The MONEY people SPEND on MMOs...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/15/mmo-infographic/

WOW... and the majority are F2P Models so (apart from WoW), that's the new business plans they need to follow.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
who needs to be good at a game when you can pay
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

doesn't include korea and china? Shamefur dispray :P

Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

TIL League of Legends was a MMO. Oh wait..

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

F2P is disgusting. Can't help it but I hate kids and brazilian hackers along with ridiculous grindfests. Even the people on Tribes Ascend were unbearably dumb and they wouldn't be capable of having fun even if their lives depended on it.

Imo mmos signal a pretty grim future for the people that actually play games and work to be good at them.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JigglyWiggly_
F2P is disgusting. Can't help it but I hate kids and brazilian hackers. Even the people on Tribes Ascend were unbearably dumb and they wouldn't be capable of having fun even if their lives depended on it.8-Bitterness
tribes ascend is fine arena especially, you don't need to pay at all. Provided you are good anyway, the other classes are better than stock soldier AR + eagle pistol. But it's what i use anyway.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

MMORPG is like a second job. All dat grinding gears and levels. Pretty sad, but Koreans sure love them grinding games.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

And that's why every studio is trying to make a successful MMO, if you can pull it off - your studio is set.

Granted, there have been plenty lately that have invested a ton of money into an MMO to only have it fail months later.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

MMORPG is like a second job. All dat grinding gears and levels. Pretty sad, but Koreans sure love them grinding games.

Mr_BillGates
Its funny reading comments like this. If someone comes home from work and plays games for 3 hours they are a hardcore gamer and praised for it, yet if someone comes home from work and plays WoW for a few hours each night it gets called a second job...
Nintatterdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nintatterdemon
Member since 2010 • 69 Posts

F2P makes sense for the MMO model. It sucks, but that's what the market has shown it wants. I don't play many MMOs but the few I've played, I preferred the monthly subscription model.

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

I suppose that I do not understand the point of this. They take an entire GENRE and combine it to advertise how much money it made? Who knows what games were all included in this as well. Hell, let's take every single FPS ever created in the genre and see how much it made this year, guarantee it trumps those figures. Let's take the entirety of the sports genre, racing genre, anything.

This is a cool statistic just for the sake of knowing how much it's "worth", but in terms of proving anything else is just dumb. People taking this information and claiming MMO players spend a lot are being incredibly ignorant.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

I suppose that I do not understand the point of this. They take an entire GENRE and combine it to advertise how much money it made? Who knows what games were all included in this as well. Hell, let's take every single FPS ever created in the genre and see how much it made this year, guarantee it trumps those figures. Let's take the entirety of the sports genre, racing genre, anything.

This is a cool statistic just for the sake of knowing how much it's "worth", but in terms of proving anything else is just dumb. People taking this information and claiming MMO players spend a lot are being incredibly ignorant.

trijity
To give it some context $6.5b put's it at a little under 10% of the industries total income per year which is around $70b. So at the very least it proves the MMO market represents a sizable chunk on the markets income and is pretty impressive in a industry as diversified as this.
Bird_Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bird_Killer
Member since 2004 • 235 Posts

$13 billion over 400 million players over dozens of countries isn't anything really significant.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

V4LENT1NE

Its funny reading comments like this. If someone comes home from work and plays games for 3 hours they are a hardcore gamer and praised for it, yet if someone comes home from work and plays WoW for a few hours each night it gets called a second job...

EXACTLY. It's just pathetic balbberings from either jeoulous console gamers that don't have that many MMO's to play, or ignorant people who like to stereotype because thinking before they speak would be too much effort for them.

I know people who feel exactly the same way, even though they EASILY play more than your average MMO gamer, they just play Call fo Duty or Halo instead.

The irony doesn't seem to phase them one bit.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

$13 billion over 400 million players over dozens of countries isn't anything really significant.

Bird_Killer

In what way is it not significant?

In terms of rewvennu per player? That might matter to you, but it means jach $hit to the people in the industry. It's INVESTMENT vs return they care about, and it appears to be doing well in that regard.

Bird_Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bird_Killer
Member since 2004 • 235 Posts

[QUOTE="Bird_Killer"]

Kinthalis

In what way is it not significant?

In terms of rewvennu per player? That might matter to you, but it means jach $hit to the people in the industry. It's INVESTMENT vs return they care about, and it appears to be doing well in that regard.

It's jack **** because it gives broad data that doesn't say much in reality. The "people in the industry" don't know how much they've collectively invested. Let me point out that this infographic is more not to only inform the public the genre makes, but also to raise awareness of the research/database organization that produced it. If the "people in industry" wants data that they care about, then they'd just buy that subscription.

This is nothing more than showing the obvious with numbers that you can't deduce/analyze further with and self-promotion of the site's service.

grimdust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 grimdust
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

Kinthalis

EXACTLY. It's just pathetic balbberings from either jeoulous console gamers that don't have that many MMO's to play, or ignorant people who like to stereotype because thinking before they speak would be too much effort for them.

I know people who feel exactly the same way, even though they EASILY play more than your average MMO gamer, they just play Call fo Duty or Halo instead.

The second job part is in the grinding not the hours spent. A reference to the boring side of the genre that is essential to keep people busy month after month.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] Its funny reading comments like this. If someone comes home from work and plays games for 3 hours they are a hardcore gamer and praised for it, yet if someone comes home from work and plays WoW for a few hours each night it gets called a second job...grimdust

The second job part is in the grinding not the hours spent. A reference to the boring side of the genre that is essential to keep people busy month after month.

So grinding is boring to you.... but what about people that play COD 4 hours straight each night? Or FIFA 4 hours x day? It's the same maps over and over, it's the same football game over and over. Now I agree some people take gaming to the extreme, specially MMOs.
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

[QUOTE="grimdust"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

FelipeInside

So grinding is boring to you.... but what about people that play COD 4 hours straight each night? Or FIFA 4 hours x day? It's the same maps over and over, it's the same football game over and over. Now I agree some people take gaming to the extreme, specially MMOs.

Thing there I think is that normally even if you play matches on the same map on an FPS (take dust_2 on CSS for example) they will hardly come out the same every time, when grinding things often feel like a drag and like more of exactly the same over and over again, not to say it can't vary but when grinding properly you expect things not to vary so you can maximize efficiency. Of course if you play COD for hours on end only to level up that defeats the purpose and it turns into a boring grindfest.

HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HavocEbonlore
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

People have already dropped well over $100 on SOE's Scamside 2.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] Its funny reading comments like this. If someone comes home from work and plays games for 3 hours they are a hardcore gamer and praised for it, yet if someone comes home from work and plays WoW for a few hours each night it gets called a second job...grimdust

Every game has grinding aspects if you play it that way, WoW is actually one of the games that has the most variety.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#22 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Shamefur dispray :Pwis3boi
Just read this out with the spelling as you intended. Thought about where it was from, remembered Shogun 2, then I lol'd.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#23 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
But yeah. Already spent about $30 on GW2s gem store. No regrets either. Is a positive sign for the industry, because I find that one of the primary motivators for player microtransactions is encouraged from the game providing a good service or, at the very least, a good core product. It still has a long ways to go as I still feel that free-to-play games are dominated by freeloaders (who tend to be the most vocal and entitled, despite fairness). But it is without dangers, especially if developers want to try exploit negative psychological behaviours. (ie. Virtual gambling).
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

V4LENT1NE

Every game has grinding aspects if you play it that way, WoW is actually one of the games that has the most variety.

WOW has certainly improved in grinding aspects, it used to be a lot worse. For MMOs, the most variety in grinding I've seen is with LOTRO and Guild Wars 2.
C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

wow, 54% of polish mmo gamers are under 30? Dear god, that's alot of old people filling up the mmo space.

I'd expect that sort of statistic to spread out all over the west in the next decade though.

Go old people, don't let arthrtis stop you from pushing the wasd keys damnit!!! :x Die with a joypad in your hand.

synxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 synxz
Member since 2004 • 148 Posts

Mr_BillGates
Spot on. I grew up playing MMORPG and then discovering other game with less grinding aspects. I thought it was pretty dumb to be wasting time grinding exp or items, or making specific schedules to hunt a rare loot when there's other games out there that offer plenty more variety. Any fps or rts multi match outdones the grinding mmorpg experience. If a match of chilvary or natural selection 2 is the same as repetitious clicking and looting monsters, then that player is beyond salvation.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]Shamefur dispray :Pillmatic87
Just read this out with the spelling as you intended. Thought about where it was from, remembered Shogun 2, then I lol'd.

that's called engrish

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

V4LENT1NE

I believe that anyone that sticks with an MMO even though they are well aware of its shortcomings and they are bored of it yet still play it are pretty loony. "Boring MMO" and player deserve each other.