This is probably a silly question but...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

Now that Win 7 is coming out. When PC Games come out (probably after next year) Will I have to worry about my copy of Vista being out dated and not being able to play games because Vista isnt supported?

I don't really like Changing OS reason I say this...I just like to get a new OS when I buy a new PC or something.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Don't worry. You'll be fine with Vista, but I would give Windows 7 a look. It appears to have shaped up nicely.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts
HAHA? Really? I mean look at XP. Still 100% Supported.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#4 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

Don't worry. You'll be fine with Vista, but I would give Windows 7 a look. It appears to have shaped up nicely.

psn8214
Well I always wanted to download the beta awhile back but I dont know much about installing OS's :P
HAHA? Really? I mean look at XP. Still 100% Supported.Steameffekt
Hmm true.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

Vexx88

Well I always wanted to download the beta awhile back but I dont know much about installing OS's :P
HAHA? Really? I mean look at XP. Still 100% Supported.Steameffekt
Hmm true.

Its quite simle actually, but you have to format your hard-drive under most circumstances.

Salacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salacon
Member since 2003 • 1460 Posts

Yeah, Vista's going to be supported. XP, however, might start seeing itself getting phased out.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

xp will drop off the map gaming wise 1-2 months after windows 7 release mainly because direct x 9.0c will no longer be supported. so in short: you dont NEED to panic when windows OS 8 comes you will need to seriously give it thought however. and before i get someone belching smoke and fire at me consider the following: name one game any game good or bad that support direct x 8, 9, and 10 that isnt a download only game (no indie title cheating now). you wont find one at all..

Dark_prince123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Dark_prince123
Member since 2008 • 1149 Posts
[QUOTE="Vexx88"]

Now that Win 7 is coming out. When PC Games come out (probably after next year) Will I have to worry about my copy of Vista being out dated and not being able to play games because Vista isnt supported?

I don't really like Changing OS reason I say this...I just like to get a new OS when I buy a new PC or something.

Man I am using Windows Xp Till now , I am planning to Buy Windows 7 , Q: can I upgrade Windows Xp To 7 Directly and is that gonna effect the Progs I already installed
Murdouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Murdouken
Member since 2009 • 125 Posts
I recently upgraded to 7, and it is fantastic. The install process went incredibly smoothly aswell. I downloaded the iso from Microsoft, burned it to a disc, put the disc in and shut down, reset and from then on it was just like installing a game. It has a nice fancy installer the guides you through the whole process. 7 = Vista + more = amazingly good. XP to 7 = You have to reformat, meaning everything is deleted and everything has to be reinstalled on 7. Vista to 7 = You can just do an upgrade, keeping everything that was installed. And remember, 7 takes UP TO 16 gb of space. :p
Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

You will be fine with Vista. I'm going to have to finally upgrade out of XP 32bit methinks.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_prince123"][QUOTE="Vexx88"]

Man I am using Windows Xp Till now , I am planning to Buy Windows 7 , Q: can I upgrade Windows Xp To 7 Directly and is that gonna effect the Progs I already installed

yes u can upgrade but not a direct upgrade...ur gonna have to do a clean install
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

xp will drop off the map gaming wise 1-2 months after windows 7 release mainly because direct x 9.0c will no longer be supported.

aura_enchanted

The Directx 9.0x API will likely continue to be used in games for as long as the X360 console lasts, because most games are multiplatform these days. I honestly can't see many games being released over the next few years that are built from the ground up to use only Directx 10 or 11. So in that sense, I think WinXP will continue for a while yet.

Personally, I'm waiting for Win 7 to become widely available, and then I'll be getting a new PC. Before my gaming rig died a few months ago, I tried out the Win 7 beta and liked it. I just hope that the majority of my game collection will work under the new OS (I didn't get a chance to try them all).

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

[QUOTE="aura_enchanted"]

xp will drop off the map gaming wise 1-2 months after windows 7 release mainly because direct x 9.0c will no longer be supported.

RobertBowen

The Directx 9.0x API will likely continue to be used in games for as long as the X360 console lasts, because most games are multiplatform these days. I honestly can't see many games being released over the next few years that are built from the ground up to use only Directx 10 or 11. So in that sense, I think WinXP will continue for a while yet.

Personally, I'm waiting for Win 7 to become widely available, and then I'll be getting a new PC. Before my gaming rig died a few months ago, I tried out the Win 7 beta and liked it. I just hope that the majority of my game collection will work under the new OS (I didn't get a chance to try them all).

In Windows 7, there is a windows XP mode. So you'll be able to enjoy your games.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

[QUOTE="RobertBowen"]

[QUOTE="aura_enchanted"]

Steameffekt

In Windows 7, there is a windows XP mode. So you'll be able to enjoy your games.

windows xp mode is only for applications dat don't work with windows 7...games won't work
alkaline_DnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 alkaline_DnB
Member since 2006 • 1816 Posts

yeah i'm pretty pissed about it. i bought vista ultimate not even a year ago, and now i have to pay an extra $200+ to upgrade to windows 7 ultimate. BS. i didn't even like vista that much.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Steameffekt"]

[QUOTE="RobertBowen"]

mike4realz

windows xp mode is only for applications dat don't work with windows 7...games won't work

Correct. Windows XP Mode is for applications, and has no support for DirectX or OpenGL.

It is intended for use by businesses that are still using Windows XP for compatibility. That's why it's only included on Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate editions.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I can insure you that even xp will work just fine, as long as the game is not coming from microsoft you dont have to worry about anything.