Thief is on sale on STEAM for $45...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

It's been on sale on STEAM for a while but just wanted to let you guys know because it comes out on Tuesday.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I've been guilty of pre-ordering in the past, but looking back - I don't see the point. You can save 10-25%, sure that's great, but if the game is crap, does it matter if you saved money? You'd save 100% off a crappy game if you'd just wait to see how the game truly is.

Especially with all the mixed previews the new Thief has gotten, I wouldn't recommend anyone pre-ordering it.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BSC14

@Cwagmire21 said:

I've been guilty of pre-ordering in the past, but looking back - I don't see the point. You can save 10-25%, sure that's great, but if the game is crap, does it matter if you saved money? You'd save 100% off a crappy game if you'd just wait to see how the game truly is.

Especially with all the mixed previews the new Thief has gotten, I wouldn't recommend anyone pre-ordering it.

I have heard nothing bad about it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It is cheaper on Green Man Gaming and Cd Key House for those who care

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BSC14

@kozzy1234 said:

Green Man is the same price but CD key is $33.99. Man that's cheap, is that place legitimate?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19562 Posts

The game has already leaked on the PS4, and early impressions are far worse than any of the haters could have imagined.

Here's a fun neogaf thread full of people responding to the AI/dialogue/missiong design/etc.: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772097

I've just cancelled my pre-order. Bugger it.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BSC14

I'll wait and see what the reviews say. If it is that bad then in will drop in price really quick but I'm not convinced they are playing the finished version.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Watching a stream on twitch right now.

Wow, the peep holes in the walls are so blatant and copy&paste, looks like they hired a amateur modder to design them. Also why so many of them? lol

Plus the dialogue and voice acting rofl, same loop over and over.

I may be wrong but this game looks horrible so far.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BSC14

@DefconRave said:

Wow, the peep holes in the walls are so blatant and copy&paste, looks like they hired a amateur modder to design them. Also why so many of them? lol

peephole models and voice looping is really going to bother you that much?

What are they supposed to do record hours of conversation for every single npc?

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@DefconRave said:

peephole models and voice looping is really going to bother you that much?

What are they supposed to do record hours of conversation for every single npc?

Not only those things, but it highlights lazy design.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BSC14

I still have not bought it...probably wait for reviews and opinions from people here.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:
@DefconRave said:

let me take a wild guess.

Titanfall interests you

and what if it does?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@kozzy1234 said:

Green Man is the same price but CD key is $33.99. Man that's cheap, is that place legitimate?

Incorrect. With GMG, you get an ADDITIONAL 25% off the $44.99 price tag.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BSC14

@Elann2008 said:

@BSC14 said:

@kozzy1234 said:

Incorrect. With GMG, you get an ADDITIONAL 25% off the $44.99 price tag.

I must have missed that.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

@BSC14: No they had a 20% or 25% off code the other day, I got it for $33 on GMG, then I had a $6 credit which I used so it went to $27. Not expecting alot from this game, but I feel like a stealth game, got a few giftcards for my bday and saw the GMG price so thought I would give it a go :)

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

Neogaf hates it? I'm getting it for sure!

Seriously, though, neogaf is filled with morons.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@SEANMCAD said:
@DefconRave said:

let me take a wild guess.

Titanfall interests you

and what if it does?

Because Titanfall is the game to hate right now.

Gotta love our fellow "hipster" gamers on GS!

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BSC14

I'm looking forward to reviews.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BSC14

This might be total bs but...

http://i.imgur.com/WAUj7Bf.png

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I don't think the game's bad based on what I have seen but it's still not enough to buy it now. I'll wait maybe for a year until I find it on a great steam deal.

SgtSutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SgtSutton
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts

I don't think I'll trust a review based on a leaked copy. Lots of potential problems there. But I did hold off on a preorder, I have a bad feeling about this game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Planeforger said:

The game has already leaked on the PS4, and early impressions are far worse than any of the haters could have imagined.

Here's a fun neogaf thread full of people responding to the AI/dialogue/missiong design/etc.: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772097

I've seen this thread. I hope you realize that the Neogaf forums are populated with hardcore, elitist snobs. I've never seen such bitching and whining in my life. I read the thread as well, and by the way they were talking about it, "the whores!! The repeateded audio!! The physics! The stair slide! Waaahhhh!!!" you'd get the impression that it's the next Superman 64. When I watched the Stream, from what people in the thread were saying, I was expecting MUCH worse. It wasn't perfect, but it also was far from terrible. The overall degree of negativity is insane, as is how many are proclaiming to cancel their pre-order without having even tried it themselves.

I pity these people, they need to think for themselves and give it a good faith effort, and that ain't possible until it releases. It may turn out to be bad, horrible even, but to jump on the hate bandwagon and already dismiss it based on a stream is stupid. People have been salivating to shit on this game since the day they saw the first screenshot. People want to hate it, and it being a successor to one of the greatest PC franchises ever is the reason. And when they see even the slightest suspicion or indication of imperfection or that it's not measuring up, even if it's one thing (and every game has flaws), then in their eyes the ENTIRE game sucks, is for the casual sheep, etc etc, and is immediately relegated to the bargain bin.

Ridiculous. It amazes me how so many can just toss a game out the window from watching a simple stream.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I am going with my gut and waiting... I haven't heard much talk about the game from people that have played it so it may be bold to take that as a bad sign but the silence is there for a reason in my opinion.

Either way I'll get it to give it a shot my self. Really hope its good.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BSC14

@MirkoS77 said:

@Planeforger said:

I've seen this thread. I hope you realize that the Neogaf forums are populated with hardcore, elitist snobs. I've never seen such bitching and whining in my life. I read the thread as well, and by the way they were talking about it, "the whores!! The repeateded audio!! The physics! The stair slide! Waaahhhh!!!" you'd get the impression that it's the next Superman 64. When I watched the Stream, from what people in the thread were saying, I was expecting MUCH worse. It wasn't perfect, but it also was far from terrible. The overall degree of negativity is insane, as is how many are proclaiming to cancel their pre-order without having even tried it themselves.

I pity these people, they need to think for themselves and give it a good faith effort, and that ain't possible until it releases. It may turn out to be bad, horrible even, but to jump on the hate bandwagon and already dismiss it based on a stream is stupid. People have been salivating to shit on this game since the day they saw the first screenshot. People want to hate it, and it being a successor to one of the greatest PC franchises ever is the reason. And when they see even the slightest suspicion or indication of imperfection or that it's not measuring up, even if it's one thing (and every game has flaws), then in their eyes the ENTIRE game sucks, is for the casual sheep, etc etc, and is immediately relegated to the bargain bin.

Ridiculous. It amazes me how so many can just toss a game out the window from watching a simple stream.

Could not agree more. This is one of the things I don't like about the pc gaming community in general. They have this high horse of nostalgia they sit on where nothing will make them happy. If a sequel deviates from the original in any way they bitch about it not being "true" to the series but if nothing is changed they bitch that it's just a copy / paste job and not innovative enough.

In this case they tried to make it innovative enough that non stealth players would also enjoy it WITH options to turn all of that stuff off if you prefer old school style Thief.

And what's the communities response..... "&^*) that, they are catering to the noobs". As if having options is a terrible thing...freaking unbelievable. As if giving others an option to play different than you would ruin your game experience.

Can't make them happy....

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Probably because of the reviews and complaints. I know I won't be getting it, sadly.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@Planeforger said:

Could not agree more. This is one of the things I don't like about the pc gaming community in general. They have this high horse of nostalgia they sit on where nothing will make them happy. If a sequel deviates from the original in any way they bitch about it not being "true" to the series but if nothing is changed they bitch that it's just a copy / paste job and not innovative enough.

In this case they tried to make it innovative enough that non stealth players would also enjoy it WITH options to turn all of that stuff off if you prefer old school style Thief.

And what's the communities response..... "&^*) that, they are catering to the noobs". As if having options is a terrible thing...freaking unbelievable. As if giving others an option to play different than you would ruin your game experience.

Can't make them happy....

Seriously, it's nuts. I've seen some bad PR for games before, but I think Thief easily takes the cake for the greatest animosity pre-release that I've ever seen. I've watched videos of the prologue, and the game honestly looks perfectly playable and quite enjoyable. Now reviews are arriving, and many of the pros are saying that the AI is actually pretty darn good, and that the stealth mechanics work well.

Great! That's why I play Thief. Apparently the levels are linear as was feared, and that's a disappointment, and the plot and ending leave something to be desired but neither of these were really all that great in the originals. Watching the vids, I love the atmosphere. They nailed it, and I love the full-body awareness. I'm getting this basically for free anyway, so I'll enjoy it regardless, but again, it's incredible to me how much negativity this has garnered when it's not even out yet.

I'm going to enjoy this for what it is. I can't help but wonder what these reviews would be like if it didn't have the "Thief" name held to it.