They're making a Legacy of Kain MMO called Nosgoth!!!???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ornjlightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ornjlightning
Member since 2010 • 455 Posts

What do you all think about this Nosgoth MMO? I don't have time to write about it right now, but I want to know what you all think. Most people think it's going to be a horrible tarnish on the brilliant Legacy of Kain series.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nosgoth

That's the Nosgoth channel. It's an MMO focused on teamwork where you can choose from the humans or any of the 6 vampire factions fighting in the war between humans and vampires. It fits within the timeline of the series, but it's a strange move to make.

Don't have time. I'll write more later. But I'm sure you can find it on youtube.

gunit3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 gunit3000
Member since 2004 • 360 Posts

I played those games for the atmosphere, story and narrative. I'll probably won't be touching this game.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

TBH I'd wish another good game such as Soul River Legacy of Kain or Blood Omen; Defiance was ok in terms of gameplay but the storyline didn't attract me that much and the atmosphere was doll.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Not interested. The things I liked about those games are'nt usually the strong points of mmos.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

looks interesting, hopefully the combat is done right

Ornjlightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ornjlightning

I had the same initial reaction too. It's a complete curve ball that no one wanted or expected. Although it does make sense within the context of the history, it's still a questionable decision to put different ingredients in the Legacy of Kain brew. It doesn't seem to be aimed at the original fans of the game because it doesn't bare almost any story references besides pointing out war. The only reason that makes sense to me is to bring in new people that have never heard of the series before. And since the history has room for a game that hits that demographic, it isn't such a preposterous business move.

I'm no expert on MMO's, but having seen some of the videos, it does look interesting. They contrast the difference between humans and vampires well. Playing as a vampire looks kind of like a mix between Prince of Persia and God of War, except from a Star Wars battlefront angle and style, but more simplistic. The only thing that really bugs me is the Razielim and their wings. It's a missed oppurtunity to explain what happened to the Razielim, and I'm not even sure if the Razielim having wings at all makes sense, considering what happened.

Truthfully, I think it looks fun so far. But it's nevertheless strange to throw this type of game into the mix when before the focus was on thought provoking story, puzzle solving, exploration, and the unique method of fighting strange foes. To make an MMO now after they canceled Dark Prophecy is almost feels like a betrayal or sellout. To be far though, we don't know why Dark Prophecy was canceled. It may have been funding, or maybe the developers didn't think there was enough interest in the series or type of game anymore. But supporting this MMO might restore enough interest and rake in enough money to make the sequel everyone really wanted.

Or maybe it's more convoluted than that. We're dealing with some smart people here. I think they would have known how these things would have come across, so maybe they did it on purpose for some other reason we don't know about yet. Maybe they didn't like what they had so far and wanted to start again later, but in secrecy. Maybe they wanted to generate interest in the series again with a game like this MMO before releasing the last title, so they could end with a bang. It could be more complicated than it's surface value.

In any event, I'll be watching this one. It's the kind of thing that I don't think should be dismissed right off because of first impressions. It's just in the beta anyway. I share the confusion and agitation, but I'm not ready to write it off as bad as for the series or bad as a stand alone game yet.

Ornjlightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ornjlightning

@MlauTheDaft - Agreed. To be far though, this game probably won't focus on the story because we already know what it is. It's about the the war between humans and vampires, which we already know happened, why it happened, and it's outcome. Not to say they couldn't add to it, but it isn't exactly necessary for the game.

@PredatorRules e I liked Defiance for all those things. :D But it's a matter of preference I suppose. Although I do think there were sections that droned on a little too long in the spectral realm or didn't have enough hints as to how to proceed.

@JigglyWiggly_ - I think it's looking promising so far. The difference between humans, vampires, and all the clans is high. Humans look quick in moving and tactical with long range specialized weapons. Like in the video, humans make weapons, but vampires are weapons. They have unique supernatural melee abilities. It's set during the human vs vampire war when the vampires are just beginning to devolve. In other words, each vampire clan plays very differently because they all devolve in different ways. It looks pretty interesting. Pick the vampires, and you might be able to fly, bull rush, etc. depending on the clan, where humans have different weapons. I think they copied the feel well. Humans look like, well, humans, and vampires look supernatural in an aggressive and brutal kind of way. From watching the video, it looks like the contrast really emulates the emotion of being on either side well.

http://forums.na.square-enix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=8329&p=75349#post75349

That's were the discussion is going down. The first one is the general board of threads and the second is a thread that has some possible explanations for the Razielim. It's interesting, but the current explanations seem kind of like quick fixes. It says there will be more information on things in the next phase.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It looks interesting. I wouldn't count it out just yet. It could be a fun experience.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed Soul Reaver and Defiance, so I'm definitely going to check this out...