Thinking about getting back into PC gaming. Need Some help...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Aim
Member since 2002 • 149 Posts
Is PC gaming still worthwhile? I owned an xbox 360 elite for 2 years and liked the system. I didn't like the FPS games on it though. I played Fear, Half Life Orange Box and others and it always felt like something was missing. I missed downloading the mods, the mouse/keyboard controls and most of the people who played on xbox live were 12 year old brats. I had some great online gaming sessions with the xbox 360 so it wasn't all bad. I sold the system with my big screen tv about 2 years ago. Anyway, so now I'm thinking about getting back into PC gaming. I just bought the psp go a few days ago and I really like it. I figure that I could get my console fix on the Psp go and when I wanted to play some rts and fps games I could jump back into the PC side of things. I also really like the ability to download games from steam and gamespy now. opinions?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I cant think of a reason why not to...

this year alone PC games are crawling in rts games, and more often then not an interresting fps or rpg drops on us ^^

BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts
Well this is the PC gaming forum. Unless some console fanboys jump in here, I don't see anyone telling you getting a new pc or upgrading yours isn't a good idea. Of course if you asked this question in the console forums, they'd probably tell you pc sucks.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Eh, I'm about to get into PC gaming myself (selling my 360, then installing Win7 on my Macbook Pro). The reason I wanted to was to play games like Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike Source, Everquest II, Guild Wars, Supreme Commander 2, and a multitude of others. I would say GO FOR IT! There are still millions and millions of people that game on PCs, it isn't dead or anything, still timeless classics and great games. Go for it. :)

jstamm33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 jstamm33
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts

I did the same thing I played on PC for the longest time. bought a **** 360, but it never felt the same so I sold it bought a new PC and IM BACK! but seriously PC gaming is better because better graphics, gameplay (imo), more online, competative online (if you want it), and just a overall better community.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I am in a similar situation of sort. I started of playing consoles, went to pc, and now was trying to get back into consoles...but just cant. PC gaming is best. At least to me. You should definently go with PC gaming.

sswehrwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sswehrwolf
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

I own a ps3, xbox 360 (Which of course is dead, ty microsoft) and a wii, along with 2 desktops (1 old i use as a backup) (1 new that runs anything out there) and a laptop thats 4 years old.

Been there, done that. I havent even turned on any of my consoles for like 5 months. Anything thats coming out that i have wanted to play, has come out for the PC. If you want to play skill players, you play on the PC. If you want to play a game however you want, graphics, trainers, and for the most part no DLC you have to pay for, you play on the PC.

If you want to get a new system that will play pretty much anything out there at a good clip for 3 years, ive priced some systems lately at around $2800 without monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers. If you want to upgrade components, there are tons of great buys for a budget as well.

Get back into PC gaming man, now is the time if you arent getting hammered by the recession like most people, you still will have to deal with 12 yr olds though, but not even remotely on a scale you do with a console. Life isnt always perfect, but put a round through their head a few times in game, and it makes dealing with them so much easier :)

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

PC gaming is still fantastic, definatly get into it if possible (:

xwolfghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 xwolfghost
Member since 2005 • 6076 Posts
most of the people who played on xbox live were 12 year old brats. Aim
Sadly, the PC isn't much better....or at least most people act like they are 12.
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
2800$ is not what it costs to build a good computer. Don't listen to that number at all... Of course unless you are using a service like alienware, In todays prices the cost for a decent system (no monitor keyboard etc..) is 800 *I built mine from that budget a full year ago, still maxing games). 1000$ from what I have priced together can also get you a lot and can end up helping in the long run (you can use the extra $$$ to get a bigger cpu, dual pci e 16 2.0 slot Mobo, etc...), Services like steam make pc gaming great as well... Steam has some of the best servers (caps to your download limit speed up to 2mb/s from what I have seen), and is a great way to organize friends for games. I am like you in a sense that other than my ps2, my psp is my console fix, PC is everything else, in fact I to sold my 360 1 or 2 years back... don't regret it one bit. Though I will not lie, pc gaming is no longer the cheaper alternative to consoles. Games that have console counterparts are now selling for 60$ so we no longer have only 50$ new games, and with technology improving as quick as it is (we are seeing the 6 core processors coming out in the near future) it does take some money to maintain the status of maxing games. Ultimately the choice is yours. But pc gaming is in great shape.
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I say stick with a 360 and PS3, Pc gaming is becoming annoying with DRM, bad ports and dedicated servers slowly becoming a thing of the past.
dforeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dforeigner
Member since 2009 • 144 Posts

best decision you've ever made

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

The best years IMO for PC gaming were 1997 - 2000 (inclusive), fortunately many of those games still work on todays systems.

There have been a couple great years since, notably 2002 and 2004, but even those years weren't up to the 1997-2000 level IMO.

Unfortunately, in 2001 and thereafter, many developers began focusing on the then new console systems, PS2, Gamecube, and X-Box, before the PC's. Still, consoles don't have the quality RTS, western RPG's, and mouse-and-keyboard FPS games that the PC enjoys. Also, PC modding is a huge bonus. But so many games feel compromised for the consoles now IMO.

Thank God for Valve and Blizzard.

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
Is PC gaming still worthwhile? I owned an xbox 360 elite for 2 years and liked the system. I didn't like the FPS games on it though. I played Fear, Half Life Orange Box and others and it always felt like something was missing. I missed downloading the mods, the mouse/keyboard controls and most of the people who played on xbox live were 12 year old brats. I had some great online gaming sessions with the xbox 360 so it wasn't all bad. I sold the system with my big screen tv about 2 years ago. Anyway, so now I'm thinking about getting back into PC gaming. I just bought the psp go a few days ago and I really like it. I figure that I could get my console fix on the Psp go and when I wanted to play some rts and fps games I could jump back into the PC side of things. I also really like the ability to download games from steam and gamespy now. opinions? Aim
Yeah Steam is much better than Xbox live :D. FPS were born on the PC and the best FPS experience is on the PC :P
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I say stick with a 360 and PS3, Pc gaming is becoming annoying with DRM, bad ports and dedicated servers slowly becoming a thing of the past. couly
Because MW 2 didn't have dedicated servers?I didn't know the world changes because of one game. But I agree the DRM will get worse but only some like Ubisoft will be stupid enough to go so far as for ports, there are good and bad ports just as before,

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
[QUOTE="Aim"]most of the people who played on xbox live were 12 year old brats. xwolfghost
Sadly, the PC isn't much better....or at least most people act like they are 12.

are you kidding? PC Gamers are so much more mature than the 12 year olds on XBOX Live :P
Phrozen621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phrozen621
Member since 2010 • 51 Posts

PC games have 1000 times more versatility than console games in things like RTS and RPG, but the FPS are probably equal IMO. Doesn't make the games on console bad games, but just PC with a keyboard and mouse can control way more stuff than a console can.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Is PC gaming still worthwhile? Aim
What do you think people here will answer? This is a PC Games board, everyone here lives and breaths PC gaming.
Pirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirson
Member since 2006 • 297 Posts

Did someone say PC gaming?:D

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
Best decision. You don't have to spend a fortune on a PC, you just need to buy the right stuff. The entry barrier is a little high, but you don't need to be too concerned. If you have basic idea of computer hardware, you can build yourself a computer just fine. Games are cheap, communities are better, and most of all, they play better on the PC.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Get Killing Floor on Steam. Ridiculously fun game.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Me. personally, can not enjoy pc gaming without having state of the art equipment. People here say you can get by cheap, but i would not recomment that avenue. If you are building a new pc, go for broke...get the best parts you can get. Dont skimp on the cpu or the graphics card, get the lastest and greatest right from day one. After the cost issue is out of the way, you can enjoy some nice gaming on the pc, knowing full well that the games you are playing are the absoulte best they can be. For me, that is the main reason i play games on the pc. But, keep in mind a vast majority of new games for pc are the same games you would be playing on consoles...i dont think the actual game experience is all that much different.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Is PC gaming still worthwhile?Aim

Not trying to be annoying. But if you ask me, every year it worths less. For example we get games like assasin creed 2 with excessive drm and high price tag. We lose dedicated servers and upcoming games have pretty high requirements (like metro 2033) when there is no apparent reason that they should, since the game looks about the same on the consoles, its not like the game is gonna have far superior graphics than the console version, better? Yes but not that good that it will require so much to play at the same settings as the console version.

As another user has said "game developers are screwing pc too much"

The question is, if you enjoy the control on the pc and wherever you wanna spent alot of cash to play on very high graphics or if you want a cheap rig just to play the games without amazing graphics. Or if you wanna use mods. However i have to admit that modding is not that strong as it used to be in the past. Wherever you use mods or not, clearly depends on wherever the game has modding capabilities and how many modders bother with the game.

In conclusion, if you play console multiplatform games, you might end up having a less bothersome and cheaper experiance on a console, if you have some specific games in mind then yes you should get on the pc. But there is nothing really hapenning right now that screams "get to the pc gaming" What i am trying to say is that pc gaming is not at its best right now. What exactly you have in mind and we will tell you what you will find on pc right now. Pc is not a console, it has various and complicated ways to have fun. ;)

sswehrwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sswehrwolf
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

2800$ is not what it costs to build a good computer. Don't listen to that number at all... Of course unless you are using a service like alienware, In todays prices the cost for a decent system (no monitor keyboard etc..) is 800 *I built mine from that budget a full year ago, still maxing games). 1000$ from what I have priced together can also get you a lot and can end up helping in the long run (you can use the extra $$$ to get a bigger cpu, dual pci e 16 2.0 slot Mobo, etc...)IvanElk

I wouldnt recommend alienware to my worst enemy. I spit on that entire company.

But i did say 3 years at a good clip. No upgrades needed. After 3 years, just replace the video card, yer good for another 2-3 easily. Im also a bit more eccentric in my system building as well. I triple the memory, get the top of the line CPU, a mobo that WILL be able to be upgraded in 3 years, which means usually the SOB is like $300 just by itself since its usually one of the newest. I also stick with quality hardware. Corsair mem, asus mobo's. Intel cpu's, XFX video cards, Hitachi HDD's, etc. You also have to consider the size in video games, so you get a large capacity HDD. If yer a gamer you probably like music and movies as well, need lots of space if you get them from the net. Also the case is important, but tailored to each of our styles. I love my COSMOS S case, SOB is $300 still, but for complete ease of use for upgrading anything, even though its heavy as a mofo, its got basically roll bars which make great handles to move it and carry it around. Either way, i was running crysis at 54FPS at max resolution, and max graphics, when the game came out. Reviewers werent running it anything more than 60-65fps back then with better hardware on a 7k machine. Just as an example.

Regardless, for 2800 you wont have to upgrade a damned thing for atleast 3 years, course thats with the warranty. I bought my first system from a vendor 2 years ago, i used AVADIRECT. before then, i built everything since 1992 from buying the components about every 18 months to 2 years. It was costing me a lot more doing that, or upgrading pieces over the same amount of time.

But its a figure to look at regardless.