Thinking about changing my CPU/MOBO, question.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

If I change my cpu/mobo, does that mean that when i will reinstall windows/office it will take a liscence ? How many liscence does windows 7/office 2000 comes with ?

And you can see in my sig my current rig, do you think it's worth to upgrade to a I5 3570 with an ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE ?

Thanks guys.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

If I change my cpu/mobo, does that mean that when i will reinstall windows/office it will take a liscence ? How many liscence does windows 7/office 2000 comes with ?

And you can see in my sig my current rig, do you think it's worth to upgrade to a I5 3570 with an ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE ?

Thanks guys.

jack00

itd be aight i guess if your board has compatibility with am3+ cpu's you could get an fx-8350 and save some money.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jack00
Nah i'm going back to intel, I was a little bit disappointed with Amd's processor with the phenom II, it was good for a short period of time but it's not delivering anymore. And what about my first question, I swear I asked it like 3 times here and nobody ever gave me an answer...
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Once you change out the cpu/mobo yes you will to re-install windows. Phenom 2's still do the job just fine once their beyond 3.2 ghz. You should overclock that X6 and forget about upgrading for at least another year.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jack00
I've never been much for overclocking, in fact I don't because I don't want to over use the component for speeds who are not intended.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
I've never been much for overclocking, in fact I don't because I don't want to over use the component for speeds who are not intended. jack00
Thats an excuse, Running a cpu faster then it was set by the manufacturer is not something to be scared of. What do you think cpu companies do with one cpu from another cpu only has 100-200mhz difference?. You can overclock without touching the voltage.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

these days its easier then ever to OC (as long as ur responsible). most motherboards ahve a utility u can download, and all you do is grab the slider and move it a few % at a time. if your fan or heatsink is a nice size, u can move the slider more and more. a few % is safe, more then 7 or 8% with only stock cooling and ur asking for trouble.

djdarkforces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 djdarkforces
Member since 2009 • 812 Posts

you can go to intel but dont expect to see a i big performance increse in games over your AMD Phenom II 1055T, tho

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
No you will get away with not reinstalling. I have a blog post about how I changed everything on my PC apart from the case and HDD and it never required a reinstall.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

stick with it, not worth upgrading at this point. Just grind out your phenom II until performance is unacceptable. For now buy a cooler and OC like mad.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
No you will get away with not reinstalling. I have a blog post about how I changed everything on my PC apart from the case and HDD and it never required a reinstall.JohnF111
It depends on the chipset. I've seen computers change motherboards and not requiring a re-install, and other configurations BSOD with new hardware. I always reinstall when I upgrade anyway.
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]No you will get away with not reinstalling. I have a blog post about how I changed everything on my PC apart from the case and HDD and it never required a reinstall.FelipeInside
It depends on the chipset. I've seen computers change motherboards and not requiring a re-install, and other configurations BSOD with new hardware. I always reinstall when I upgrade anyway.

When you re install can you use the same key?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]No you will get away with not reinstalling. I have a blog post about how I changed everything on my PC apart from the case and HDD and it never required a reinstall.KABCOOL

When you re install can you use the same key?

Yes and No.

Most of the time it will complain that the key has been activated already, sometimes it will just activate online.

If not you will be prompted to do the Telephone Method, and if you speak with a MS representative, just tell them you had to reinstall cause of a virus (DO NOT MENTION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES that you have new motherboard etc)

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"]No you will get away with not reinstalling. I have a blog post about how I changed everything on my PC apart from the case and HDD and it never required a reinstall.FelipeInside

Mine was entirely different boards, chipsets totally different, all that happened was I put it all together and booted up, it then ran everything in heavy compatibility and gave out a bunch of errors but as soon as I cleared the errors it went about installing the new hardware. I suppose you're right there will never be 100% certainty of a yes or no.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]No you will get away with not reinstalling. I have a blog post about how I changed everything on my PC apart from the case and HDD and it never required a reinstall.JohnF111

Mine was entirely different boards, chipsets totally different, all that happened was I put it all together and booted up, it then ran everything in heavy compatibility and gave out a bunch of errors but as soon as I cleared the errors it went about installing the new hardware. I suppose you're right there will never be 100% certainty of a yes or no.

Awesome, u were very lucky that everything worked. Normally it will give u blue screens or lockups. Windows 7 does a much better job than XP though.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JohnF111
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] It depends on the chipset. I've seen computers change motherboards and not requiring a re-install, and other configurations BSOD with new hardware. I always reinstall when I upgrade anyway.

Awesome, u were very lucky that everything worked. Normally it will give u blue screens or lockups. Windows 7 does a much better job than XP though.

I only did it as a "what the hell if it works I saved time, it doesn't I get a clean install" so really there wasn't a downside and yes it was pretty much all down to Windows 7 much better update system. I don't see why it won't work for others though, there's even a windows feature to create a system image designed to work on a broad array of hardware so it definitely wasn't just a fluke.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
^^ I never said it was a fluke. For lots of users it will work fine just like you, for others it won't. You did the right thing with the ""what the hell if it works I saved time, it doesn't I get a clean install" mentality. Personally when I do a big hardware upgrade, I always clean install because there is always something left over.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JohnF111
Yeah I wasn't implying you said it was a fluke :P. Just mentioning that it wasn't, I did a clean install a good 8 months afterwards though, always had that niggling feeling that it just wasn't quite done correctly even though every game and app functioned perfectly fine and as quick as I could have hoped for. I prefer a clean install as well.