The International Dota 2 Championships: Aug 26th - Sep 2nd

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
 Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to The International Dota 2 Championships, hosted by Valve at the Benaroya Hall in Seattle, Washington. This Summer, the top sixteen Dota 2 teams in the world descend upon Seattle to compete for the 2012 Championship Title. Three days of double-elimination bracket gameplay await both players and fans, culminating in Sunday's best-of-five Grand Finals. Watch the event in-person at Seattle's famed Benaroya Hall or stream every minute of the action in Dota 2 and online at dota2.com and joindota.com! Coverage of the event will be available on Live Stream with commentary from Tobi Wan Kenobi. Join in with thousands of other viewers as we kick off the group stage event. 16 teams are competing to make it on the Main Stage and take home a $1 million grand prize, or the $600K in runner up prizes. Buy a pennant for your favorite team and you can obtain amazing, super-rare in-game couriers and other special items! A pennant is only $1 and the money goes to the team. Buy a pennant here. All games will be available to watch live in Dota 2. If you don't have the game yet, you can download the free Dota 2 Spectator client now available for all Steam users. Get the Spectator client here. The Preliminaries will be covered by the broadcasters through their respective streams. We will link to live streams in the Preliminaries Watch tab as they become available. The main show will begin with the Double Elimination bracket on August 31st, streaming live from Benayora Hall. Watch it here at dota2.com or through the game with commentary and spectator features. Interviews, photos and other content, for both the Preliminaries and the Main Event, will be available in the Media section on dota2.com. DOTA 2 Official Tournament InfojoinDOTA.com Tournament Coverage Starts TODAY, August 26th at 11AM! Good luck and may the best team win! [size=25]Event Updates[/size] [size=18]Aug 27th Update[/size] After a total of 96 consecutive games played yesterday, teams CLG and LGD come out undefeated with a 6-0 record. Meanwhile, fan favorites coL, na`vi and mouz find themselves up against steep competition, struggling to keep up with a 2-4 record. 12 long hours of games, some of which were casted on live stream to over 28,000 live viewers, others occured in game with an average of nearly 10,000 viewers per game. eSports is thriving here in Seattle this week while these 16 teams fight for their spot on the main stage, where we will see the finals and the $1,000,000.00 grand prize winner of The Second Annual International Dota 2 Championship! [size=18]Aug 28th Update[/size] The last battles on the group stage have concluded today and each of the sixteen teams has completed a best of three match against one another. Team Complexity has made up for their rough start by rolling out 7 more wins, making their record 9-5. Meanwhile, Mousesports, mTw and Darer are showing a surprisingly less confident game than usual. Coming out ahead of the group with an immaculate record is a Chinese team, the undefeated LGD. Their most infamous rival, Invictus Gaming, trailing right behind with 13 wins and only 1 loss. To give you a recap: LGD was invited to The International 2011, however, Invictus Gaming made a move which took away 4 of LGD's players, rending LGD unable to participate in the first International Dota 2 Championships. Now that they've reformed, they're showing unbelivable strength and coordination. This is the kind of rivalry that makes movies, the tension is almost palpable. Who's going to win the second International Dota 2 Championships? We'll find out on the main stage starting Friday, August 31st. Follow dota2.com and joindota.com for tournament info and updates! [size=25]Photos of the Event[/size]  [size=20]Seattle, Washington[/size] Home of Valve and the Location of the 2012 International Championship  [size=20]Benaroya Hall[/size] Exterior  [size=20]Benaroya Hall[/size] From the Back of the House  [size=20]Benaroya Hall[/size] From the Stage  [size=20]First Meeting[/size] Everyone gets the ground rules and schedule.  [size=20]Absolute Legends and Complexity arrived early to scrim[/size]  [size=20]Zenith at the airport[/size]  [size=20]Team DK gets ready for their first preliminary game[/size]  [size=20]Lunch for teams[/size]  [size=20]Relaxing post game[/size]  [size=20]Players taking a break outside[/size]
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Why don't they release the damn game already.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Why don't they release the damn game already.the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Servers, they don't have enough to handle the numbers. You either pay 30 $/euro or w/e the price was and help them get there faster while you're at it, or you wait for them to add more servers and allow new invites or the release.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SKaREO
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Why don't they release the damn game already.DanielDust
Servers, they don't have enough to handle the numbers. You either pay 30 $/euro or w/e the price was and help them get there faster while you're at it, or you wait for them to add more servers and allow new invites or the release.

There's still 18 heroes to add left before the game is done. Dota 2 is currently one of the most played games on Steam, there's no shortage of servers. I'm pretty sure they are letting everyone with previous Dota experience into the beta at this point.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]Why don't they release the damn game already.SKaREO

There's still 18 heroes to add left before the game is done. Dota 2 is currently one of the most played games on Steam, there's no shortage of servers. I'm pretty sure they are letting everyone with previous Dota experience into the beta at this point.

There is a shortage of servers, everyone knows that because Valve "officially" stated it multiple times and every invite wave was done after they set up new server clusters, there aren't any heroes to add to make it complete since they'll always develop new heroes, it won't stop at the original ones, it's absolutely the only reason it wasn't open beta since day 1, they are losing money for not being able to provide it to more people, nobody loses money because he/she/they like it.

They don't really have enough servers even for the numbers they have now.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

As comical as establishing a competitive series for Gears of War.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust

Socijalisticka

If you have no idea what the game you're talking about actually is, not even having a clue about the genre, yes, if not, then you're just a troll, a bad one.

P.S This is like the 15th big towards huge championship Dota 2 had in this last year with God knows how many small time championships.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Socijalisticka

You do realise that DotA had a huge competitive scene since way before Gears of War was even released, right?

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

DanielDust

If you have no idea what the game you're talking about actually is, not even having a clue about the genre, yes, if not, then you're just a troll, a bad one.

DotA - Warcraft 3 without the micro, macro, dynamic creep, expo, scout, army composition, race and map distinctions

Moba is for babies who can't play RTSes.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Socijalisticka

DotA - Warcraft 3 without the micro, macro, dynamic creep, expo, scout, army composition, race and map distinctions

Yep, just a bad troll. MOBA is for RTS and RPG fans, remember then when somebody asks you what a MOBA is.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

QQabitmoar

You do realise that DotA had a huge competitive scene since way before Gears of War was even released, right?

Yes of course. This makes my statement any else true how?

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] If you have no idea what the game you're talking about actually is, not even having a clue about the genre, yes, if not, then you're just a troll, a bad one.

DanielDust

Yep, just a bad troll. MOBA is for RTS and RPG fans, remember then when somebody asks you what a MOBA is.

Having character build doesn't merit the game as an RPG. Nobody refers to Wc3 as an RTS/RPG hybird. And as I've shown, moba is severly lacking as an RTS.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SKaREO

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Socijalisticka

Having character build doesn't merit the game as an RPG. Nobody refers to Wc3 as an RTS/RPG hybird. And as I've shown, moba is severly lacking as an RTS.

Warcraft was always an RPG/RTS hybrid in my opinion. RTS is traditionally played 1v1 at the competitive level. This is a team game. I agree that RTS is harder to master, but the team dynamic required to play Dota competitively is what makes it stand out.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Yep, just a bad troll. MOBA is for RTS and RPG fans, remember then when somebody asks you what a MOBA is.DanielDust

RPG fans? Really :? ?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust

>_> broken piece of sht website and forum*quote post 12*

Watch it people we've got another jakes on our hands "I play pure RTSs because people go pro on them, so I myself am a pro, too pro for anything else".

It's actually THE description for MOBAs, you have no clue about the genre of course you don't know people call it an RTS - RPG hybrid set into an arena in a 5v5 format with waves of mobs. The character and everything related to it is RPG, except "some" skills for "some" heroes that have strategy elements, the field/arena is almost entirely that which makes the strategy part of the game, genre.

Warcraft was always an RPG/RTS hybrid in my opinion. RTS is traditionally played 1v1 at the competitive level. This is a team game. I agree that RTS is harder to master, but the team dynamic required to play Dota competitively is what makes it stand out.SKaREO
You don't have to mention opinions, because Warcraft 3 unlike 1 and 2, was an RPG - RTS hybrid itself, not just some of its mods.

And

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] Yep, just a bad troll. MOBA is for RTS and RPG fans, remember then when somebody asks you what a MOBA is.N30F3N1X

RPG fans? Really :? ?

Yes my man, is it too hard to understand? RPG AND RTS fans AKA fans of both genres, at the same time, etc.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] Yep, just a bad troll. MOBA is for RTS and RPG fans, remember then when somebody asks you what a MOBA is.SKaREO

Warcraft was always an RPG/RTS hybrid in my opinion. RTS is traditionally played 1v1 at the competitive level. This is a team game. I agree that RTS is harder to master, but the team dynamic required to play Dota competitively is what makes it stand out.

DoW, Wc3? Hell Wc3 functions even better as a team game than a solo game (though 1v1 is fantastic in itself). The ability to crush an enemy purely based on unit composition is withheld. We have all won 3/4 v 5 matches on DotA without a sweat, try to win a 2v3 or a 3v4 match on Wc3. Your prospects have diminished greatly.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 N30F3N1X

Yes my man, is it too hard to understand? RPG AND RTS fans AKA fans of both genres, at the same time, etc.

DanielDust

:lol: RPGs aren't competitive games.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Got tickets to TI2, heading down to Seattle with my friends on the 30th :D. I don't really follow the competitive scene, but I've seen a couple of "amateur" streams and I can only think the professionals will make it that much more intense.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Socijalisticka

Watch it people we've got another jakes on our hands "I play pure RTSs because people go pro on them, so I myself am a pro, too pro for anything else".

DanielDust

I'm apathetic to whether you enjoy DotA or not, nor do I consider myself a professional, as that would be delusional. What is delusional is the consideration of Moba on the field of competitive gaming.

It's actually THE description for MOBAs, you have no clue about the genre of course you don't know people call it an RTS - RPG hybrid set into an arena in a 5v5 format with waves of mobs. The character and everything related to it is RPG, except "some" skills for "some" heroes that have strategy elements, the field/arena is almost entirely that which makes the strategy part of the game, genre.

DanielDust

I hold a more strict defitinon for RPG, which rejects only mere character build. Such lenient definitions allows for the plethora of modern shooters to be considered FPS/RPG hybrid. I care not what people consider Moba to be, the majority of modern gamers aren't exposed to actual RPGs, they lack the authority to make such claims. Moba is so utterly stripped out, that it cannot be called RTS, only RTS derived.

vikoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vikoro
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I found a Dota 2 International live stream link.. http://www.dota-utilities.com/2012/08/dota-2-international-2012-live-stream.html i find this Dota 2 interesting... wondering if anyone could lend me a key for it..
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
Wish they'd make a UK server so that i could join with English people. They made a Russian server, but they seem too dumb to realise as the Europe servers are still plauged with noobism.
WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WizardGlass
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

I'm apathetic to whether you enjoy DotA or not, nor do I consider myself a professional, as that would be delusional. What is delusional is the consideration of Moba on the field of competitive gaming.

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

I hold a more strict defitinon for RPG, which rejects only mere character build. Such lenient definitions allows for the plethora of modern shooters to be considered FPS/RPG hybrid. I care not what people consider Moba to be, the majority of modern gamers aren't exposed to actual RPGs, they lack the authority to make such claims. Moba is so utterly stripped out, that it cannot be called RTS, only RTS derived.

look out everyone... we've got a badass here. tread lightly.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SKaREO
Added some photos in the first post.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Not sure why that GIF was warranted. DOTA 2 looks fun and I am just annoyed that there is no timetable for the game to become available for everyone and not just select few.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Socijalisticka

DoW, Wc3? Hell Wc3 functions even better as a team game than a solo game (though 1v1 is fantastic in itself). The ability to crush an enemy purely based on unit composition is withheld. We have all won 3/4 v 5 matches on DotA without a sweat, try to win a 2v3 or a 3v4 match on Wc3. Your prospects have diminished greatly.

You either:

are not serious

or haven;t played DotA.

You can;t compare RTS to an ARTS compettive wise. Aside from the RTS like controls and some heroes requring some amount of micro, they have nothing to do with each other.

And did you seriously imply that RTS games have a competitive scene for...team games? lol.

Also, sure you can win 3v5, 4v5 etc in DotA. Just like I've won 2v3/1v2 in SC2 many times. In low level pub games, that is. Try to play any mid level and above DotA games 4v5, and see the other team dancing in your fountain by the 20 minute mark.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Yes my man, is it too hard to understand? RPG AND RTS fans AKA fans of both genres, at the same time, etc.

N30F3N1X

:lol: RPGs aren't competitive games.

I'm.....It's.....dude are you trying to troll or what? I've no words to describe what you just said in the posts you made in this thread, my man, do you have some screws loose? 1) I'll say it again, it will eventually get through to you, RPG and RTS hybrid, RPG and RTS at the same time, RPG elements in an RTS game. 2) That's the most stupid thing I heard in a while, and I've been reading jake's posts, RPGs are competitive, I'm sure you even know an example, if you "think", really hard.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 N30F3N1X

I'm.....It's.....dude are you trying to troll or what? I've no words to describe what you just said in the posts you made in this thread, my man, do you have some screws loose? 1) I'll say it again, it will eventually get through to you, RPG and RTS hybrid, RPG and RTS at the same time, RPG elements in an RTS game. 2) That's the most stupid thing I heard in a while, and I've been reading jake's posts, RPGs are competitive, I'm sure you even know an example, if you "think", really hard.DanielDust

It doesn't matter if it's a hybrid. What you're saying makes absolutely no sense.

"RPG fans" don't give a flying sh*t about competition in RPGs. One of the main features of RPGs is that they depend on the skill of the character, not that of the player. What they look for in an RPG has nothing to do with MOBA. Please just take your retarded grey matter elsewhere and learn something about RPGs.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
babysitting competition
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#32 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

babysitting competitionJigglyWiggly_

No, it's not. It's a skill-heavy game and you can very easily tell the difference in skill among players.

WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WizardGlass

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]babysitting competitionSovietsUnited

No, it's not. It's a skill-heavy game and you can very easily tell the difference in skill among players.

agree. anyone that has played more than 10 DOTA games knows when they are with good players, and when they are with bad players. i have probably played well over a thousand games, and i can pretty much tell if im going to win or lose a game in the first 15 minutes. MOBAs BELONG on the competitive scene. they are custom made for it.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

How sick, after a weekend of LoL coverage I get to round it out with Dota 2 coverage. :)

Should be highly entertaining!

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N30F3N1X

How sick, after a weekend of LoL coverage I get to round it out with Dota 2 coverage. :)

MLBknights58

BONK

Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Thanks for making the post TC.

DotA2 International 2 has been amazing so far showcasing some godly plays. It is the only esport that interests me besides Starcraft 2 and I am loving the support Valve is giving to the game esports wise.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SKaREO

Thanks for making the post TC.

DotA2 International 2 has been amazing so far showcasing some godly plays. It is the only esport that interests me besides Starcraft 2 and I am loving the support Valve is giving to the game esports wise.

Priapus101

No problem. I was expecting an article about it to pop up on Gamespot considering it's such a big tourny with huge prizes. Dota 2 has gathered quite a large audience in the past year. Valve is doing an amazing job with the competitive suport for this game, but I honestly have my hat off to IceFrog for really turning it up a notch with the Dota 2 development.

There's been some really great improvements to the esports scene, including the new "team pennants" feature. I'm not sure if everyone has heard about this. You can buy a pennant for your favorite team for a dollar, then if your favorite team scores a multikill in a match, there's a chance you will win a super rare courier. Also, a portion of the money generated from pennant sales will go to the respective teams. Win-win for fans and gamers!

---

After a total of 96 consecutive games played yesterday, teams CLG and LGD come out undefeated with a 6-0 record. Meanwhile, fan favorites coL, na`vi and mouz find themselves up against steep competition, struggling to keep up with a 2-4 record. 12 long hours of games, some of which were casted on live stream to over 28,000 live viewers, others occured in game with an average of nearly 10,000 viewers per game. eSports is thriving here in Seattle this week while these 16 teams fight for their spot on the main stage, where we will see the finals and the $1,000,000.00 grand prize winner of The Second Annual International Dota 2 Championship!

Stay tuned for more action all week!

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

N30F3N1X

BONK

Been happening an awful lot lately when I post here. :/

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 N30F3N1X

Been happening an awful lot lately when I post here. :/

MLBknights58

Know that feeling. The first time it happened to me I posted the same thing 3 times. Damn noob webcoders.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#41 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Move over London 2012...

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Socijalisticka

You either:

are not serious

or haven;t played DotA.

You can;t compare RTS to an ARTS compettive wise. Aside from the RTS like controls and some heroes requring some amount of micro, they have nothing to do with each other.

QQabitmoar

Stripping out all the RTS elements, restricting control of non-hero units and establishing only a single map does not allow for dynamic, unique gameplay, so much so that I couldn't possibly compare the two. How about I create a custom map for cs which restricts a map to only a single corridor, while enabling auto-aim and regenerating armor. It may not be cs anymore, but does that alter the game to a point that I couldn't compare it to any other gametype?

And did you seriously imply that RTS games have a competitive scene for...team games? lol.

QQabitmoar

Yes, Wc3 can be even greater appreciated in AT I would argue.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Socijalisticka

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]babysitting competitionSovietsUnited

I can do the same for Gears of War, it must be a skill-heavy game as well.

WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WizardGlass
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

babysitting competitionJigglyWiggly_

are you HONESTLY arguing that DOTA isnt a skill based game and WC3 is.... when DOTA was created using WC3? this is blowing my MIIIIIIIND
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="WizardGlass"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

are you HONESTLY arguing that DOTA isnt a skill based game and WC3 is.... when DOTA was created using WC3? this is blowing my MIIIIIIIND

cod is created from quack 3
WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WizardGlass
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="WizardGlass"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

no, it wasnt. it was created using the same graphics engine... not the game. DOTA uses the assets, skills, and mechanics of WC3. it is a mod and therefore borrows EVERYTHING from the game that it is a mod for. there is nothing in DOTA that you cannot find in WC3 itself.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="WizardGlass"] are you HONESTLY arguing that DOTA isnt a skill based game and WC3 is.... when DOTA was created using WC3? this is blowing my MIIIIIIINDWizardGlass

no, it wasnt. it was created using the same graphics engine... not the game. DOTA uses the assets, skills, and mechanics of WC3. it is a mod and therefore borrows EVERYTHING from the game that it is a mod for. there is nothing in DOTA that you cannot find in WC3 itself.

you mean the same engine gota work on dat strafe jumping
WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WizardGlass
[QUOTE="WizardGlass"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] cod is created from quack 3JigglyWiggly_

you mean the same engine gota work on dat strafe jumping

ummm.... what?
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#49 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]babysitting competitionSocijalisticka

:? No you can't. Stop talking crap

Anyone can pick up and play GoW and kill a "pro" with some luck, in DotA you can't. Just shoot and chainsaw, or spam shotgun from close range. Your first time playing DotA is going to be your first fail as well. And your RTS argument is downright ridiculous cause you're comparing two different genres. I bet you would get destroyed the moment you played with a game with someone who knows what he's doing

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

Socijalisticka

DanielDust

Sure, a moba is not an RTS, that is why it's called something else..

If you have not tried League of legends, Heroes Of Newerth, Smite or Dota 2 - you should give one of them a try..

The strategy in a typical moba games comes to play, when you try to counter the composition of the enemy - which is usually 5 heroes with a plethora of skills and 6-8 items.

It's true that you do not compose an entire army - instead you compose a part of the army/team, which have to be efficient against the enemy as well as preferably having a synergy effect with the rest of your team/army.

In a traditional RTS you encounter the enemy in some small skirmishes and maybe one or two battles before it's game won, before the battles you try to scout out your enemy and find out how he has composed his army, so you can counter it - in moba games, you cross blades with enemy and are up close to him pretty much 95% of the time and you typical "counter" the enemy team composition from gamestart to game won, by going back and shopping some needed gear.

Besides thinking of composition, which is traditionally what you do in RTS games, you also need to deploy tactics in order to win the overall strategic goals, these include ambushes/planned attacks/attack priorities etc.

and then there is the aspect of a gamer against another game, in a moba, you get to see your opponents move almost all the time, which means you almost get to "know thy enemy" before a game is out ie. you know if he is agressive and if you can lure him to attack you while the battlefield is in your favour or if he is defensive and you will need to take him on - on his ground of choosing or maybe even force him onto your ground.

These are some of the reasons why I think it's perfectly "sane" to call moba games a blend of amongst other genres, the RTS genre.

BTW.

I just found out about Smite yesterday, it's dota in 3D and it's pretty fun and different, if you want to check it out - just google Smite and join the beta, I got the key an hour after signing up and I think it's pretty open so there is a good chance you will get one (500k online yesterday).