The Witcher 3 too good to be true?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I watch this video from IGN and I cannot help but have my mind blown.  Do you guys really think it will be as good as it looks and sounds?  I am just in awe at the size of the world, detail of the world, and excellent gameplay and graphics and so on.  Apparently there is a ton of stuff to do in an utterly massive world, and everything I have seen thus far shows awe inspiring environments and epic combat.

I just don't quite see how this is possible, but I guess they are that good?  I still need to beat TW1 so I can play 2.  I am thinking I will just rush through it without exploring much.  I hope that style of playing TW1 wont make me miss out on a lot of the lore and characters in TW2 and 3.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

You will get a little bit of insight into TW2 if you play TW1 but its not necessary. You will pretty much understand everything anyway. I say this in case you dont like the style or combat of TW1 and are finding it difficult to play through. Its not to everyones taste, and I dont think you should miss the brilliant sequel because of it. As for TW3 I do believe what CD-Projekt says they'll do because they absolutely delivered on TW2 in my eyes. One of my favourite games ever.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I have faith in this producer.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Well, the same thing happened with Witcher 2. They promised a lot of things that really didn't turn out to be true. W2 was great but it had various issues. Hopefully W3 is the best product of them all.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
W2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I have no doubt with the improvements over W1 to W2 that this would be possible.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

I had very high expecations for The Witcher 2 and ultimately was dissapointed. I prefered the first one

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife

I had very high expecations for The Witcher 2 and ultimately was dissapointed. I prefered the first one

Darth_Kane

The combat is so bad in TW1 I am having a hard time enjoying it.  TW2 looks a lot better.  TW3 looks (keyword being looks) way better than both. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

It's looking really good.

I had the same problem with the first game. I wanted to like it, but couldn't due to the really crappy combat.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

The woman in the video is talking non-sense. First of all she talks about how impressive the game world is and how one small island in the game is the size of the entire game of The Witcher 2 (I really doubt this). Her words.. "I've never seen an open world which looked this real"..

The other IGN presenter then asks her what impressed you the most... her answer is then "ehh probably the new combat"... her words.. "The Witcher 1's combat was junky, The Witcher 2's combat was Really good"...

Sure.. You going to believe a bunch of hyperbole from someone who thinks The Witcher 2's combat is "really good". Also keep in mind this is CDProjekts first attempt at an open world RPG. There are companies such as Bethesda who has been making these games for decades and they're still not close to making an open world RPG close to the description the woman in that video was saying.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

The first game was a very tedious grind. Not only was the combat bad, there were too many fetch quests and it took forever to get to the more interesting parts of the game. 

TW2 is perhaps the most improved sequel to any game that I've ever seen. They made the combat better, made the game less tedious to play, etc. 

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Can't be worse than The Witcher 2. That combat system is almost unsalvageable, two years since launch and they're still patching it.

At least the new engine can draw objects more than 10 meters away.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

The first game was a very tedious grind. Not only was the combat bad, there were too many fetch quests and it took forever to get to the more interesting parts of the game.

TW2 is perhaps the most improved sequel to any game that I've ever seen. They made the combat better, made the game less tedious to play, etc.

The_Capitalist

I agree with this. The second game is miles better. The first game was a yawn fest. Especially the click fest combat which seems like it was designed at the last minute for simple minded people. The second game had much better combat and the story was also much better with less fetch quests.

MasterNinja49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MasterNinja49
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts

No game is going to be perfect, but damn TW3 looks so great. If they revamp the combat system it's going to be a hard game to top.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NaveedLife

Its funny, some people say TW2 is one of the best games ever made, and others say it is overrated and clunky.  Either way, TW3 APPEARS to be smooth in combat and amazing in all other aspects.  I hope it lives up to it.  It is so cool that you can ride a horse around these beautiful rolling hills then sail the stormy seas in a boat. 

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

NaveedLife

The combat is so bad in TW1 I am having a hard time enjoying it.  TW2 looks a lot better.  TW3 looks (keyword being looks) way better than both. 

I totally disagree that the combat in TW1 was hard, yeah...it took a little skill but was much better than tw2. .  The combat and other changes made it much too easy.  Easy-Mode game at any setting, why bother!  I will say that the story in tw2 was very good..but it was just a walk in the park to play.  Actually, I blame the game being dumb-down because of the weakness of the console system!  Please note I Did not say the weakness of the console players which I hold I high regards.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#16 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I liked the combat in TW2 initially until I learned quen could be abused, then it lost some of (ok most of) its edge. Overall I thought the combat in TW 1 was a better fit for the series. Shame they didn't do a better job of imitating dark souls on the gameplay front with 2. 

The Witcher games have never been so much about the combat for me though, exploration, conversation and story have always been the most interesting aspects of the games for me. 

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

--Anna--

I totally disagree that the combat in TW1 was hard, yeah...it took a little skill but was much better than tw2. .  The combat and other changes made it much too easy.  Easy-Mode game at any setting, why bother!  I will say that the story in tw2 was very good..but it was just a walk in the park to play.  Actually, I blame the game being dumb-down because of the weakness of the console system!  Please note I Did not say the weakness of the console players which I hold I high regards.

I think you misunderstood my post.  I said "hard time enjoying it".  Hard was not used in a difficulty sense.  

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I have faith on it. It seens that they have a more clear goal in the gameplay's design, better tools and budget. Witcher 2 changed a lot over it's development period, the final combat system - I'd wager - was probably done too late in it's production. Too many things got carried over from the alpha wich had very similar mechanics to the first one.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I'm one of the few people that likes TW1 better than TW2. Both are superb games, but graphics and combat is the only thing TW2 does better than TW1. The story and atmosphere in TW1 is way better. The locations are fantastic.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

I watch this video from IGN and I cannot help but have my mind blown.  Do you guys really think it will be as good as it looks and sounds?  I am just in awe at the size of the world, detail of the world, and excellent gameplay and graphics and so on.  Apparently there is a ton of stuff to do in an utterly massive world, and everything I have seen thus far shows awe inspiring environments and epic combat.

I just don't quite see how this is possible, but I guess they are that good?  I still need to beat TW1 so I can play 2.  I am thinking I will just rush through it without exploring much.  I hope that style of playing TW1 wont make me miss out on a lot of the lore and characters in TW2 and 3.

NaveedLife

It probably is too good to be true, and they will probably denounce the PC at the last second by making an XBOX exclusive. 

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NaveedLife

I'm one of the few people that likes TW1 better than TW2. Both are superb games, but graphics and combat is the only thing TW2 does better than TW1. The story and atmosphere in TW1 is way better. The locations are fantastic.

Toxic-Seahorse

hahah but the combat is a big thing.  I hated it the moment I started the game, and it had not gotten better in the next few hours.  GS said it was great so I expect something great, turns out it is annoying as hell :P.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Both games had awful combat (and pretty bad character development, too).  Hopefully the the third time's the charm. I've always wanted to like the Witcher games more than I actually have. I've said it before but I think I like CDPR the company more than I've liked their games.

Here's hoping part 3 reverses the trend and the game is actually on par with the company producing it.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
they should just spend time on gameplay. Quality>quantity, I absolutely hated TW2 and it's ridiculously terrible combat. Dragon's dogma and Dark Souls have the best combat, they should be standard for rpg's. The witcher has gameplay that feels more than a decade old.
PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Both games had awful combat (and pretty bad character development, too).  Hopefully the the third time's the charm. I've always wanted to like the Witcher games more than I actually have. I've said it before but I think I like CDPR the company more than I've liked their games.

Here's hoping part 3 reverses the trend and the game is actually on par with the company producing it.

-wildflower-

They need to take some inspiration (copy) from Batman AA/AC and Dark Souls.  Those are probably the two best recent melee combat systems imo.  TW2 was a slight improvement over the first game but still left a lot to be desired.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
Yeah , it blow my mind as well.... Epic detailed world and amazing animations let alone all these things in OPEN WORLD without any loading screens ...? Day 1 for me period.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
This is probably my most hyped game, I loved The Witcher 2 (Witcher 1 was also enjoyable), and the more I see, the more I'm warming up to the idea that the game is open world.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

soolkiki
Me too. They will deliver.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Elann2008

So all you fans and people who have faith in the devs, do you feel that is supported by past games, or was TW2 dissapointing?

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="soolkiki"]

NaveedLife

So all you fans and people who have faith in the devs, do you feel that is supported by past games, or was TW2 dissapointing?

TW1 & TW2 are two of the best games I've ever played. Top 25 for sure. They're one of the best dev teams I know.
Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

Toxic-Seahorse
I agree. Story-wise: TW1 >>> TW2.