end
Member since 2006 • 593 Posts
-Sigh- looks like I'll be playing at a 4:3 resolution instead of my native 1680 x 1050.
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firefly026

[QUOTE="firefly026"]Here's my question: Why does the PC demo implement true widescreen, while the retail version does not?brilhasti

What makes you think it does? Again, it'll run in the widescreen resolution properly. That's not the problem. It's how they've chopped off the viewport that is the problem.

Because when comparing the screenshot at 2K to the demo, I can see that the vertical field of view is not reduced. For example, I'm able to see the bottom of the wrench, and I can also see my sleeves and tattoo in the demo.
brilhasti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brilhasti

Ok I can't say I've research this thoroughly myself but I think the wrenches are moved down when running widescreen as indicated in the screenshot in the original post. Notice the two sets of icons? The ones out of the red are the ones you see in widscreen and that doesn't mean that the verticals haven't been chopped off.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
sucks but hopefully it would be fixed later
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

Can anyone say release-day patch?

But seriously, that is the trend nowadays. Ignore the numerous tiny problems to solve the one or two big problems. God forbid you test the game out on a 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratio'd monitors! Let the hype sell the game, and quality and competency be damned! After all, Bestbuy doesnt accept returns so its money into their pockets and we aint getting it back! Hey, the game has fancy water and a dedicated crew, who cares about a tiny widescreen problem.

*sigh* Sorry, I know they dont deserve my criticism (especially since I am stuck in school and thus dont have the game at this moment), but if this is true then I have lost all hope for PC games. This really seemed to be developed by a good company and publisher; I mean, we even got an apology. But now this comes along and it is a HUGE oversight imo.

brilhasti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 brilhasti

But seriously, that is the trend nowadays. Ignore the numerous tiny problems to solve the one or two big problems. God forbid you test the game out on a 4:3, 16:9, and 16:10 ratio'd monitors! Let the hype sell the game, and quality and competency be damned! After all, Bestbuy doesnt accept returns so its money into their pockets and we aint getting it back! Hey, the game has fancy water and a dedicated crew, who cares about a tiny widescreen problem.

*sigh* Sorry, I know they dont deserve my criticism (especially since I am stuck in school and thus dont have the game at this moment), but if this is true then I have lost all hope for PC games. This really seemed to be developed by a good company and publisher; I mean, we even got an apology. But now this comes along and it is a HUGE oversight imo.

mrbojangles25

Hyperbole, much?

firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 firefly026

but if this is true then I have lost all hope for PC games.

mrbojangles25
We're not the only ones getting the shaft, the POV is screwed on the X360 as well.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

but if this is true then I have lost all hope for PC games.

firefly026

We're not the only ones getting the shaft, the POV is screwed on the X360 as well.

Oh, well atleast theyre fair in their mistreatment lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

brilhasti

Hyperbole, much?

Well, its how I feel. And after attempting to return ArmA to bestbuy, it is also true. I am stuck with a broken game, and they still have my money. I wont let that happen to me again.

However, I feel Bioshock is a safe bet and, as someone said, the problem is being addressed. Besides, R6: Vegas was fun even if the screen was stretched a bit. Its just Bioshock seems to be a game about atmosphere, and if the top and bottom is cut off, how is that benefitting the atmosphere?

perti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 perti
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

That's why I learned long ago that I will never again buy a game without playing the demo first. I've been screwed too many times by hype and the opinion of others. EB used to take back games just because they sucked, but they stopped, and so now if there's no demo I don't buy.

Incidentally, you are right about the game being about atmosphere. By far this is the game's strongest selling point. The combat isn't bad either, but the atmosphere is amazing.