Titan quest or dungeon siege 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts

Which has better sidequests and gameplay.

More recomendations are always welcome

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Hmm, I'd go with Titan Quest, though I did enjoy Dungeon Siege2 as well.
juggernaut8419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 juggernaut8419
Member since 2003 • 872 Posts
Titan Quest lasted a lot longer for me. I was getting bored of the Dungeon Siege 2 gameplay towards the end, but it still had some cool boss battles.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Titan Quest is very similar to Diablo II, except it's set in ancient mythology world and seems to be very long - I only just finished the Greece Act. In fact, it's so similar to Diablo II even most of the hotkeys I used to use work, though some slightly differently. I haven't played Dungeon Siege II, but if the original is anything to go by, then it's slightly more a Baldur's Gate in style with fully controllable parties, formations and such - minus all the RPG depth of Baldur's Gate. Both are mind-numbing hack'n'slash affairs probably not suited for RPG gamers looking for some depth in their games, but I'm gonna say DSII - just because I worship Chris Taylor.
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 barney_calhoun_
what is your opinions on gothic 3 and neverwinter nights
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 madrocketeer
Gothic 3 is apparently still very buggy. People I've seen are still waiting for a big patch to fix up a whole swath of issues, so bear that in mind. Ah, Neverwinter Nights, the game that broke my Diablo II addiction. While the official campaign can be interesting, I think it's a game best played with custom modules.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Gothic 3 is really not as buggy as people say it is. I played the entire campaign with no real severe issues. Minor ones, yes, but nothing that should stop you from playing that great title.
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 barney_calhoun_

Gothic 3 is apparently still very buggy. People I've seen are still waiting for a big patch to fix up a whole swath of issues, so bear that in mind. Ah, Neverwinter Nights, the game that broke my Diablo II addiction. While the official campaign can be interesting, I think it's a game best played with custom modules.madrocketeer

And started your new addiction?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 madrocketeer
And started your new addiction?barney_calhoun_
Nope. Neverwinter Nights didn't turn out to last very long with me, but it did its job. It's like penicillin, you know. You get sick with something, you take it until you're cured - but it's not wise to continue to taking it after you're cured.
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 barney_calhoun_
well im a bit adicted to oblivion so i could use some medicine...
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 madrocketeer
Haha. Sorry mate, different disease, different patient, different medicine. :D You're gonna have to go find your own cure.
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 barney_calhoun_
I cant think of any... baldurs gate maybe?
Anime910

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Anime910
Member since 2003 • 93 Posts
You could try Morrowind if you found Oblivion to be addiciting.
beckoflight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#14 beckoflight
Member since 2006 • 848 Posts
TQ first ... than DS 2 !!! its just more hard core & fun !
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 madrocketeer
Maybe, I don't know. The NWN thing with me was a bit of an accident. I bought it without any expectation that it would cure my Diablo II addiction, but it did. I was just looking for a good RPG to play when I'm not Baal-running my MA Assassin.
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 barney_calhoun_

You could try Morrowind if you found Oblivion to be addiciting.Anime910

I already have it

Meh, i guess ill look for another Real (or hack and slash) rpg while i use the temporary cures, the J-Rpg

LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LiLsLashy
Member since 2006 • 1082 Posts

[QUOTE="Anime910"]You could try Morrowind if you found Oblivion to be addiciting.barney_calhoun_

I already have it

Meh, i guess ill look for another Real (or hack and slash) rpg while i use the temporary cures, the J-Rpg

Titan Quest is a perfect transition from Oblivion, since it has incredible graphics, possibly better than Oblivion's without any texture packs installed. DS2 was absolutely terrible, and they simply used the same graphics engine from DS1, which looks worse than many games released in the late 90's. With the Immortal Throne expansion, Titan Quest is the best Diablo clone to date, by far. It offers pure hack & slash gold, and destroys Sacred, Fate, Nox, DS1/2, and Darkstone. Divine Divinity may be worth checking out as it's a hack & slash that manages to set itself apart from Diablo unlike some of the others, but it doesn't offer any MP.

barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 barney_calhoun_
[QUOTE="barney_calhoun_"]

[QUOTE="Anime910"]You could try Morrowind if you found Oblivion to be addiciting.LiLsLashy

I already have it

Titan Quest is a perfect transition from Oblivion, since it has incredible graphics, possibly better than Oblivion's without any texture packs installed. DS2 was absolutely terrible, and they simply used the same graphics engine from DS1, which looks worse than many games released in the late 90's. With the Immortal Throne expansion, Titan Quest is the best Diablo clone to date, by far. It offers pure hack & slash gold, and destroys Sacred, Fate, Nox, DS1/2, and Darkstone. Divine Divinity may be worth checking out as it's a hack & slash that manages to set itself apart from Diablo unlike some of the others, but it doesn't offer any MP.

Reminder: Graphics do not make a game.

And DS1 had the best graphics for its time, sure they are outdated now, but im totally sure that ds2 does not use the same engine, or does it?

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts
It does, though the engine got an overhaul since neweer hardware came out since the original. It does look a lot better than the original, and no, the original looked nowehere near anything from the late 90's. For the time it was breathtaking, and that was 2002.
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 barney_calhoun_

It does, though the engine got an overhaul since neweer hardware came out since the original. It does look a lot better than the original, and no, the original looked nowehere near anything from the late 90's. For the time it was breathtaking, and that was 2002.NoAssKicker47

what i never played "snif"

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts
I prefer Titan Quest to DS1. I haven't done DS2 but I've read it's very similar. There's more to do in TQ and the graphics are better. If you're going to play TQ you MUST buy the expansion. I did right off the bat. I love the caravans and the insta-portal that lets you immediately goto town to sell your loot. This game drops a ton of loot and if I didn't have that portal most of it would rot.
LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LiLsLashy
[QUOTE="LiLsLashy"][QUOTE="barney_calhoun_"]

[QUOTE="Anime910"]You could try Morrowind if you found Oblivion to be addiciting.barney_calhoun_

I already have it

Reminder: Graphics do not make a game.

And DS1 had the best graphics for its time, sure they are outdated now, but im totally sure that ds2 does not use the same engine, or does it?

Did I ever say "graphics make a game?" The DS series features a horrible 3D graphics engine that hasn't aged well at all. The classic 2D Interplay RPG's from the late 90's look much better, and some don't even support resolutions higher than 640x480. Divine Divinity came out around the same time as DS1, was done entirely in 2D, and looked 10x better.

LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LiLsLashy

It does, though the engine got an overhaul since neweer hardware came out since the original. It does look a lot better than the original, and no, the original looked nowehere near anything from the late 90's. For the time it was breathtaking, and that was 2002.NoAssKicker47

DS looks just as repulsive now as it did back then.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 madrocketeer
Game graphics is half technical achievement, half art, and even then it is heavily susceptible to human subjectivity. With utmost respect for LiLsLashy's opinion, I for one think the DS1 graphics looked great for a game its age, and featured some truly stunning locations.
ALKATRAZ_ACAZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ALKATRAZ_ACAZ
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Bothgames are great but i liked Titan more than DS2
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 barney_calhoun_
havnt decide yet...
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

havnt decide yet...barney_calhoun_

At this point, pick which setting you prefer more. DS2's high fantasy or TQ's ancient greek mythology. Personally, I enjoyed the demo of TQ more than I did the original DS1 when I got it 5 years ago, and I'm thinking I might have to pick up TQ and Immortal Throne soon...

The_AI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 The_AI
Member since 2006 • 4791 Posts

Titan Quest has an authentic setting, ragdoll physics, great customisation, and good graphics.

Dungeon Siege 2's story is a total ripoff of LOTR, the graphics are crusty, and the voice acting is lame. But still, it's wickedly fun (probably more fun than any other ARPG) and it has incredible music. Jeremy Soule (sp?), I love you in a healthy, platonic, non-stalker way.

Buy them both!

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 madrocketeer
Chris Taylor had never really been known for the stories in his games. He's always been more of a gameplay-centric kind of designer. Just look at Total Annihilation - the entire story can be summarized into a single paragraph, yet TA is widely considered among the finest RTS ever created, purely due to its gameplay. True. TQ does have some fine tunes, but they are utterly incomparable to Jeremy Soule's mastery.
Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
I liked Titan quest better than Ds2.
underdark944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 underdark944
Member since 2003 • 1368 Posts
Titan Quest and Neverwinter Nights 2
123monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 123monkey
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts
Titan quest was a longer and more involving game for me :)
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts
I didn't like titan quest at all
Avatar image for CubePrime_basic
CubePrime_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CubePrime_basic
Member since 2003 • 3230 Posts

I didn't like titan quest at allBLaZe462

Why?

On my part I loved it.

LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LiLsLashy

Chris Taylor had never really been known for the stories in his games. He's always been more of a gameplay-centric kind of designer. Just look at Total Annihilation - the entire story can be summarized into a single paragraph, yet TA is widely considered among the finest RTS ever created, purely due to its gameplay. True. TQ does have some fine tunes, but they are utterly incomparable to Jeremy Soule's mastery.madrocketeer

I'm going to have to disagree with that too. Jeremy Soule's work is the epitome of genericly epic drivel, and is eclipsed by the scores of Kirill Pokrovsky. Kirill composed and created the soundtrack for Divine Divinity, and every track is haunting and vastly different, in contrast to Soule's music, which sounds nearly identical in every game he touches.

rome7774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rome7774
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Between Titan quest or dungeon siege 2. ds2 is a great game, played it more than 5 times i think. my major complain is the camera angles can be diff at times. titan quest on the other hand is a diablo type game so no problem with camera angles except on certain areas where the background doesnt melt and you couldnt see where you are. as for gameplay and rpg fun, i would lean towards titan quest immortal throne. not just titan quest.

But if you put in neverwinter nights 2, then i would say go with neverwinter nights 2. that game i havent stopped playing. with all the downloadable modules its like a hundred in one game. :)

Death_Masta187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Death_Masta187
Member since 2002 • 2940 Posts
If you like Diablo 2 then go with titan Quest... I have played 30 hours and am only about half way done with the game.... I loved Dungeon Siege 1 but 2 not so much...As for neverwinter nights.. 1 was good but 2 was crap...
fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#38 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts
i've never played dungeon seige 2, but i do own and enjoy titan quest. the character customization is good and the sidequests are all good enough for the most part
Avatar image for deactivated-63be4e015895a
deactivated-63be4e015895a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 deactivated-63be4e015895a
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

IMO.

Get titan quest if you prefer:

• Single player party
  • Better graphics (subjectinve but I think most people would agree)
  • Better customisation of character, and more varied abilities
  • Less automation

DS2

• Party based
  • More automation. Your guys pretty much take care of themselves. It's more about configuration and strategy than tactics
  • Fewer load times (but not by much)

In summary, I thought TQ was more fun - I felt like I was in control of the action. DS2 (like DS1) has a "sit back and watch" feel to it.

Bring on the flames ;)

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 madrocketeer
I'm going to have to disagree with that too. Jeremy Soule's work is the epitome of genericly epic drivel, and is eclipsed by the scores of Kirill Pokrovsky. Kirill composed and created the soundtrack for Divine Divinity, and every track is haunting and vastly different, in contrast to Soule's music, which sounds nearly identical in every game he touches.LiLsLashy
I had a listen, and I think it's a bit apples & oranges. Kirill Pokrovsky is innovative, but Jeremy Soule's best asset is his polish. Both have vastly different focus in their works, and neither eclipse each other in my view. And just so everyone knows what I'm talking about, you can sample some of Kirill Pokrovsky's work at http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/ . I had a quick look and there seem to be some downloadable sample tracks on it.
Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts
TQ is great the expansion made it even better.
LiLsLashy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LiLsLashy

[QUOTE="LiLsLashy"]I'm going to have to disagree with that too. Jeremy Soule's work is the epitome of genericly epic drivel, and is eclipsed by the scores of Kirill Pokrovsky. Kirill composed and created the soundtrack for Divine Divinity, and every track is haunting and vastly different, in contrast to Soule's music, which sounds nearly identical in every game he touches.madrocketeer
I had a listen, and I think it's a bit apples & oranges. Kirill Pokrovsky is innovative, but Jeremy Soule's best asset is his polish. Both have vastly different focus in their works, and neither eclipse each other in my view. And just so everyone knows what I'm talking about, you can sample some of Kirill Pokrovsky's work at http://www.kirillpokrovsky.com/ . I had a quick look and there seem to be some downloadable sample tracks on it.

Yep, you found his site, which is unsuprisingly tacky and unprofessional, considering Divine Divinity didn't sell well but still has a strong cult following to this day. I downloaded the entire Divine Divine soundtrack from that site, and threw in about half the tracks into my Oblivion Music folder for a bit more variety. Morrowind's score wasn't too bad, but Soule really dissappointed me with his work for Oblivion.

I also use some of this guy's music in any game that allows me to add custom tracks. The following I threw in Oblivion's Dungeon folder:

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=48148

stif42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 stif42
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
Dungeon Siege 2 is a complete disappointment
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="madrocketeer"]Chris Taylor had never really been known for the stories in his games. He's always been more of a gameplay-centric kind of designer. Just look at Total Annihilation - the entire story can be summarized into a single paragraph, yet TA is widely considered among the finest RTS ever created, purely due to its gameplay. True. TQ does have some fine tunes, but they are utterly incomparable to Jeremy Soule's mastery.LiLsLashy

I'm going to have to disagree with that too. Jeremy Soule's work is the epitome of genericly epic drivel, and is eclipsed by the scores of Kirill Pokrovsky. Kirill composed and created the soundtrack for Divine Divinity, and every track is haunting and vastly different, in contrast to Soule's music, which sounds nearly identical in every game he touches.

I don't think Soule is that bad, he just works on too many games. When you take only his best work like Icewind Dale he rocks. He currently just writs waaay to much of it. Anyway I wish Microsoft would hire Jack Wall to do dS2 soundtrack, God knows the music he wrote for the game's trailer was better than anything on actual DS2 score :)

kirill is nice, but he's hardly wrote much music. And except Divine Divinity his other game works have been preety meh

Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts
Dungeon Siege 2 was alright, but I personally enoyed Titan Quest more.