Time to start building a new PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts

I posted on here awhile ago about a gaming laptop. Most people told me to just build my own desktop, so that is what I am going to do(hopefully). It's probably going to be a couple months before I can get it, but I would like to get a basic idea of which parts to look in to. I'm going to be playing a lot of Diablo 3 and Huild Wars 2 when they come out. I'll probably pick up Skyrim as well, and Battlefield 3. I don't need to be able to run everything on max settings, but it would be nice if I could max out games like Diablo.

Budget $1000-$1200 (Including Monitor)

I'd like to go with Intel/Nvidia. But if going the AMD/ATI route will let me save a couple hundred dollars, I wont mind.

The main things I need help with are the processor, graphics card and motherboard. If someone could help me find a reasonably priced combination of those three parts I can probably fill in the rest by my self.

I orginally thought the i5-2500k seemed like a reasonable choice. But I had a couple people tell me it's not the best option for the price. As for graphics card, I would love to have a GTX580, but I realize that's just too expensive for me.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. I have never built a PC before and dont really know where to start.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I'd recommend the i5 2500k still havent really read into Ivybridge, although i've heard it's only a small upgrade for the money spent are you sure you cant splurge into a newer card i have a 560ti and im already thinking about upgrading just because of how much i love using my computer. Assuming you dont mind going with an amd card you could get a Radeon 7970, for around 470) which is only slightly more then a gtx 580 for alot bettter performance it does come with 3games if you dont have them that is. not really sure on Motherboard but im using the Asus P8Z68 V-Pro and its working for me.

(Edit) Just wanted to add for what its worth i can max Diablo 3 and Play Battlefield 3 on high with my 560Ti just for compraison I guess the Higher end card comes down if you want to future proof with Crysis 3 and such.

ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts

I don't really care how much each part costs. I just really dont want to spend over $1200.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I don't really care how much each part costs. I just really dont want to spend over $1200.

ACx7

use newegg.com to buy everything but the hard drive (go to amazon for that)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

heres what i recommend for parts:

intel core i5 2500k

amd hd 7970 graphics card

asrock extreme 4 motherboard

8gb ddr3 (w/e is cheap, normally patriot or g. skill. try and get somehting with a shielding like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220668in fact i recommend that very one unless you can find a better deal.

rosewill 630 watt power supply

coolermaster cm 690 II or a coolermaster HAF 922 case

coolermaster hyper 212+ cpu fan or antec H20 cpu watercooling kit

500 gb wd caviar blue hard drive

dvd-rom w/e is cheap on newegg. normally there all about $20

windows 7 home premium 64-bit OEM edition (it will be 100 bucks guaranteed)

that should be about 1200 bucks anbd will play any game at 1080p on full. if you need a monitor drop the videocard down to an hd 7870/hd 6970 and get a screen with the savings.

Krazymixture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Krazymixture
Member since 2010 • 175 Posts
If you have a microcenter in town they smash newegg. Not sure but I think they might deliver too. And have a 30 day $ back guarantee. Newegg can't phase microcenter
Krazymixture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Krazymixture
Member since 2010 • 175 Posts
Right now at microcenter i5 3570k 189.99 plus 50$ off any mobo
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts

I most of IonusX's build, except for the Radeon HD 7970. That's a very expensive graphics card, and the actual gain you would get from it instead having a 7870,7850,6970,6950, or even 6870 is pretty minimal. So unless that very small difference is worth an extra $200-$300 to you, go with a more cost efficient video card.

Also, I would consider having a 1TB hard instead of 500gb, but that's more just personal choice.

Edit, just saw this:

If you have a microcenter in town they smash newegg. Not sure but I think they might deliver too. And have a 30 day $ back guarantee. Newegg can't phase microcenterKrazymixture

This is true for CPUs. I believe the deal is that if you buy the motherboard and CPU at the same time, you get a huge discount on the CPU. Microcenter tries to make a profit by getting more people into their store through cheap CPUs. You would probably be a lot better off getting the graphics card off the internet though.

Diwashb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Diwashb
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

I most of IonusX's build, except for the Radeon HD 7970. That's a very expensive graphics card, and the actual gain you would get from it instead having a 7870,7850,6970,6950, or even 6870 is pretty minimal. So unless that very small difference is worth an extra $200-$300 to you, go with a more cost efficient video card.

Also, I would consider having a 1TB hard instead of 500gb, but that's more just personal choice.

Edit, just saw this:[QUOTE="Krazymixture"]If you have a microcenter in town they smash newegg. Not sure but I think they might deliver too. And have a 30 day $ back guarantee. Newegg can't phase microcenterAcemaster27

This is true for CPUs. I believe the deal is that if you buy the motherboard and CPU at the same time, you get a huge discount on the CPU. Microcenter tries to make a profit by getting more people into their store through cheap CPUs. You would probably be a lot better off getting the graphics card off the internet though.

Go for the 7850.