this stupid pc is driving me crazy, help please

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts
ok im not going to tell a story like i usually do. i just really need to get to the bottom of this. theres a problem with my sisters computer. its a compaq, but after i installed some after market parts (excuse my use of street racing terminology) its been crashing and not booting up normally.

specs when first purchased:
athlon 64 3400+?? idk but its running at 2400mhz
asus mobo
1gb ram
300 watt psu
200gb 7200rpm hdd
dvd rw drive
onboard 128mb graphics
onboard realtek audio

parts i added:
pci card for wireless internet (i doubt this is causing the problem)
nvidia geforce 6600gt agp card
rosewill 450 watt powersupply (to power the video card, nvidia reccomends 350 watts or higher)

these are the problems the pc is having:
1. when the pc is turned on, the monitor says no signal detected. i have to try turning it on about 10 times before it finally shows an image and boots up right

2. first it only crashed during games (sims 2), but now it crashes randomly. it completely shuts down and it wont power back on without flipping the switch on the power supply and  unplugging/plugging the power cables back  in to the wall outlet.

im confused as to what the problem is and i've tried everything i can. because of the first problem i thought  i did something wrong installing the video card , but because of the second problem i thought maybe the psu was faulty. can someone help me out please?

Avatar image for 353535355353535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 353535355353535
Member since 2005 • 4424 Posts

I think it may be your power supply.

When you purchase a power supply, wattage isn't everything. You need a good power supply with a good 12volt rail. I'd recommend at least 28 amps

Here's the power supply that I put in my PC

SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SDog624
the power supply i got had good reviews. any second opions? i've never had such a complicated problem. usually i'd have something fixed within hours.
TwistedBishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TwistedBishop
Member since 2006 • 33 Posts
Any power supply can be DoA. That should be your first swap. Random reboots and failures to power up just screw a funky PSU.
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SDog624
damn it i hope i can get another one through warranty. i'll have to swap another one in and see if thats the problem. do you guys think the power supply is causing the video problems too? maybe some bad power going to the gpu? 
TwistedBishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedBishop
Member since 2006 • 33 Posts
Yep I'd say that's exactly what's causing it.
Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
damn it i hope i can get another one through warranty. i'll have to swap another one in and see if thats the problem. do you guys think the power supply is causing the video problems too? maybe some bad power going to the gpu? SDog624
Yes. The PSU is not providing enough power to the video card, and so it is causing video errors as well.
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SDog624
before i try swapping in a new psu i just noticed something. when the i take out the video card and just use the onboard graphics, the computer starts up normally every time and doesnt crash. either the psu is messed up, which doesnt seem to be the case because its fine without the graphics card, or im doing something wrong installing the graphics card.

can someone give me a detailed explanation of what i should be doing when installing the card? i know the manual says i should be disabling the onboard graphics in my bios but theres no way to do that. the only option that has to do with the graphic is "primary video adapter" and then my choices are "pci" or "agp/onboard". that just doesnt make sense to me.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

before i try swapping in a new psu i just noticed something. when the i take out the video card and just use the onboard graphics, the computer starts up normally every time and doesnt crash. either the psu is messed up, which doesnt seem to be the case because its fine without the graphics card, or im doing something wrong installing the graphics card.

can someone give me a detailed explanation of what i should be doing when installing the card? i know the manual says i should be disabling the onboard graphics in my bios but theres no way to do that. the only option that has to do with the graphic is "primary video adapter" and then my choices are "pci" or "agp/onboard". that just doesnt make sense to me.
SDog624

I would check your wiring make sure you have your GPU powered by a line independently if possible.  Also, try this with your primary HDD again, if possible.  If this doesn't help, try another PSU you have lieing around (like the one you took out).  If you still are not satified format so you know its not software conflict.  I would check the bios to make sure you have your settings to PCI or VGA what ever you are using as a slot solution, make sure you set your vram too (256 card 512 card whatever it is.)   

Â