The Rebirth of PC Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

--Ryu--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 --Ryu--
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts

http://kotaku.com/355751/microsoft--hardware-manufacturers-to-form-pc-gaming-alliance

Here is to hoping they succeed.

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Nice, I hope this helps get us more good games on the PC. I don't mind playing games on my consoles but I'd much rather play them on the PC.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
PC gaming isn't dead yet... and part of me cannot shake the sense of it being more of a gaming Empire with Gates as the Emperor than it being a gaming Alliance with Gates as Mon Mothma.
Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
If this succeeds,PC Haters will be utterly owned beyond comprehension!
--Ryu--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 --Ryu--
Member since 2008 • 232 Posts
PC gaming isn't dead yet... and part of me cannot shake the sense of it being more of a gaming Empire with Gates as the Emperor than it being a gaming Alliance with Gates as Mon Mothma.foxhound_fox
Don't worry, many people misinterpret the definition reborn. Reborn simply means to be revived or regenerated.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
If you guys didn't figure it out, anything concerning Microsoft is bad for PC Gaming.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

If you guys didn't figure it out, anything concerning Microsoft is bad for PC Gaming.GodLovesDead

Well I guess we are screwed then seeing as the main pc gaming platform is a Microsoft OS :roll:

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

That's cool to see, provided that in luring back developers, they don't also form exploititive shady cartel monopolies that hurt the end consumer.

That said, in the last few months we've had Crysis, The Witcher and Sins of a Solar Empire. Three games that prove that the PC is untouchable in the big three genres. FPS, RPG and strategy. I'm pretty happy with the way tings have been going for the last couple years, and 2008 looks like one of the best years ever.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

It sounds interesting, but you've got to wonder, what is this alliance supposed to do, exactly? The article mentions piracy, so could it just be another attempt to form some sort of barrier against it in order to draw PC developers (that are ignorant and actually think piracy is hurting them big time) back to the platform? I sure hope not, we all know such efforts are futile. Maybe it will be more of an extra incentive they'll have for companies who decide to develop for the PC.

Also, I've got to be skeptical like Fox, here. Remember that these companies are out to make money. This isn't necessarily going to be an alliance that will benefit us, it may just be something to line the pockets of the companies involved first and foremost (as opposed to that being a benefit to them equal to the benefit of more attention and respect given to the PC market in the mainstream media).

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GodLovesDead

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]If you guys didn't figure it out, anything concerning Microsoft is bad for PC Gaming.sSubZerOo

Well I guess we are screwed then seeing as the main pc gaming platform is a Microsoft OS :roll:

Vista is indeed a bad direction for PC gaming, thanks for pointing that out the obvious.

Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]If you guys didn't figure it out, anything concerning Microsoft is bad for PC Gaming.GodLovesDead

Vista is indeed a bad direction for PC gaming, thanks for pointing that out the obvious.

Its not like XP was like it is now when it came out...
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Now that is awesome news, one thing I want out of that is more advertising in a global sense. I truly believe PC games are under advertised and promoted. Not to mention ATI and nVidia should have been doing this kind of thing many years ago, money spent on good advertising could potentially increase their profits.

Of course if true, and if things go well I can see good things coming out of this. This is on top of...

Red Alert 3

Mass Effect for PC

Games for windows (not great so far, but you get the separate client up there with arcade games and watch it grow)

EA play 4 free model

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GodLovesDead
[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]If you guys didn't figure it out, anything concerning Microsoft is bad for PC Gaming.Indestructible2

XP had necessary upgrades (such as 32-bit computing architecture) as well as very basic security features. It's a necessary step up from previous operating systems. Vista on the other hand is unnecessary and is aggressively marketed when it comes to gaming.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts
i hope this is true, PC gaming needs a some sorta love. we need more devs to come back that left us. more exclusives, less ports...
pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts

:D

I hope we get more exclusive titles and more good console games on the PC as well. It would be great to see Halo 3 and Mass Effect (it's coming to the PC in May! Hurray!) on the PC and getting more good exclusives like Crysis.

I hope we get better standarization in Games For Windows like better support for wide-screen (Viva Piñata anyone?) and multi-monitors, better integration with the OS, better drivers. I would like that at some point all the tools would be there for the developers like physics, 3d graphics and sound like a standard, so they would just have to worry about developing good games and in that Microsoft can help.

If they make harder anti-piracy systems nonetheless, it would only be bad for people who buy original games, as we have to suffer annoying methods for anti-piracy which keep you from backing-up your game, having to worry how many times you can install the game (Bioshock...), etc. Piracy will always exist in all systems. If they make better games more people will buy original games. Simple as that.

I think that with all that, with amazing developers like Crytech, Valve, 2K Games and Blizzard, with that success of different kinds of gaming than those of the consoles in games like Sam & Max, more variety thanks to modding and freeware games, with the better technology we're getting and the prospect of having better physics in our games (Havok has been acquired by Intel and Ageia by Nividia) we can expect another golden age for PC gaming.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
I'd prefer a "pc gaming mythbuster team" because that way people wouldn't be so prone into believing stupid myths about using a PC for gaming.
Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

I dont know if I want MS in this "alliance". Microsoft's idea of promoting PC gaming is to have every game on the PC come out on the X-Box first and then release a port a year later on the PC so only those with Vista can play it. I mean if it was upto MS Crysis would have come on the 360 last year and we would see a PC version at the end of this year, and it would not be the game it is now.

MS has conflicting interests and I hope the others dont let MS take too much control.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Sounds great. Makes me smile to see light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully things will go smooth.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
If this means more devs developing for my favourite platform, bring it on. It's time that hardware companies take some action, they are the ones earning most of the money anyway. In fact, I think they should start paying devs some serious money for the work they do. No great games = no nvidia sales records like we had this year. Crysis deserves as much kudos for the sales of 8800 cards as the GPU manufacturers themselves.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

If this means more devs developing for my favourite platform, bring it on. It's time that hardware companies take some action, they are the ones earning most of the money anyway. In fact, I think they should start paying devs some serious money for the work they do. No great games = no nvidia sales records like we had this year. Crysis deserves as much kudos for the sales of 8800 cards as the GPU manufacturers themselves.artur79

yeah totally agree with what u are saying . hardware companies like nvidia and intel make so much money from us, pc gamers. Microsoft, sony, nintendo all sell hardware(consoles) and they constantly paying for exclusives, content etc etc. Its time for nvidia to stop publishing record breaking numbers that are greater than console sales and try to do what nintentdo, ms and sony are doing.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="artur79"]If this means more devs developing for my favourite platform, bring it on. It's time that hardware companies take some action, they are the ones earning most of the money anyway. In fact, I think they should start paying devs some serious money for the work they do. No great games = no nvidia sales records like we had this year. Crysis deserves as much kudos for the sales of 8800 cards as the GPU manufacturers themselves.SamiRDuran

yeah totally agree with what u are saying . hardware companies like nvidia and intel make so much money from us, pc gamers. Microsoft, sony, nintendo all sell hardware(consoles) and they constantly paying for exclusives, content etc etc. Its time for nvidia to stop publishing record breaking numbers that are greater than console sales and try to do what nintentdo, ms and sony are doing.

true ! especially nivida and ati should sponsor/publish few excusive pc titles :P

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I hope this only means, better support, better games and better exclusive and not some stupid copy protection things like starforce
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17868 Posts
[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]

[QUOTE="artur79"]If this means more devs developing for my favourite platform, bring it on. It's time that hardware companies take some action, they are the ones earning most of the money anyway. In fact, I think they should start paying devs some serious money for the work they do. No great games = no nvidia sales records like we had this year. Crysis deserves as much kudos for the sales of 8800 cards as the GPU manufacturers themselves.naval

true ! especially nivida and ati should sponsor/publish few excusive pc titles :P

as long as we dont start seeing ATI or nvidia exclusive games (IE u need an ati card to play game X...it simply wont run on an nvidia card). then yeah.

overall i have to say good news. one thing that PC does need as a gamign platform is more promotion. if these companies get there stuff together and make a good push then it can only mean good things.

however MS still has me worried. they still have the 360 to promote also so theres a conflict of interest. i just hope this isnt another cheap shot to try and promote vista. how far, exactly, are MS going to go? are we going to see some exclusives from them (a new freelancer and crimson skies MS...get too it) or is it still going to be year old 360 ports with a bit of extra content? getting these companies together is all well and good but games talk MS and 360 ports are not exactly going to flatter the PC gamers of today and future PC gamers (and certainyl give little reason to choose PC over a console).

still overall its positive news. anything that can get the PC more attention can only be a good thing.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

"They'll be hoping to lure big-name developers and publishers back to the PC, many of who have walked away from the platform due to piracy concerns and the lure of the console market, and here's hoping they succeed." - taken from link OP posted.

People really need to stop that CRAP!!! :roll:

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#25 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
There only doing it to keep people buying Windows.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

Hmm, not sure if this is good or bad yet. First thing that came to mine mind was some sort of cartel which I don't really see as a good thing.

Second thing that came to mind was this being Microsoft's new scheme to sell Vista.

Third thing that came to mind was turning PC into a console by creating standards for hardware and software used in games.

Then again I'm always a pessimistic doomsayer, so hopefully it all turns out good.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17868 Posts

"They'll be hoping to lure big-name developers and publishers back to the PC, many of who have walked away from the platform due to piracy concerns and the lure of the console market, and here's hoping they succeed." - taken from link OP posted.

GPAddict

well it cant be completly dismissed. yes piracy can happen on all platforms but at the mo its easier on the PC and it is a legitimate concern. its not the sole reason why devs switch to multiplat mind (rising costs would be a far bigger concern) but it is a factor.

Hmm, not sure if this is good or bad yet. First thing that came to mine mind was some sort of cartel which I don't really see as a good thing.

Second thing that came to mind was this being Microsoft's new scheme to sell Vista.

Third thing that came to mind was turning PC into a console by creating standards for hardware and software used in games.

Then again I'm always a pessimistic doomsayer, so hopefully it all turns out good.

EntwineX

1) a cartel is unlikely. intel have AMD by the throat at the mo....why agree to a cartel? also with so few competitors in such a big sector, it would be easily spotted.

2) possibly. that also has me worried. if we start to see loads of announced vista exclusives then eyebrows will be raised. i dont think itll come to that though. therell probably be an element of it but nothign to get worried about id imagine.

3) well some standardisation woudlnt do any harm. it could make development on PC that bit easier. if companies could agree on some things like interfacing with a GPU or code paths to take advantage of shaders then that could be quite a benefit and it could mean that devs can squeez more out of the heardware without worrying so much about "if i do X, will it work on an 8800?". but i dont think the PC will become like a console at all. the standards will remain open, anyone can join and the platform will remain its loveable and constantly evolving self.

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

:D:)Ja,ja,ja!:D:)

An alliance to promote the computer platform?! For what?!

This looks like the "Lord of The Rings" movies,an alliance of humans,elfs and hobbits are attempting to destroy the forces of evil...

I can't even comprehend the connection between "ATi" and "Nvidia".This is totally outrageous!

The computer platform has no needs of promotions,specially coming from "Microsoft".

Lonezerth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lonezerth
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts
Rebirth implies death. Such a thing has not happened for PC games.
sleepanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sleepanimal
Member since 2008 • 76 Posts
PC created games and PC will be the last machine to play the last game!!!:D
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

I got a little problem with the fact there is no pc develloper in the alliance, only a bunch of hardware maker. ( Ms make a lot of profit on the os, but people often forget they also make profit on the keyboard, mouse etc.). If Valve, blizzard, EA, etc. ever get into the alliance, I might take it seriously, because I dunno who are the big name they want to get back to pc game devellopement when we already got some of the best develloper already. (Don't tell they want to bring Bungie on the pc please!!!!!)

I am not surprised to see MS in the alliance, I know they seems to support more the xbox, but the gaming division of MS has been in the red since the xbox1 and I bet they want to give a try to the other options. It's not beause they got a game that sell like billy that they will instantaly make any profit. The last golden era ( for ms that mean profit) of their gaming divison was in 1998-2000 with extremely popular game series like Age of Empire, Dungeon Siege, Rise of Nation, zoo tycoon, etc. I bet they want to return to the pc game devellopment, it cost a lot less to produce a pc game and they don't have to bother to invest billion to create a new console and fix it after lol.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

GPAddict

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6186098.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;8

With the popular image of the average Nintendo DS or Wii users being a jolly family putting in a few rounds of Wii Sports boxing or Brain Training in between croqueting and rounds of bridge, one might expect they wouldn't know a BitTorrent if it bit them on the bottom.

Not so, according to Nintendo of America, which is claiming that the company, together with its publishers and developers, lost some $975 million globally due to piracy in 2007.

I guess everyone will be jumping off the nintendo wagon too, huh?

I really don't know why people jump onPc game piracy like it's the only form there is. There's just as much, if not more, piracy going on int he console world, but the difference is that it takes DIRECTLY from the company pockets because you have entire companies set up to make/distribute console modification hardware and software.

Virrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Virrip
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

good stuff. nice find ryu.

MadeInFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 MadeInFinland
Member since 2006 • 1327 Posts
Em... why Rebirth something that isn't dead...?
Huskerz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Huskerz09
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

If these three start working a little too closely together, gaming PCs will end up being consoles.

Part of the charm of PC gaming is that it gives you a choice regarding your own computer.

If the three biggest players in their respective parts of the PC gaming market work together to make their competitors incompatible with the software (and they can; together, these three can effectively ransom the whole computer gaming industry), we'll end up with glorified consoles.

Folks; scary **** like that is why proprietary software and closed hardware designs and conventions was NOT a good idea in the first place. I know some of you 'mericans loves their capitalism, but THIS here is why we should never have left large monopolistic entities control such large parts of the market.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
Nvidia and ATi should just buy games from publishers and include them in their GPU sales without the intent of making profit on them, the price could go up by only $10-$20. If they ship something like 20 million gaming grade GPU's a year they could even make deals with publishers, say 3 million copies of Crysis will be included, 3 million of Cod4, etc.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
[QUOTE="Indestructible2"][QUOTE="GodLovesDead"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="GodLovesDead"]If you guys didn't figure it out, anything concerning Microsoft is bad for PC Gaming.GodLovesDead

XP had necessary upgrades (such as 32-bit computing architecture) as well as very basic security features. It's a necessary step up from previous operating systems. Vista on the other hand is unnecessary and is aggressively marketed when it comes to gaming.

GodLovesDead obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

On topic, PC gaming is far from dying. Stop reading US sales figures, they lie.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

To quote the Kotaku article:

They'll be hoping to lure big-name developers and publishers back to the PC, many of who have walked away from the platform due to piracy concerns and the lure of the console market, and here's hoping they succeed.

If a game fails because of Piracy (which is never true) then it probably sucks badly to begin with. People who download games and movies buy them if they like them. Some people know they don't have to buy it to see if they like it, some people like more options and less marketing. If these "big-name" developers left the PC, good riddance. I don't see any reason to lure them back into the industry that doesn't accept anything except the best.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts
this is good news , hope it come true rather than a rumer
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

http://kotaku.com/355751/microsoft--hardware-manufacturers-to-form-pc-gaming-alliance

Here is to hoping they succeed.

--Ryu--

Maybe they will finally get PC gamers HD. :D

Lord_Regnier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lord_Regnier
Member since 2006 • 1283 Posts
Good news:)