Thermal paste: Spreading vs squashing with heatsink

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Installing
Member since 2010 • 678 Posts

Usually I spread an ultra thin even layer of thermal paste on the CPU and an even thinner (translucent) layer on the heatsink. Then install the heatsink.

Many people say however that a better technique is to dab a small amount on the CPU and then squash it down with he heatsink.

I just tried this twice with mixed results as a test. The first time I used a "pea sized amount," which was obviously too much as it spread out from the sides a little.

Next I tried a "grain of rice amount." This worked better but it didn't spread as evenly as I hoped and still was perhaps a little too much.

I realise that perhaps the squashing technique eliminates more possible air bubbles between the paste and the CPU, but considering how difficult it is to judge how much thermal paste to use in order to cover most of the CPU but not too much, I am surprised that this is commonly suggested (particularly to people who have never installed a heatsink before, and are very likely to use too much paste.)

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

When using heatsinks with direct contact pipes I tend to spread an ultra thin ammount directly to the heatsink to fill the small gaps between the pipes.

Then I place an ammount the size of a BB or slightly larger directly in the center of the processor and place the heatsink on top. It might not be the best method, but I'm OC'd and my temps are good so something is working.

saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts
I used the dab and squish method when installing my heatsink and I am almost positive I used too much. The problem is that no one can give you a straight answer when you ask "What's the best method?" I want to attempt reseating my heatsink and applying a little less paste, but I don't know if it's worth it unless I could get a definitive opinion on a decent way to do it.
Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Installing

Then I place an ammount the size of a BB or slightly larger directly in the center of the processor and place the heatsink on top.

tequilasunriser

See I'd like to do this. And perhaps it is a good way, but from the testing I just did with 2 different amounts of paste (one a tiny, tiny amount,) I'm just not convinced it is the best method.

At least with spreading the paste thinly (at least in my experience) I've never removed the heatsink later to discover that I used too much (or that the coat was uneven.)

It is worrying though about possible pockets of air with the spreading technique however.

Since many might get good temperatures with squashing the paste I'm wondering if this method could actually be better (regardless of the messier, unnervingly spread coating it can leave on the CPU

Installing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Installing

I used the dab and squish method when installing my heatsink and I am almost positive I used too much. The problem is that no one can give you a straight answer when you ask "What's the best method?"saruman354

I know the feeling. There is a lot of disagreement on the subject.

I tried (as I said before) to use a "grain of rice" amount with the squashing technique. In fact, I would say it was even smaller than a grain of rice.

I still think it was a little too much though. It wasn't very pretty when I removed the heatsink to take a look either (at least, I would be able to spread to way better than that myself.)

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I just put I tiny amount on the middle of my CPUs heat spreader and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it, easy and my temps are good.
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
I used the dab and squish method when installing my heatsink and I am almost positive I used too much. The problem is that no one can give you a straight answer when you ask "What's the best method?" I want to attempt reseating my heatsink and applying a little less paste, but I don't know if it's worth it unless I could get a definitive opinion on a decent way to do it.saruman354
no one can say what the correct method is as it depends on the CPU: http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html
Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

I tend to apply a thin layer all over. Temps in the pc's ive done that in are good, so i'm not bothered. If your temps are fine then the jobs a good'un

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
I just put I tiny amount on the middle of my CPUs heat spreader and let the pressure of the heatsink spread it, easy and my temps are good.PernicioEnigma
Same here, works well too.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I wrap a sandwich bag around my index finger and spread it out, works a lot better than squishing for me, which is too much trial and error
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Spreading gives better coverage, but squashing can potentially have less tiny air pockets in the center depending on the paste that you use. I spread the paste on my CPU's to avoid missing the corners...
Smoke89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Smoke89
Member since 2003 • 3575 Posts

I have tried, tested, and OC'd using pretty much every method. AS5 has a guide that recommends using a vertical line for quad-core CPUs such as the i7. I have done the pea/bb dot, self spreading it on the CPU, vertical line, and horizontal line on both my i7 960 using a NH-D14 and an older X6800 using a therm. frio. Every method (after a good break-in period) ended up being almost identical. As long as you do each of these right and know how much paste to use ur gonna get the same result...

Just do what you find to be the easiest.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
Spreading gives better coverage, but squashing can potentially have less tiny air pockets in the center depending on the paste that you use. I spread the paste on my CPU's to avoid missing the corners...-GeordiLaForge-
Same here.
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

The chance of getting a air pocket is increased with spreading. Also, Getting all the corners is not needed, Many great heatsinks only contact roughly 75% of the heat spreader anyways!

With that said, what ever floats your boat, both ways work just fine.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]Spreading gives better coverage, but squashing can potentially have less tiny air pockets in the center depending on the paste that you use. I spread the paste on my CPU's to avoid missing the corners...Daytona_178
Same here.

Same here as well
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

i used wat was advised in my manuals, pea-sized dab and then squish, worked well for me.

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

i used wat was advised in my manuals, pea-sized dab and then squish, worked well for me.

BlackDevil99

Agreed - that's what my Noctua's manual said...so that's what I did, and it gives good temps.

It should give a more consistent covering thanks to the pressure, and as long as you place the blob centrally you should be transferring the vast majority of the heat from the heat spreader into the heatsink.

Janus67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Janus67
Member since 2005 • 316 Posts

I have tried, tested, and OC'd using pretty much every method. AS5 has a guide that recommends using a vertical line for quad-core CPUs such as the i7. I have done the pea/bb dot, self spreading it on the CPU, vertical line, and horizontal line on both my i7 960 using a NH-D14 and an older X6800 using a therm. frio. Every method (after a good break-in period) ended up being almost identical. As long as you do each of these right and know how much paste to use ur gonna get the same result...

Just do what you find to be the easiest.

Smoke89

+1, I've done the same and came up with the same results using various TIM.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Been dabbing since '98.