Thief Reboot Jumbo Thread - Story Trailer - (56K take a walk)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#101 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

[QUOTE="II-Siamak-II"]

So one thing I would like to know as I never played any Thief game before, is this game going to be first person or third person?

Baranga

First. It may have some transitions to third person, the article isn't clear about that.

I wouldn't mind Deus Ex: HR transaction from first and third person perspective. Can't wait for the game, Thief series are one of the most memorable ones.

Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Bieberfan147
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts
Deus ex new game should be made more like this from these guys
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Going into 3rd person when in 'cover mode', like Rainbow Six Vegas, was HORRIBLE and made the game a joke (along with the health regen)

Sitting behind a wall or something and being able to pan around and scope out the whole scene, while fully protected and unseen, has no place in a Thief game (as it didn't in a supposed tactical shooter) and kills all the tension and difficulty.

Don't know if that's exactly what is being talked about with this one, but with all the other bs that has come out about this game, I wouldn't be surprised, if so.  

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#104 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I dont see any steampunk!  or magic!  or Hammerites or Pagans or Machinists!

I really, really hope they don't remove all the fantasy elements from the game.  Part of the charm of the Thief series is that it took place in the medieval lore we are so familiar with in our educations, yet there were these fringe elements that existed in fantasy.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#105 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

I dont see any steampunk! or magic! or Hammerites or Pagans or Machinists!

I really, really hope they don't remove all the fantasy elements from the game. Part of the charm of the Thief series is that it took place in the medieval lore we are so familiar with in our educations, yet there were these fringe elements that existed in fantasy.

mrbojangles25
They said they want to tone down the magic (hence dry ice arrows rather than water), but they're keeping the steampunk.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#106 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

New blog article 

They've confirmed that you can get through the game without killing - a huge relief.

Although it makes you wonder why they'd go through the effort of improving the combat then.

That said, there are apparently scalable difficulty options! Can't wait to crank it! 

Things are looking up!  

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#107 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] :(chrisrooR

I dont know what you guys are talking about hitman was a good game. The 3d GPS was NO different than the map you had access to in every other hitman. It showed you the same exact things. Yeah the runaway levels were kind of dumb, and breaking it up into smaller parts wasnt the best idea, but it was still as much of a hitman game as previous installments.

I don't know what you're on, but Hitman Absolution sucked f*cking balls.

Other than the "escape levels" and levels being in smaller segments, what was so different about absolution? Still felt like hitman. Different, but still had plenty of moments of brilliance.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#108 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

I dont know what you guys are talking about hitman was a good game. The 3d GPS was NO different than the map you had access to in every other hitman. It showed you the same exact things. Yeah the runaway levels were kind of dumb, and breaking it up into smaller parts wasnt the best idea, but it was still as much of a hitman game as previous installments.

way2funny

Other than the "escape levels" and levels being in smaller segments, what was so different about absolution? Still felt like hitman. Different, but still had plenty of moments of brilliance.

It's not so much the difference. It's the questionable game designs and execution. For one, the disguise system was broken on the "professional" modes. On normal, it's fine, but then again Normal is too easy. If you liked the game despite its flaws, that's good mate. I didn't think it was a bad game. It was decent. I was just a little frustrated by the the design choices and poor A.I. on harder difficulties.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#109 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Looks like a new age Deadly Shadows. I hope they don't mess it up.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

way2funny

They stuffed up some crucial design elements, specifically the AI and the disguise system. Enemies can see through your disguise from across the street but are too dumb to realise you killed someone with a trap when you're standing right next to the switch. The save system and pacing are broken too. Relying on a checkpoint system is very annoying when you have to sit through long, long conversations between guards each time you fail.
Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Bieberfan147
Can't wait to call of duty one man army my way through these levels
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 biggest_loser

If anyone wants to ask the developers a question you can go here and sign up with Game Informer. I posted mine already:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/19/ask-us-your-thief-questions.aspx?CommentPosted=true&SortOrder=desc&PageIndex=1

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#113 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I can't help but get excited about this game even if it's way too early. Video games like Thief, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, and even new Tomb Raider challenge the video game industry. Thanks to publishers like Take-Two and Square Enix continue to place their trust in these awesome developers. I'll continue to support them with my wallet.
NuclearFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 NuclearFlower
Member since 2010 • 575 Posts

is it pure stealth or can we defend ourselves like in Dishonoured?KodiakKoolaid
Why would you even allow yourself to get in a position to where you have to defend yourself ina game like this? Honestly, if you're playing something like Thief, I don't see how you'd let yourself get detected at all. That just ruins it.

"allowing players to enter combat if they want"

This is what is wrong with 'stealth' games these days. If someone wants to enter combat, why are they playing a goddamn Thief game? Devs shouldn't pander to them like that. Dishonored makes sense because you're this magical assassin (still I always go full stealth in that game), but Garret is just a thief...not a ****ing homicidal ninja warrior. I miss when stealth games punished you for being caught.

I just hope this game turns out to be great, and they don't totally gimp the stealth and what made the originals so good.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 biggest_loser
I can't help but get excited about this game even if it's way too early. Video games like Thief, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, and even new Tomb Raider challenge the video game industry. Thanks to publishers like Take-Two and Square Enix continue to place their trust in these awesome developers. I'll continue to support them with my wallet.Elann2008
How does Tomb Raider challenge the video game industry?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 biggest_loser

Here's a new blog specifically about the Focus mode. 

Its good that its said to be optional. Although the key word in this article is "presently" which could mean changes closer to the release date. I cringe whenever they mention combat and being able to further enhance that. Call me old fashioned but It still doesn't make sense to me. 

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 BrunoBRS

Here's a new blog specifically about the Focus mode. 

Its good that its said to be optional. Although the key word in this article is "presently" which could mean changes closer to the release date. I cringe whenever they mention combat and being able to further enhance that. Call me old fashioned but It still doesn't make sense to me. 

biggest_loser
those answers are so vague lol, they don't explain anything.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 biggest_loser

A little bit more information about the camera and the dreaded combat

danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="bussinrounds"]  **** this world

BrunoBRS

I missed that one. Wow. Are they serious?

i think they mean the glowy ball thing from one of the screenshots, which, best case scenario, is just a compass, and worst case scenario is a full fledged 3D GPS.

Well iv only played a theive copy mod called the dark mod for doom 3, a somewhat guidance thingy is needed for some missions, i spent over 5 hours in a single map, hoping you can make custom maps...

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#120 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

"Weve also added an extra layer on top of that to empower the player" 

I don't want to feel empowered in a thief game, or any proper stealth game, it kinda defeats the purpose! I want to feel vulnerable! 

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Well, that's another game casualised. :(

Hopefully the game will have options to turn the casual rubbish off, so I can actually enjoy the game with some challenges.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I feel bad that Thief fans have to experience what Fallout fans went through.  Watching witless hacks destroy one of your favorite games sucks, I know.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] I missed that one. Wow. Are they serious? danygo1996

i think they mean the glowy ball thing from one of the screenshots, which, best case scenario, is just a compass, and worst case scenario is a full fledged 3D GPS.

Well iv only played a theive copy mod called the dark mod for doom 3, a somewhat guidance thingy is needed for some missions, i spent over 5 hours in a single map, hoping you can make custom maps...

In vanilla Thief you rely on scrappy maps with limited colour coding.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 biggest_loser

I feel bad that Thief fans have to experience what Fallout fans went through.  Watching witless hacks destroy one of your favorite games sucks, I know.

-wildflower-

Its stinging badly but I'd still like to see it in action before fully judging it.

I'm holding out for like a hardcore mode that strips the features back to what the original games were like. 

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#125 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Put your hands up if you preordered this already!!
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 BrunoBRS

biggest_loser
these previews are really, really vague lol.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

BrunoBRS
these previews are really, really vague lol.

There's a reason for that. They're hurrying to get information out to calm the storm here because they're aware of the early backlash...and the rumours that there is a rebellion working to bring the game down from the inside!
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I just hope it ends up better than Deus Ex HR, Tomb Raider and Hitman.

Tomb Raider is awful and Deus Ex is a constant downward spiral. I couldn't finish either.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 biggest_loser

Tomb Raider is awful and Deus Ex is a constant downward spiral. I couldn't finish either.

Baranga

That's interesting. What didn't you like about Tomb Raider?? Lets not forget how bad some parts of Absolution are lol! 

NuclearFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 NuclearFlower
Member since 2010 • 575 Posts

Baranga

To each his own. I really like Deux ex: HR. I've beaten it twice and will definitely go for a third. It's so fun ghosting in that game. The only really negative thing about it is the out of place, horrible boss fights.

Absolution was pretty bad, and Tomb Raider was good in my eyes, not amazing but worth playing once.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Baranga

What didn't you like about Tomb Raider??

biggest_loser

tl;dr version: it's Uncharted but sh*t. Everything Uncharted does good, TR does worse. Everything Uncharted does bad, TR does worse.

I hate the enemy waves. Shantytown is one of the worst levels of this generation.

Combat needed to be more like in I Am Alive. Have you played that game? It's a bit contrieved but it does the whole survival-and-exploration shtick infinitely better than TR and most other games.

If only you could talk to the monsters... There's a scene where one enemy tries to initiate dialogue. I was so happy! I actually thought the game will pull a U-turn and the bad guys won't be that bad after all :/

I strongly dislike the tombs. You waste more time walking through buffer areas than solving puzzles ("puzzles") because the game is too cool for loading screens.

The narrative is awful, like everything Rhianna Pratchett writes actually. All the backstory is vague, meaningless crap. The "you're a Croft moment!" falls flat because I don't actually know what that means. I am not familiar with this franchise - all I know about old Lara is that she's a sarcastic rich girl doing stuff for fun, and I may be wrong about the second part. The reboot assumes I am familiar with the character because it doesn't explain anything beyond "her dad was rich and some of the crew knew him". I actually couldn't figure out exactly how well the characters knew each other or Lara's family.

The characters are worse than Far Cry 3's, and that's saying something (I especially hate the magic Polynesian dude). So many dumb decisions are made. Bonus negative points for the cutscenes: shaky, full of SO REAL AND RAW crappy close-ups and bad framing - it's basically what a hipster with director delusions would shoot on his thousand dollar Best Buy camera.

Lara is a bad character. She's stupid. She's bipolar. She's way too noisy. Her internal dialogue bounces between Game Dialogue 101 and meaningless meditations on fate, strength and... whatever. The kind of thoughts a stoned 2nd year philosophy student has at 3 AM. I bet she likes Prometheus.

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned anywhere the awful interface. Have you noticed how many bars, percentages and numbers are on screen - and they're all for the same thing? This game bleeds numbers and stats, and they're all redundant. It's a mess. It says so much, but so little actually matters. Crystal must be overcompensating for the half-assed upgrade system.

I greatly enjoyed the copious amounts of gore and the presence of Vladimir Kulich as Random Enemy Guys. I was sort of curious about the mystery, but eventually the game dragged so much I lost interest.

At least I got a cool steel case and Square has fair prices for my region so I don't feel too ripped off.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 BrunoBRS

Baranga
i thought HR was handled excellently. there are some rough edges on the technical aspect, but everything else felt great.[QUOTE="biggest_loser"] There's a reason for that. They're hurrying to get information out to calm the storm here because they're aware of the early backlash...and the rumours that there is a rebellion working to bring the game down from the inside!

rebellion working to bring the game down from the inside? as in, the devs are sabotaging their own game to spite fans? yeah right. and how is giving overly vague information that can be misinterpreted helping the situation?
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Baranga

i thought HR was handled excellently. there are some rough edges on the technical aspect, but everything else felt great.BrunoBRS

You thought the hubs were great? With all that backtracking? Now I'm not saying the original had great hubs - in fact they were bloody horrible, but that was a decade before HR and we were still in the "coloured lighting is awesome!" era.

The levels of HR never felt like real places. They had a nice coat of paint - I love the busy desks - but the actual layout doesn't make any sense. It's too artificial, too convenient for the player.

Have you noticed that every random NPC talks about augmentations?

It's such a creepy, cold, artificial world. I couldn't buy the illusion.

Furthermore, the game is way too long and the story is way too boring. Look at Alpha Protocol for a proper Dude with Gadgets uncovers Conspiracies, and by the way we can't into Boss Battles game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 biggest_loser

First teaser trailer is out 

The full trailer should be out early next month. 

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

So from what I hear it's going to be like the new Deus Ex in terms of streamlining. I hear they're removing a lot of the fantasy elements in the previous titles which would be a big shame. I enjoyed the Thief series for its personality as much as its stealth-based design. And 3rd person views in cover? I loved Deus Ex HR but it was a complete cakewalk (partly) because of this and the tension you had from peering around corners in the original and not being able to always ensure a clean takedown or the risk of being spotted was gone.

Well I know I'll enjoy the new Thief a lot anyway if it's made similarly to Deus Ex (minus the bosses), retains what made Thief great - which wasn't just the stealth - and doesn't go overboard on the combat, I don't want to feel like God halfway through the game and be able to knock out or kill guard with my eyes closed...to be honest you had this issue in the old Deus Ex if you maxed guns.

Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Bieberfan147
i hope they can make me feel like rambo in this one like im a one man army like in cod
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 biggest_loser

There's a podcast here with the developers answering some fan questions. 

At one point he addresses Garrett's hideout being decorated. It won't be fully customisable like AC but he says you'll be able to see the things you've stolen around the room. 

This is very interesting. Does that mean that they're scrapping selling goods and buying tools from the money you earned on the job. That's the impression I got if you're keeping the loot.

There will NOT be competitive multiplayer, but he does say there will be some online function, presumably like a leader board or something, so nothing major. 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#138 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

What didn't you like about Tomb Raider??

Baranga

tl;dr version: it's Uncharted but sh*t. Everything Uncharted does good, TR does worse. Everything Uncharted does bad, TR does worse.

I hate the enemy waves. Shantytown is one of the worst levels of this generation.

Combat needed to be more like in I Am Alive. Have you played that game? It's a bit contrieved but it does the whole survival-and-exploration shtick infinitely better than TR and most other games.

If only you could talk to the monsters... There's a scene where one enemy tries to initiate dialogue. I was so happy! I actually thought the game will pull a U-turn and the bad guys won't be that bad after all :/

I strongly dislike the tombs. You waste more time walking through buffer areas than solving puzzles ("puzzles") because the game is too cool for loading screens.

The narrative is awful, like everything Rhianna Pratchett writes actually. All the backstory is vague, meaningless crap. The "you're a Croft moment!" falls flat because I don't actually know what that means. I am not familiar with this franchise - all I know about old Lara is that she's a sarcastic rich girl doing stuff for fun, and I may be wrong about the second part. The reboot assumes I am familiar with the character because it doesn't explain anything beyond "her dad was rich and some of the crew knew him". I actually couldn't figure out exactly how well the characters knew each other or Lara's family.

The characters are worse than Far Cry 3's, and that's saying something (I especially hate the magic Polynesian dude). So many dumb decisions are made. Bonus negative points for the cutscenes: shaky, full of SO REAL AND RAW crappy close-ups and bad framing - it's basically what a hipster with director delusions would shoot on his thousand dollar Best Buy camera.

Lara is a bad character. She's stupid. She's bipolar. She's way too noisy. Her internal dialogue bounces between Game Dialogue 101 and meaningless meditations on fate, strength and... whatever. The kind of thoughts a stoned 2nd year philosophy student has at 3 AM. I bet she likes Prometheus.

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned anywhere the awful interface. Have you noticed how many bars, percentages and numbers are on screen - and they're all for the same thing? This game bleeds numbers and stats, and they're all redundant. It's a mess. It says so much, but so little actually matters. Crystal must be overcompensating for the half-assed upgrade system.

I greatly enjoyed the copious amounts of gore and the presence of Vladimir Kulich as Random Enemy Guys. I was sort of curious about the mystery, but eventually the game dragged so much I lost interest.

At least I got a cool steel case and Square has fair prices for my region so I don't feel too ripped off.

A scathing, but well written review. Thumbs up!

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

-wildflower-

I know it's a different genre, but with all this incline coming regarding RPGs (Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, new Torment, Chaos Chronicles, Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns, Grimoire, Dead State..)  It makes crap like this alot easier to take now.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 BrunoBRS

biggest_loser
ouch. putting candles out like that must hurt.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

BrunoBRS
ouch. putting candles out like that must hurt.

lick your fingers first. It doesnt hurt at all.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 biggest_loser

Here is the leaked teaser trailer

Looks as though Stephen Russell won't be voicing Garrett :(

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

yeeeees

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#144 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I've never heard of this series until now. I may have to pick this up if I think it looks good! :D

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

-wildflower-

Fallout fans got the bigger shaft. I still don't know what thief fans are complaining about.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 BrunoBRS

biggest_loser
don't mind the new VA, he sounds good. trailer seems to be indicating that the game's going in the right direction. also lol they stole Monaco's subtitle, "what's yours is mine" :P
C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

BrunoBRS

don't mind the new VA, he sounds good. trailer seems to be indicating that the game's going in the right direction. also lol they stole Monaco's subtitle, "what's yours is mine" :P

It just isn't the same, the old guy who did garrete has a ton of charisma, and his voice is pretty much the real face of garrett. I have no idea why developers feel the need to change something that's not broken, they did it with starcraft 2, and now this? I really don't get it.

The new voice is pretty much an action-hero voice, old voice was a thief, with a ton of personality.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

C_Glass

It just isn't the same, the old guy who did garrete has a ton of charisma, and his voice is pretty much the real face of garrett. I have no idea why developers feel the need to change something that's not broken, they did it with starcraft 2, and now this? I really don't get it.

The new voice is pretty much an action-hero voice, old voice was a thief, with a ton of personality.

if you say so. complaining about it won't change it though. and his voice isn't gruff enough to be an action hero. the dude sounds sly, and i think that suits garrett.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

New trailer being pure CGI doesnt really give away much. It should be good though. I have faith in squeenix. They did right by me with Deus Ex and TombRaider. I know some purists didnt like Thief 3 but that was also probably my favourite game of that era. I played it multiple times.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 biggest_loser

The developers explain (badly) why Stephen Russell won't be in the game 

"Yes. And to answer your question directly, the actor playing Garrett needed to be able to perform his own stunts. Garretts a really athletic guy. We could have pasted Stephens voice on top of the actions and stunts of someone else, but this wouldnt appear natural. It really wouldnt make any sense to capture the full performance for our other characters, but not for our star." 

This was my reply on Facebook: 

"The actor playing Garrett needed to be able to perform his own stunts." What stunts though? Its not like he's going to be doing cartwheels (I hope). The brilliance of Russell's voice is that he matches the silkiness of Garrett's quiet movements. When you're sneaking around thats all thats needed - assuming this is still a sneaking game as we've been told. This is a mistake and that Connery line is ridiculous. Its more than nostalgia - its about retaining the essence of the game as much as the character.